+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice plz for 9 month old solids & self feeding?

Hi, my little boy is 9 mo's old. He is struggling with solids.

He won't chew but likes chunky, 'soupy' textured food. The problem is he swallows it straight, chunks and all without chewing. Sometimes the chunks don't go down immediatly so they rest on the back of his tongue causing him to gag. Sometimes this causes him to bring up most of his meal, but not always. Usually after this happens, he's a bit shaken and won't eat another bite.

He has never liked putting things in his mouth, even his toys. During meals I leave tiny pea-sized bits of bread and soft veggies out to get him interested in self-feeding. He'll pick these up and play with them and won't eat them himself but he'll happily eat them if I hold them in front of his mouth. But sometimes these pieces will also make him gag and throw up his meal.

I know you're not meant to compare your baby to other babies, but I can't help but notice that all the other babies in our group hold entire bits of bread and chew them with their gums and swallow no worries! My little man gags on a pea-sized piece.

Am I making his food too chunky? Should he be self-feeding by now? I am not wanting to force anything on him, just looking for some advice and maybe reassurance that he's normal! I give him a mix of homemade food and jarred babyfood, and I always make sure what I buy is for his age. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try giving him large pieces that he can hold properly and gum/chew. Steamed broccoli zucchini sweet potato carrot are good. That way they have control over how far it goes on their mouths.

You might want to try baby led weaning. Elijahs mum here on bub hub is the resident expert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You need to try teach him how to chew and Izzys Mum idea on BLW is great, try find the book if you can

Cut up some thick sticks of raw cucumber (leave skin on) and let him suck/gum off the flesh , then as she also mentioned large steamed pieces if broccoli , cut the stems long so it's easy to hold, and put them on his tray, let him pick up and play with them and hopefully he will put them to his mouth ( especially if you sit with him and eat some so he can watch you)

Take it slowly, 9 months is still a learning time and his main source of nutrition is still his milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. We've had some changes. After I read a bit more about BLW we've been having some luck. He likes picking up big things and putting them in his mouth rather than have me pull bite-size pieces off a hunk of bread, for instance. I am feeling much better! He is slowly gumming and chewing so this is a big step. Thanks for the support!