+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Snakes and spiders

Have you encountered snakes and spiders at home or in your backyard? What did you do? How to protect your bubs?

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes both! Squashed the spiders and when we see a snake we go inside and ring the snake catcher. Very very vigilant when outside about snakes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a black snake encounter in our laundry - it came out from under the washing machine, glided between my feet and the pram wheels where bub was sitting and disappeared under some boxes.
    I slowly took bub and myself out of the laundry and rang the snake catcher to come.
    Snake could not be found and a few days later showed up again crossing my neighbours yard and heading for ours. The neighbour took matters into his own hands and sadly the snake was killed.
    Yet, I did feel a sense of relief because I knew it had been hanging around. I'd found a shedded skin before the first sighting.

Our second encounter was a couple of weeks ago and it was a common tree snake.
    I kept girls away until it left our property.

I always supervise outdoor play. When entering the yard I do a visual scan and always check carefully the area where I keep the outdoor toys.
    I make sure I am the first to enter the area not dd.
    I've told the eldest one to never touch a snake and always to report one to me. She knows they are dangerous.
    For my little bub, I stay right next to her if I put her on a a mat on the ground
    Spiders - haven't had an incident but I don't allow dd to play near our pots where I know spiders might hang out - or in our wood stack. This goes for snakes too really.

What has prompted you to ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use surface spray to keep the spider numbers down and taught the kids to tell me if they find one and not to pick it up. As for snakes ,if you have a lot of them then a check of the yard before play including cubby houses etc helps and make sure there is nowhere for them to hide like piles of branches or tin. Oh and it is handy to have the snake catchers phone number handy incase you do find a big one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    I use surface spray to keep the spider numbers down and taught the kids to tell me if they find one and not to pick it up. As for snakes ,if you have a lot of them then a check of the yard before play including cubby houses etc helps and make sure there is nowhere for them to hide like piles of branches or tin. Oh and it is handy to have the snake catchers phone number handy incase you do find a big one.
    Agreed!

But ring if you see a small one too - some of our most deadly snakes are actually quite tiny and you'd never guess it by looking at them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spiders die - my husband is terrified of them.
    Snakes - we've had 4 in the 2yrs we've lived here. They get left alone. Unless I recognize them as dangerous...we back onto a creek so they are usually carpet snakes. Plus we get lots of frogs so naturally there'd be snakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course! We live on 2 acres. Just the other day I took my 4 year old outside to look at a green tree snake that was hanging out in a shrub behind the house.. I use it as a great opportunity to talk to him about snakes, teach him not to ever go near them and if he sees one he knows to turn and run yelling "snake snake snake! ". We also have taught him that if his ball goes into the garden he is NEVER to just walk up and pick it up.. He goes to get a long stick and fetches the ball that way (in case a snake is curled up in the bushes..)

Spiders.. Same thing. We don't kill them, we catch them and let them outside.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 24-04-2012 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do get spiders and the odd snake, but tend to leave them.

The snakes are only carpet pythons and it was only in the compost bin at the back of the yard, and then it disappeared. Another day, we found a skin. It it was a dangerous snake or in the house, I would call the snake catcher to relocate.

With spiders, we tend to only get house spiders and huntsmen, so no issues, and they are just left alone in the house. If I found a red back or something nasty, I would get the pest control people out, I think.

I've told my son that we don't touch snakes or spiders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a slightly unrelated note.. Did you know I was told (by a reptile show guy) that redbacks are almost unheard of these days.. (I've not seen one in over 20 years) due to the rising numbers of pest gecko (those yukky pinky whitish coloured ones that poo all over the place).. Apparently those pest geckos eat redbacks.. Down side is they also eat our native skinks the little brown ones.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 24-04-2012 at 13:27.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (25-04-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I encounter a snake every time I walk into my lounge room - her name is princess :-)

Spiders get squished.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (29-12-2012)