+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think he is waking for comfort?

My LO is 17 weeks this week, he hasnt yet mastered the whole sleeping through buisness but i think he is getting better. For the past few days now, he will have 150ml around 10/11pm, then around 2/3am he will wake up grizzly/crying so i will make a bottle of 150ml thinking he would drink the whole lot, but these last few days he has only been drinking 40-50ml and then going straight back to sleep. Then he wont have a bottle till he wakes up around 6/6:30am.. Do you think he is waking for comfort rather than because he is really hungry??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is he too cold or too hot?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really wouldn't be expecting a 4mo to sleep through, the 5/6 hour stint that he is already doing is good.

If you feed him put him back in his cot awake and let him go back to sleep by himself (with a bit of patting if required). He will start to learn how to put himself back to sleep and that way when he wakes and isn't hungry will hopefully just turn over and go back to sleep.

If you really think he doesn't need that milk you can try and resettle with shhh/patting etc for 20 or 30 minutes but if he gets too upset then feed and put back down awake. BUT at your bubs age IMHO I would still be feeding and concentrate on helping him learn how to self settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was doing the same thing and waking up at 2.30am. The first night I gave her a dummy and patted her back to sleep and the second night she grizzled a bit but I didn't go in and she went back to sleep.
    Her first feed for the night is now at 4am and even now she isn't interested in feeding properly until 6.30. Apparently little ones just form habits and keep waking at the same times even if they're not hungry. They are just used to seeing you at that time and struggle to get themselves back to sleep.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou!! I have checked many times to see if he is too hot or cold so i honestly dont think it's that. I feel like he is waking on habit around 2/3am as without fail it would be right on the hour most nights. Tonight if he wakes i will try shhing/patting him to sleep in his cot for 10-15 minutes, and if he shows signs that he is obviously hungry i will feed him.

I just thought it was a little odd that he use to wake 2-3 times a night and drink 150ml without fail every single waking in the night, and now he will have the one 150ml and the second time will only have 40-50ml then back to bed, and generally wont have another bottle till anywhere between 6:30 and 8am.

I dont expect him to sleep through the night yet either, i mean not even i can sleep through the night without waking up so i definitely do not expect my babe to either, i just was wondering whether or not he was waking at that time from habit..
    Thanks so much for your respones )