+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would never compare how I feel about the loss of my pet to how someone else feels about the loss of anything.
    But to me, my animals are my family they've been there when family have not. I lost one dog in September and another in Feb and am still grieving over them. I was sadder about them passing than a family member(I know I'm a horrible person). But that is me personally, I don't know how it feels to loose a child, and hope I never do, but my dogs are my everything!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't understand their POV but I don't agree at all.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see the need to compare grief, unless people are asking you to draw on your experiences. It is totally ok to say, 'I'm sorry for your loss, I can only imagine the pain you are feeling' and to be there while they grieve.

As for a grieving person, you shouldn't have to validate your grief with a comparison, if this is the most painful thing you have experienced, say that, dont grandstand it and lessen someone elses grief by making comparisons

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok I wrote that in a hurry after not even one cup of coffee. They lost their cat, he was their baby. I get that, mine is too. But it came after I wrote that a kid was hit by a slow moving car at an intersection notorious for hooning, imagine if the kid was hit by someone doing 80 instead of 30 (the intersection has giveway signs, that driver was stopping, many fly straight through).there are kids constantly riding bikes and idiots go too fast for kids to make decisions on what to do. It's only a matter of time before someone's kid gets killed or ends up on life support!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think he difference is that animals only have short lifespans, parents are not supposed to see their children pass away, they should outlive them, while you expect to outlive your pets, so I would never compare the two

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really do think it is human nature to try and empathise with others.

So we look within ourselves for a similar time those emotions might have been invoked?

..people say stuff without thinking - quite often.

and when grief is involved I think all rational thought goes out the window.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (24-04-2012),SuperGranny  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel it is wrong to take what a person has said in empathy and analyze it till you find something wrong with it. Not every person will say the right thing but they tried.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (24-04-2012),SuperGranny  (24-04-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntyamber View Post
    I think he difference is that animals only have short lifespans, parents are not supposed to see their children pass away, they should outlive them, while you expect to outlive your pets, so I would never compare the two
    This was my thought too.
    You KNOW that what your pets adverage lifespan if and when you buy it you kind of know in the back of your mind that you will need to say goodbye at to it at some point in your life.
    When you fall pregnant, you can not even imagine saying goodbye.

I think the person who likened it was kind of speaking without really thinking and shouldnt be soo harshly judged...might have been one of those brain fart moments where they want to say something helpful but it doesnt come out right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the heartache of losing a pet, i've lost a few pets over the years & just yesterday, my dog was rushed in for an emergency c - section due to one of her pups getting stuck & she lost all of her babies, even after the vet tried for over an hour to resucitate them. The puppies were so beautiful & the mother is fine & recovering well but we are all incredibly devastated.

However, i don't personally believe this would come anywhere near to the pain of losing a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Ok I wrote that in a hurry after not even one cup of coffee. They lost their cat, he was their baby. I get that, mine is too. But it came after I wrote that a kid was hit by a slow moving car at an intersection notorious for hooning, imagine if the kid was hit by someone doing 80 instead of 30 (the intersection has giveway signs, that driver was stopping, many fly straight through).there are kids constantly riding bikes and idiots go too fast for kids to make decisions on what to do. It's only a matter of time before someone's kid gets killed or ends up on life support!
    I would imagine that they would grieve the loss of their pet moreso than the loss of a person they did not know, which may be were their comment is coming from. I am going off what you said you wrote on your Facebook status. It sounds like you and the pet owners did not know the child who was killed. It is of course a tragic event. People grieve in many ways - there is no right or wrong way.