+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is so much fat hatred in this thread

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-04-2012),Purple Lily  (25-04-2012),SassyMummy  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The guy who threw the tantrum disgusts me. There was no need to be so rude and humiliate a fellow human being like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    This is not going to be a common occurance. People that are 130kg+ can still fit in their seat apparently... so you've got to be really quite large to spill into the seat beside you (or just wide).

There are plenty of things that happen on flights which will annoy me... but if I SERIOUSLY want to avoid these things, then there's an option for me to pay more to flight business and potentially avoid these situations. If you're really paranoid that you may be seated next to someone so large they spill into your seat, then make sure it doesn't happen. Otherwise, it's just what goes with buying a ticket on an economy flight. It's not about comfort - it's about getting you from A to B cheaply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglemuffin View Post
    Yes it's humiliating for the man whose overweight but show some consideration to the poor person who had to sit next to him. That's a huge breach of their personal bubble!

I loathe it when people get too close to me, on top of that overweight people sweat A LOT and in my experience everytime I've say next to an overweight person I've been left with a wet patch of sweat from where we had physical contact and a majority of the time they have terrible body odour. The flight from Brisbane to Sydney might be short but it's definitely not going to feel like it when you have someone sitting on top of you or in someone's lap.
    Woah... Overweight people do not all sweat profusely, neither is their body odour any worse than anyone else. Personal hygiene issues are extremely, well, personal and can't be generalised across an entire group like that. I imagine that could be a pretty hurtful thing to hear.

No one was asking him to sit in anyone's 'lap'. There were evidently empty seats, he could have and should have politely asked the flight attendant to move him for everyone's comfort. No question, he should have been polite and respectful.

I'd be happier to show the 'poor man' who threw the tantrum some consideration if he'd behaved with more tact and decency.
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 25-04-2012 at 11:53.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    There is so much fat hatred in this thread
    Yep, pretty disgusting

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think anyone deserves to be publicly humiliated.

I don't think anyone deserves to have to share their seat with someone else and be uncomfortable.

I agree that it isn't fair to larger people to have fewer or more expensive options for travel due to their size, however it also isn't fair to smaller people to have to put up with being uncomfortable because they are seated next to a larger person.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-04-2012),RainbowSky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Wouldn't you feel just as discriminated against being made to pay more for a larger economy seat or first class? You're saying it's okay to charge more because people are bigger, that is not what sassy said at all. She said it would be good if they had larger seats to accommodate there was no mention of paying more. What if you're a pregnant lady who's very large? Should she be discriminated against and made to pay more for a larger seat? I don't think so.. Just my opinion
    Actually, Sassy specifically suggested that we all pay $20 (just as an off the cuff figure) extra to allow for those larger seats, and that was what I was commenting on.

A few people have mentioned discrimination, but I don't really see that as a relevant or useful term here.

In this instance people are not being discriminated against because of their weight. What people are talking about is ensuring that those who sit in a seat on an aircraft need to be able to fit into that seat. That's not a random arbitrary discrimination based on an irrelevant factor.

If someone cannot fit into their seat, and spills over on to another passenger's seat, then I think it is a problem. It is unfortunate for the larger person, but there is no reason why another customer should have to share their seat in that way. That's a bit like saying that if someone larger doesn't fit under their airline blanket then it's okay for them to steal half of their neighbour's blanket, and the neighbour has to just put up with it.

The argument about smaller passengers getting a discount is also irrelevant. A smaller passenger is not taking anything away from another passenger.

The issue here is not how big someone is, or hating larger people, but whether we can work out a better system, so that a larger person can sit more comfortably and the person next to them can have the space that they have paid for.

If that means the larger person has to pay more, then I am afraid that may be the only option (as no others have come forth so far). That may seem unfair to those who are larger but, as pointed out a few times in this thread, the situation we are describing is very rare, and the practicality of it is that if they are taking the space of, say, 2 paying customers then it is unfair to expect an airline to not charge extra for that. As a PP said, an airline is a business and exists to maximise profits.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

There are plenty of things that happen on flights which will annoy me... but if I SERIOUSLY want to avoid these things, then there's an option for me to pay more to flight business and potentially avoid these situations. If you're really paranoid that you may be seated next to someone so large they spill into your seat, then make sure it doesn't happen. Otherwise, it's just what goes with buying a ticket on an economy flight. It's not about comfort - it's about getting you from A to B cheaply.
    Agree. So many things impact on my comfort when flying, mainly loud and unruly kids and babies that cry, but also loud talkers, drunks, people kicking my seat, others constantly walking up and down the aisle, using lights when everyone else is sleeping, others assuming the shared arm rest is theirs for the entire flight, not putting your seat up during meal service, people that smell of BO, ciggies or just bad and others using most of the overhead carriage space with carry on, because they're too
    cheap to pay the extra when they really should. A bit of acceptance, tolerance and empathy for other people's situations goes a long way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Agree. So many things impact on my comfort when flying, mainly loud and unruly kids and babies that cry, but also loud talkers, drunks, people kicking my seat, others constantly walking up and down the aisle, using lights when everyone else is sleeping, others assuming the shared arm rest is theirs for the entire flight, not putting your seat up during meal service, people that smell of BO, ciggies or just bad and others using most of the overhead carriage space with carry on, because they're too
    cheap to pay the extra when they really should. A bit of acceptance, tolerance and empathy for other people's situations goes a long way.
    Agreed, but why can't that go both ways? I feel extremely uncomfortable with a stranger pressed up against me in my personal space. Having paid for my seat, then why should I have to share it with someone else?

IMO, a baby crying or someone using up all the locker space can be inconveniences, but not as personally confronting as having someone touching you all the time.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (25-04-2012),Shoopuf  (25-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    cheap to pay the extra when they really should. .
    Ah the way I see it, if Im going to pay for economy seats, I'm going to have to put up with the possibility of all the above things, and also that there may be a rather overweight person in the seat next to me. People can disagree with me all they want, but in my personal opinion, if I want to travel in the upmost comfort, I will go business or first class, and if I can't afford to, well, i'm just going to have to put up with the possibility of being uncomfortable for my flight.

I feel so sorry for very overweight people when they get on planes, you just know they are scanning for their seat and praying they have enough room for the person next to them.

I do agree with the pp when she said about airlines having bigger seats in a certain section. I know I for one would be paying a little extra to have one if there was one available.
    Last edited by GothChick; 25-04-2012 at 12:54.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (25-04-2012)