+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    On a slightly unrelated note.. Did you know I was told (by a reptile show guy) that redbacks are almost unheard of these days.. (I've not seen one in over 20 years) due to the rising numbers of pest gecko (those yukky pinky whitish coloured ones that poo all over the place).. Apparently those pest geckos eat redbacks.. Down side is they also eat our native skinks the little brown ones.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Plenty in our yard!! Red backs that is.

We had a juvenile brown snake come into our house when DD1 was only a crawling bub. I very nearly caught it with my bare hands (mumma bear instincts lol) but it went back into the door frame that it came through, and got stuck. We closed off the holes in the door frame to stop it coming inside again. We the called the snake catcher who said to call back when the snake is out of the frame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    On a slightly unrelated note.. Did you know I was told (by a reptile show guy) that redbacks are almost unheard of these days.. (I've not seen one in over 20 years) due to the rising numbers of pest gecko (those yukky pinky whitish coloured ones that poo all over the place).. Apparently those pest geckos eat redbacks.. Down side is they also eat our native skinks the little brown ones.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    We must be having a lack of geckos here then. I get redbacks each and every year in our backyard as we live in a very damp area.
    I get the pest control to spray for them each year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in Melbourne (Eastern suburbs) and I haven't encountered a snake but lots and lots of spiders. We get the odd whitetail in the house and in our garage we have had redbacks often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't handle most spiders.. I am quick to kill them or if my partner is home I get him to take them outside!

Snakes well DP keeps, breeds and works with them so I have no issues with them. I'm actually jealous of those that get them in their yards.. We have to go looking for them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DF and I live on an acre and a half and have seen three snakes around the house since we moved in last year. One was curled up under the dog's bowl! We have killed them all. I know its not nice but I'm sure there are plenty more where they came from...

Spiders inside get a nice hit of mortein.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I encounter a snake every time I walk into my lounge room - her name is princess :-)
    Me Too! Cept our python is called Penny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We saw a redback in my friends backyard. Our daughters were playing in the sand/water table and it walked across the sand beside my daughters hand. My friend killed it with one of the little plastic sand toys.

We live in inner north eastern Melbourne, so definately still redbacks around here. I'd rather the geckos a pp mentioned.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio View Post
    Me Too! Cept our python is called Penny.
    How awesome are they?! What breed is penny?

Oops - sorry to hijack! Will start a separate thread :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa44 View Post
    My DF and I live on an acre and a half and have seen three snakes around the house since we moved in last year. One was curled up under the dog's bowl! We have killed them all. I know its not nice but I'm sure there are plenty more where they came from...

Spiders inside get a nice hit of mortein.
    Just FYI it's actually illegal to kill snakes in Australia..

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JNC_B2012 For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (29-12-2012),Danigail  (25-04-2012),Guest1234  (24-04-2012),Nmgb  (30-12-2012),onedayatatime  (25-04-2012),shellfisch  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our backyard is infested with spiders. There is this shrubby tree thing that is covered in webs. Unfortunately it is a rental otherwise it'd be long gone.

Haven't seen any snakes in Melb yet. When I was growing up & living on the farm with my parents we had many snakes each summer (we lived near a wetland/swamp & a creek). One summer the count reached 20-25. Had some in the house on several occasions.
    Didn't bother with a snake catcher; too far out of town & it would take too long for them to get there. So the snake would likely have disappeared by the time someone got there, and we were not prepared to risk leaving it. If a snake was seen there was a general call to arms (shovels & solid boots). A good shovel & boots are kept on hand at all times during the hot months at my parents.

We would always keep an eye out when outdoors, be careful of sticks or likely hiding places etc.