Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh you think that's bad.

If there's unhealthy foods in my preppie's lunchbox the teacher on behalf of the school substitutes it with a piece of fruit, which is added up, and you have to pay for at the end of term. The type of "offending" food is written in a note that is sent home with the child, along with a list reminder of what and what is not considered "green smiley foods!" and "red sad foods", if you can even stomach those revoltingly sickly sweet terms.

In this manner we learned that two homemade yoghurt drops, you know the ones that are the size of a fingernail, are "unhealthy".

I've just about exhausted my resources for fruit-and-vegetable-only snacks that appeal to a high-energy five year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question but please explain to me the difference between my child eating a whole apple or one that is sliced up and dried in my own dehydrator at home? No sugar is added, the apple is literally peeled, cored, sliced and put in the dehydrator overnight…… I really don't see much difference.

-)
    Dehydrating the apple takes out most of the vitamin c , water and fibre and drying it concentrates the sugar and calorie content which ups the sugar percentage to over 70%
    ( im not having a go at you I'm just a
    nutrition nerd!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question but please explain to me the difference between my child eating a whole apple or one that is sliced up and dried in my own dehydrator at home? No sugar is added, the apple is literally peeled, cored, sliced and put in the dehydrator overnight…… I really don't see much difference.

Allergens, closed in shoes, hats, t-shirts rather than singlets all seem like safety issues to me and therefore are reasonable. Perhaps the worry over sugar content is because teachers feel some children become hyperactive and they, the teachers, are unable to deal with this?

All I can say to this is thank goodness my child attends a private school where this rot hasn't yet been leaked. My children don't often get lollies, chips and chocolate so if I wanted to treat them with a surprise in their lunchbox I should be able to.

And just had to comment on the previous post about a little boy messing his pants because he didn't want to lose a point for his house - what an utter disgrace and poor excuse for a human being that teacher must be!! I hope that boys parents put in a formal written complaint and that teacher was raked over hit coals for abusing his/her position in such a way!! My DS had a relief teacher in kindergarten one day and came home telling us that this teacher wouldn't let them go to the toilet during class and one little boy nearly wet his pants. It wasn't our son who was put in that position but we spoke to the school about it and they were horrified and the teacher was spoken to.

I wonder how long before the government tells us which bedtime stories our children are allowed to be read and where we must get their haircut?? This makes my blood absolutely boil!!!!!!

Disclaimer - none of this is directed in any narky way at you nemmi :-) just me blowing off steam, only quoted your post cos you said about the dried fruit thing :-)
    Excess sugar consumption can lead to weight problems, diabetes etc.

The policies have nothing to do with hyperactivity.

The government introduced these policies to combat the obesity epidemic.

Personally I think its crap, and one other major health issue on the rise in australia is eating disorders (children as young as four - six are showing symptoms and or have things like anorexia, bullemia etc)

But the government thinks the easiest place to tackle it is in schools and pre schools

I just have to put the other side out there as I have been in the position to see people abused because the shapes etc were sent home and its just not fair on the worker to cop it.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    ( dried fruit has more sugar than coke! Try and also buy organic if you buy them as they are also full of nitrates and sulphates)
    Sulfite free, I'm intollerant to them. The dried fruit she likes is prunes and due to their effects, she gets 2-3 at most in a container with other chopped fruit and veg.
    I actually do only send healthy food, which is why I flipped my lid over a couple of prunes last year. They have not mentioned the prunes since, and my second child is taking them at least weekly this year. All or nothing policies are ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No dried fruit? DD eats mainly vegetarian and dried apricots are an important source of iron for her, hence almost a staple in her Kindy lunchbox - right alongside things like fresh berries, grapes, peas, carrots, cucumber, homemade hommous & wholemeal salad sandwich I'd be kicking up a stink about that one.

While I dont think this is something teachers should be taking up with kids, for the most part I'm glad they're encouraging healthy eating because it makes my job that bit easier.

But I don't see how those pouch yoghurts are necessarily "healthy". They're the one PIA for me ATM, because other kids at Kindy have them so DD pesters me for them endlessly. I shudder to think what life would be like if the other kids were eating a whole bunch of other packaged foods that she would hassle me for! And they don't fit into the rubbish free policy either, but everyone has them

Anyway, IME of spending lunchtime at DD's Kindy, if kids brought inappropriate food, the teacher told them it wasn't really Kindy food, but allowed them to eat it and then sent a note home.
    Last edited by bada; 24-04-2012 at 04:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Elijah's Mum - I found your comments on dried fruit confusing as it's different from what's been said in my current unit of study, nutrition. The drying process doesn't strip fruit of nutrients like vitamin C. They only have excess sugar if sugar is added before, during or after the drying processes. Traditionally dried fruit is actually very healthy and the US and European Union have them listed as part of their healthy eating policy. Dried fruit because it has most of its water absorbed provides a great source of fibre.

OP - that is ridiculous. I agree with a healthy eating policy that educates the parents without punishing the children. Way to give kids a complex about food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    healthy eating is fine, to educate but not dictate. So long as lunches adhere to policies such as allergy etc then kinders/schools need to back up with the holier than thou attitudes to lunch box politics.
    ^yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have lunchbox police, but they only make sure kids have sufficient lunch, and if they don't have much they are given fruit. They also check for nuts. Any nut products are taken off them. The school is a nut-free zone even for staff. Too many are highly allergic to nuts in that school for chances to be taken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about kids who have little/none or constantly unhealthy lunches because their parents are neglecting them? Parental education is the key here and shaming of the children is not. I dare say though that certain parents who are advised about this would unlikely adress the issue (or know how/be able to) but this is the same for any caregiving issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Ohhhh I hear your frustration - my son takes home made yoghurt to kindy and I was questioned about it, because it smells too sweet apparently! Its bloody yoghurt made with milk powder for goodness sake!

my sons kindy is a joke with this, it drives me mental

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast