+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breast feeding

Just a quick question. If u formula feed does your baby need the pre milk that comes out (I can't remember what it's called sorry it's on the tip
    Of my tongue) or can you just do formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is important for baby to get colostrum but I do know mothers who have gone straight to formula.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (24-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would really try and get the colostrum into them as its like liquid gold and so beneficial for them but I dont suppose it's the end of the world if they don't have it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (24-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is best if they can have the colostrum for the first few days and you never know if you begin breast feeding you find you want to continue with it but either way your baby will be ok.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maple For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (24-04-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys, i tried breast feeding with my 1st, he got very aggressive towards my boobie so he went on formula but started on the boob, my 2nd went straight on formula but my partner made me give her colostrum and then the nurses didnt give me anything to dry me up so i got that thing in your boobs where they get rock hard and get the red patches and you get sick, so im not sure what ill do for baby number 3 when it decides to be alive in there. when i was little i went straight on formula, and i seem ok (i have asthma tho but it runs in my family) so im just not sure, i no formula will be more convenient with 2 young kids as well as a baby and i didnt like getting my boob out when i tried with DS i felt uncomfortable, but thats me everyone is dif, but breast is best so they say and i wouldnt need to worry bout bottles... im just a little confused with this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went straight to formula with my son... hes never been sick a day in his life and hes 11... i personally... and its just my opinion... i dont believe theres any health benefit to any part of breastfeeding...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to webby For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP what about expressing for the first few days and feeding him the colostrum from a bottle? If you can't that's ok but colostrum has so many benefits to a newborn baby plus your colostrum is unique and gives your baby antibodies that are specific for your environment and the exposure you’ve had to various viruses and bacteria

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Doc  (25-04-2012),~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like everyone is saying, colostrum is important but its up to you. I know a few people who have gone straight to the bottle. I also expressed some colostrum (painful nipples) and fed her with a dropper.

I found breastfeeding with my first painful and toe curling, hated it, perserved and even say the lactaction consultant at the hospital. Still hated it. Second bubs - took to it great - different babies are different. You may find it not so bad the next time.

You probably had mastitis last time - best cure is massaging to "break" the lumps out. I found it easier in a warm shower (I never quite got mastitis but did get the lumps). Other thing for mastitis is cold cabbage leaves - sounds crazy but true.

Another way to make the milk dry up less painful is to express a tiny bit out - just to keep your boobs less painful.
    Last edited by Stephv; 25-04-2012 at 18:04.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephv For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go with the intention of breast feeding, so that bub's can get that colostrum because it really is liquid gold. You might find that this bubba takes to bfeeding like a pro and you are happy to continue. If not then you could always express that liquid gold and then formula feed after if that is what you want. But I would def get that first bit of liquid gold into bub

Webby, I get that, that is your opinion but I really dont understand how you can think that breastfeeding has no health benefits at all :-/ That is so bizarre !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I went straight to formula with my son... hes never been sick a day in his life and hes 11... i personally... and its just my opinion... i dont believe theres any health benefit to any part of breastfeeding...
    It's not really a matter of opinion- science shows there are numerous health benefits. Some people exaggerate them, sure, but you can't deny the fact that breast milk contains the mothers antibodies and that in itself is a benefit.
    OP i agree with PP- try for the colostrum if you can. If you can't do more than that then I think formula is the best substitute we have access to. BF is not for everyone for various reasons.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-04-2012),Etienne  (25-04-2012),GreenMama  (25-04-2012),MilkiCuddles  (25-04-2012),Mod-Zeddie  (25-04-2012),smallpotatoes  (25-04-2012)