+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Girls and Boys aren't the same they have completely different bodies and hormones/testosterone. I don't know why so many people focus on trying to make them the same. If your and open parent who doesn't mind their sons/daughters wearing or playing with items designed for the oppposite sex, then I don't see the big deal? Marketers with always do what brings in $$
    Boys and girls bodies are the same except for the genitals until puberty begins. That is when the sex hormones come into play, not in childhood. T-shirts, jumpers, shorts, jeans and underwear could all be unisex items until puberty with a small selection of skirts and dresses for those that want them. Also, on clothing, why is it boys shorts go to the knees and their t-shirts almost to the elbow, but girls shorts are hotpants and t-shirts almost singlets? Do girls not need sun protection? Why do boys always have much better elastic in their undies that is thick and doesn't dig in while girls have that thin stuff that leaves marks at their legs?

As a parent you can be as open as you want and encourage your child to play with toys marketed towards different genders, but they feel social pressures to conform. This pressure either comes from the marketing itself if they see it, adults who want them to follow traditional gender roles, or their friends who have been influenced by all of these things. It's not as simple as you think.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When dd was younger I bought Rivers jocks for her because they were longer lasting. Now she is older I buy girls knickers because they fit better but don't last as long.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Girls and Boys aren't the same they have completely different bodies and hormones/testosterone. I don't know why so many people focus on trying to make them the same.
    For me, it is about not relegating them to certain roles in play (where they are learning a lot about their place in the world). Girls and boys do have differences and have different learning styles and in general seem to excel in different academic areas, but we should not remove the option of exploring and learning about the other areas that are non-traditional. I get really frustrated with finding all of the mummy-domestic toys in the girls section and all of the cool hands on toys like science sets and building things in the boys section. Boys often gravitate to these things more than girls do, but telling little girls that the toys where they can build a toy with articulated joins and arms are for boy means that they may be deterred from playing with a toy that gives them an opportunity to flex that developmental muscle - and it may just put her on the back foot at pursuing a career in engineering, as an example.

The colour thing is funny though. My DD has a lot of pink, but I will get her lots of things in (what I consider) more neutral colours, but others seem to regard as boys colours. I got DD a smart trike and I just got the only one in the store which was blue, green and orange, intellectually I considered it to be neutral but another part of me rationalised that it would also be fine to use it if we ever have a boy. I was very annoyed at myself for thinking that way - why would I not put a boy on a fun toy that provides excellent opportunities for being out and about in the neighbourhood, to go to the park, just because it might be pink????

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I was very annoyed at myself for thinking that way - why would I not put a boy on a fun toy that provides excellent opportunities for being out and about in the neighbourhood, to go to the park, just because it might be pink????
    I think there was probably a whole lot of evil hand rubbing on the day the first toy company realised that if they made a tricycle in orange or green they would sell one tricycle to one family, as it would be passed down from one child to another. But if they made it in pink and blue the same family might well buy two of them, being unable to pass on the pink tricycle to the younger of their pigeon pair .

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (24-04-2012),share a book  (24-04-2012),threechooks  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently started a thread "would you buy a doll for your 2yo son".
    I was advised to do this by Early Childhood Intervention, but my father scoffed at the idea. He said it would turn him gay
    DS now has 3 dolls and he takes 2 of them to bed and 1 is permanently in his arms when we're out and about. I have had parents raise an eyebrow when they see him trying to give the "baby" a bottle, but noone has ever said anything about it yet.

The colour pink isn't the only thing that frustrates me. Its the excess in the amount of clothes, shoes and toys for girls, that is ridiculous. It doesn't matter which shop you go to, you will always find that there are more clothes, shoes and toys aimed for girls than there are for boys
    I get a lot of people asking me for boy-ish coloured items, but I keep telling them that it's very hard to find "boy" colours. Im lucky if I can find something unisex these days.
    Besides, define "boy colours". There are NO boy colours. Girls wear every colour in the rainbow, without a worry. However, putting pink and purple on a boy is definitely a no no. Why???

I now have decided to let DS guide me when it comes to clothes and toys. If he wants a pink pram or a blue truck than that's fine. He can get them for Christmas if I can afford them. Im not going to say "noooo that's for girls only" anymore.

For those of you who say that their DD's absolutely LOVE the colour pink and don't like any other colours, do you think it would be different if their toys, clothes and shoes would be available in ALL colours and not just pink and purple?

Thanks
    Reviews
    gendered marketing makes me

..buuut - I'm a victim to it.

no way I'd buy a freaking pink globe though!

the 'pinkification' ?? -- is that like the 'goodification' ?
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 24-04-2012 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what i'm trying to say, just isn't really getting across (i suck at wording) But I don't think it's a new problem that has just come on because of marketing, it's been a problem for a long time, I actually find society today wayy more accepting then older generations.
    I don't think you suck at wording at all, I think your posts are always thoughtful and well-written .

You make a good point here; I shudder to think of what would have become of DS2 had he been born a generation or two ago. You know, when they used to beat the "gay" out of you if you showed any sign of individuality .

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's interesting to note that in very recent history it was the opposite way around (pink was considered to be a boys colour).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    It's interesting to note that in very recent history it was the opposite way around (pink was considered to be a boys colour).
    Yes, because it was considered to be a form of red... which of course it is!

And blue was considered soft and feminine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I hate all the "boy toys," and "girls toys," in even toddler ranges now!

When DD was little - Little People were Little People - there went "pink pet salons," for the girls and then some other alternative for boys. Lego was Lego - there were girl minifigs if you searched for them, but they weren't wearing pink clothes and dealing with pink blocks to make their own little design studio or anything. There was ONE baby playcentre thing... it didn't come in boy colours and girl colours, just one option. There weren't "pink rattles," and "blue rattles." There was just colourful rattles.

Bleh. I hate all the girlified crap. Really, that's what happening... the unisex stuff is now "boy stuff," and then they're making pink versions of everything. Ick.

Personally, that bubblegum pink makes me feel stabby, so I hate it... but even if it was a more appealing colour I'd still hate it. Why does my daughter need pink everything? I'm okay with pink, and her playing with pink junk... but why must everything be pink? What's wrong with white? What's wrong with blue or green ro red? Why must it have flowers and pink and stuff all over it?

Often, when I could find something non-pink I'd go for it... and even when she was a baby I prefered to dress her in a range of colours.

I dunno, I kind of think kids don't need to be taught, "you're a girl and this is what girls like." I think you can get pink tool kits for kids now... DD has a Bosch kids tool kit... not "girly" at all.