+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ohh god this is sooo true.

I have a 3 year old little girl, who is in love with Thomas the Tank Engine...

But he is a "boys" toy. so there are no girls thomas clothes! Everything is marketed as "boys"
    DRIVES me insane.

The shopkeeper asked me how old my son was, when I lugged all my thomas stuff up the front...Ohh..its actually a girl.

She said, its so sad they have not made a pink thomas...

right.......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 4 year loved Thomas...generally I steer away from buying branded stuff but she does have a Thomas sleeping bag and a Thomas helmet. My dad commented on her 'boys' sleeping bag and I jumped down his throat.

As far as Lego goes, I am actually excited that they are bringing out the 'girls' version. DD1 loves, loves, loves Lego but she is right in to pony's too and she owns all the Belleville stuff and then we bought her a generic house which she said she liked but she wished it was pink (being that she simply likes that colour). She has some of the Lego city stuff too but her eyes light up at the new Lego that is out. Considering Lego is constantly being aimed at boys I'm glad there's a 'girly' version of Lego out now to accomodate different tastes. I won't force her to play with that Lego, nor would I not allow my DS to play with the 'my friend' Lego (that's what it is called isn't it?) but DD1 is forever building houses for her Lego people to live in and some of the stuff in the 'girls' Lego is pretty cool...like the BBQ that lights up and things like that. I don't like that it is being marketed for girls and girld only..Lego is Lego but I do like that there is more variety to the Lego.

As far as Shiloh goes...it drives me nuts how the magazines talk about angelina and Brad wanting her to be a boy and forcing her to be like her brothers and comparing her to Katie and Tom's kid. FFS, just let them be kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    If one of their boys wanted to dress in a more feminine way maybe they'd think that was fine to share with the world too?

Fitting in with society doesn't seem to be on their agenda. Good for them.
    Im not into celebrities and all that. Its been 2,5 years since I watched/followed a TV show or even the news.
    BUT I wouldn't be too sure if they are happy for one of the boys to dress up in a pink fairy outfit. Maybe one of the boys indeed likes to dress up as a fairy, but they are embarrassed of him and have done/will do anything to prevent a photo made and published of him wearing a fairy dress?

Again, a girl wearing boys clothes is more acceptable (tomboy) than a boy wearing girls clothes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

share a book  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try not to have licenced things, but as a tween I now need to guide rather than only provide what I want her to wear. She has a Bindi Irwan sleeping bag, some TTTE clothes, some Saddle Club clothes and band/music artist clothes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Ok I agree with their points, particularly that it's seen as not kosher to dress boys in pink or let them play with dolls. Gender stereotyping is simply not healthy for growing children and them being themselves.

BUT..... I kind of get the feeling they have gone the other way, and they are actively discouraging their DD (the one that has a girl) to like anything 'girly'. In essence she is doing exactly what she is fighting against. Some girls like dolls and pink...and I know some will argue it's bc of stereotyping... but does that mean a girl can't like pink now without it being said it's been thrust upon them?

Take DD - we went to great pains, as we did DS, to NOT force her into a pigeon hole. But from probably a year old, she just gravitated towards pink, flowy dresses, frou frou stuff (much to my distaste lol) I actively encouraged her to wear blue and tried to move away from that 'feminine' stuff... to no avail. When I asked her why,it wasn't that pink was a girl's colour, or girls wear pretty dresses. She said I just love the colour mum, it's so soft and pretty. I love flowy dresses bc they are pretty and flap out when I spin.

I'm very much in support of not gender stereotyping. But actively discouraging IMHO, has the same result as encouraging pink...or trucks for boys. Sometimes they like pink bc well, they like that colour, and who am I to tell her she is not allowed a pink castle?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree del. i draw the line for DS with things that are overly violent for his age group (nerf guns etc) but I would imagine if I banned trucks, action figures and the like he'd be more likely to rebel and want it more. I don't encourage nor discourage anything (bar the violence and things that are out of his age range) and let him choose what he likes without infouence. Unfortunately, this means the school kids have a lot of influence but he knows what he likes and dislikes and I will always teach him that it's up to HIM what he wants to wear and play with. He happens to sleep under a pink and purple quilt, but is the loudest, confident, car and action figure obsessed boy in town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As for the actual colour pink, I don't think it's feminine Especially the sickly pink aimed at very young girls...it's kinda like the fashion from a bad 1980s music video clip.

Too much blue can be over the top, ANY obsession with one colour can be over the top. I don't find the boys isle *quite* as limited as the girls but at least there is a range of colours, and a blue sea for the globe pmsl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    II don't encourage nor discourage anything (bar the violence and things that are out of his age range) and let him choose what he likes without infouence.
    Yep that's me too. No influence, I just support their interests. I have in the past with DD and I regret it. DS is Ben 10 crazy atm, and to begin with,I wasn't a fan. It can be violent and is very 'boy' iykwim. But then he loves Barbie too.

I've actually put a good deal of thought into this subject.. should I discourage Ben10 bc it's a boys show and only encourage barbie? then that would be my agenda and I'm doing just what that story was against, just in reverse.

Some children can like same gender stuff without it being thrust on them at home, and I know there's society too. But my kids developed their likes before they even were effected by the outside world.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's all about balance, which my dd demonstrated earlier when she emerged in pink flannelette pj's, a pink cardboard crown in her head, carrying a foam sword, a truck under her arm and her dad following behind (as instructed) carrying the cardboard shield. When we go out she often carries a pink fluffy purse....with a couple of dinosaurs inside.
    Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-04-2012),lambjam  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    bleergh.....i hate pink.

but having just had a baby girl i am having to get used to it as everything has some tinge of pink somewhere! i have compromised on purple!!

with my son i hated that there was so little variety compared to girls clothing too.

i love that angelina jolie is setting an example with her little girl and letting her choose her own style which is rather masculine. and as a hounded celeb, most would force her to look pretty for the cameras. say what you want about angie, but at least she is forward thinking.