+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Scratched and dented car. WWYD

Yesterday DS and I were walking out of the shopping center and back to the car, when this old and beaten up Ford Festiva parked next to us. The car was parked right on the line, about 30cm away from my car.
    There were 2 adults in the front. In the back there was a baby capsule, a 4 year old and a 6 year old boy (Im just estimating the ages) The 2 boys were not sitting in a carseat. It was very very cramped in there.

Anyway, the woman (mother I assume) was yelling at the boys to hurry up and get out of the car. I knew what was going to happen next.....
    The 6 year old pushes the door wide open and slammed it into my door. The result was a dent and a scratch
    The father (bare foot, filthy trackies and foul mouthed) first didn't notice I was standing there watching them. He wanted to walk away until I said: "Next time be careful when you open your door. You just dented and scratched my car".
    The boy ran off, like he knew he was in trouble. His mother ran after him.
    In the mean time the father walks upto me saying "These f*cking kids are going to get it!!! Im sick of their f*cking ****!! I f*cking hate these little c*nts!!!"
    The mother dragged the boy back and his father walks upto him and smacks him on the back of his head, followed by his face and stomach with a flat hand. He was swearing at him like you wouldn't believe

He then asked me what I wanted to do. He said he couldn't afford any repairs so if I wanted to get a quote, he would have to pay it off monthly.
    I put DS in the car and thought about it. I then decided to leave it as it is. I told him I would try to polish out the scratch and the dent wasn't too deep. My car is already 3 years old anyway.
    The guy thanked me and they walked off.

My father now calls me an idiot. According to him I should have gotten his details and got him to pay for a paint job. Yet if you looked at the car, you would know it wasn't insured. Also, if the boy already gets belted like that in public, God knows what will happen to him when they get home and dad is looking forward to a repair bill caused by him

What would you have done? Would you have gone on to get the guy to pay for the minor repairs? Or would you have let it slide?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That sounds awful, I'd have done the same as you and then been very tempted to make a report to docs for the rest of what you saw.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (24-04-2012),chubbasmummy  (24-04-2012),Gothel  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think in that case I'd claim it on my insurance. I wouldn't want people like that knowing my details.

I think what you did was very considerate Couldn't hurt next time to make a quick call to the police, I've called the police before after witnessing child abuse, they're always helpful.

FYI I used to drive an old beaten up car, it was *always* insured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    That sounds awful, I'd have done the same as you and then been very tempted to make a report to docs for the rest of what you saw.
    ^^^^^ this!

I would have gotten his details just to report him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My main concerns were the smacking and lack of carseats for the boys. I think that if I had asked for his details, he would think its because Im going to claim repairs on him and he would hurt the child even more.
    I can't tell him I just want his details so I can report him to DoCS.

I do have his number plate written down as Im thinking of calling the cops to let them have a look at the car seat situation and to let them know what I witnessed the guy doing to the boy.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it was my current car, then I would probably ask for a token payment - such as $50.

If my car was a fancy car and thus insured but the repair would be expensive, then I would probably ask for an amount equal to my insurance excess but would take him up on a reasonable payment plan.

I might also suggest a Positive Parenting course or speaking to the GP about the children's behaviour. (That might start the ball rolling for them to get help, without going through the draconian route of reporting to the authorities.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a lovely thing for you to do. Yes, he should pay for it, but ultimately the children's well being is much more important and you are very kind to put that first.

I would definitely call the police. Or docs, or both! That truly is horrible that the father did and said those things, I can't imagine how awful life must be for those kids. You can be the stranger who makes a difference!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    If it was my current car, then I would probably ask for a token payment - such as $50.
    Its only a 3 year old Nissan Micra. So nothing fancy. If it had been a BMW or something, than I would've thought about it a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeymoonbub View Post
    I can't imagine how awful life must be for those kids. You can be the stranger who makes a difference!
    I just wonder how those kids feel when their father tells them how much he hates them. That boy must've been in trouble before, which is why he ran off as he knew he was going to get belted
    The guy had no shame. Didn't care if anyone was watching him.

I think I will go and call the cops now. Again, if he abuses a child in public without any shame, God knows what happens behind closed doors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, I'd report him to the police for child abuse. They would have come out to you then and there. (I reported a woman for hitting a child at a playcenter and the police were there within half an hour).
    They would also see the lack of car seats in the car, and if it was a bomb of a car they would probably check it for safety.

Then Id make him pay through my insurance company. I don't like people like that at ALL. He probably lives his life without responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have got the guys contact details so I could make a report to docs but probably not worried too much about the car. If it had been an adult that put the dent and scratch in then I would have probably made them pay.