+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why girls aren't pretty in pink

Linkity link

I too was particularly revolted by the idea of a pink globe... because our primarily blue planet was obviously created to be marketed at boys .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (24-04-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate pink too. Unfortunately, if you have a girl, it is hard to escape. I wish more toys and clothing were in primary colours. Why do we even need seperate sections in stores for boys clothing/toys and girls clothing/toys?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Each to their own. If that's what they want to do good on them.
    They are welcome to come over and tell DD all about it. Although the very suggestion that she has to much pink or worries about her hair too much might come with a rather nasty protest.
    DD is what she is I have no intention in changing her personality for the sake of making a "stand" against pink or gender roles.
    DD still knows she can achieve anything she wants to obviously all while having great hair. Nothing wrong with that.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

chubbasmummy  (24-04-2012),Littlemissmetal  (24-04-2012),Maybelline  (24-04-2012),mummaof4  (24-04-2012),nicoleE  (24-04-2012),Shoopuf  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yup. Another hater here too.

I should clarify though, that while I hate the colour/sex segregation in shops, blue = boys, pink = girls and how boys toys are always pushed as the tools and trucks while the girls are dolls and beauty, I don't hate the colour pink specifically, I just treat it like any other colour, meaning that if my DD can wear blue, my DSs can wear pink.

We just try to treat all colours the same, colours aren't sex specific.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I find the whole thing bizarre, it never used to be so bad but now we have all of these opportunities for boys and girls, we want to put them in neat little boxes and make sure they don't stray. I just don't get it.

Of course most of the children are going to be attracted to the toys AIMED and marketed at them, that's the entire point of the marketing campaigns!!

It's the marketing that need changing, not the children themselves.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't get me wrong; I love pink, it's my favourite colour. It's also DS2's favourite colour, and I certainly don't stop him choosing pink toys.

I think what really befuddles me is the need to market certain things to a specific gender at all. Yes, dolls are traditionally marketed at girls and superheroes at boys. But globes? Blocks? Slides?

Besides, there are so many more colours than pink and blue. I love the challenge of dressing DD in clothes that are feminine yet not pink; in the sea of pink and purple at any given gathering, she always gets compliments too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont really see anything wrong with it :-/ Dd is obsessed with Disney princess's, "princess" was actually one of her first words! She picked up a book in the shop one day and everytime she spotted something Disney princess she'd clap,smile and shout princess. She chose to like the Disney princess's.

But she also loves Thomas. I dont not buy her Thomas the tank engine toys because their "boys toys". She plays with train tracks and match box cars.

I bought her a pink cozy coupe because I wanted her to have pink car.

I dont think putting boys playing with a science kit is saying it's a "boys only toy". I dont think having pink or blue sticker prices on boxes mean anything. If a boy wants to play tea parties then he wont care what colour the tea pot is! I've seen blue tea sets aimed at boys in shops.

I personally like the pink for a girl and blue for a boy thing. If dd wanted a pink globe I'd get it and if she wanted a blue globe I get her a blue one instead. She still plays with trucks and trains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessC View Post
    I dont think putting boys playing with a science kit is saying it's a "boys only toy". I dont think having pink or blue sticker prices on boxes mean anything. If a boy wants to play tea parties then he wont care what colour the tea pot is! I've seen blue tea sets aimed at boys in shops.
    But it's likely that they will care. If a boy perceives something as being girly, there is a huge social pressure to not play with it.

It's not as simple as saying the marketing caters to the preferences the children already have... what's true is that in many cases the marketing creates the preferences. And that's the problem these women have with it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (24-04-2012),Opinionated  (24-04-2012),soccer mum  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me and my friend went to buy some clothing for my baby (me being pregnant) and we didn't know the sex. We chose a lovely singlet with a yellow duck on the front, and were informed by the staff member when we went to buy it 'that's for girls, if you don't know the sex yet, let me show you the unisex items'. I mean, really - it's for a new born!! We walked out, pretty miffed, don't think I'll be going back there again!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel VERY strongly about the obsession with gender stereotyping children. It bugs the heck out of me.

I like to buy my niece lovely clothes and it can be a real challenge finding nice clothes which aren't pink, glittery, furry and just overall tacky.

On the other hand, my son loves pink and it is a challenge finding some of his favourite things in pink. His favourite shoes are his pink spotty crocs, which were sourced from the girls section.

I have found that some people IRL are very strict about their son having blue items only. My sister gave some unused dummies away to a friend who had just given birth to a baby boy...the pack contained one green, one blue and one pink. The friend took the first two but refused to use the pink one because he was a boy. I mean, really?!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (24-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012),threechooks  (24-04-2012)