Closed Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with Rainbow Sky - I think in theory it is a good idea to encourage healthy eating ( not punish the child) and replace the banned food with another option not let them go hungry!
    For those posters who said my kid my food you can't tell me what to feed my child etc ( I think you all would probably give healthy food anyway!) but would you support another parent saying the same thing sending her kid to school every day with coke, cold burgers, fatty fried food or like a pp said just a bar of chocolate?
    I would assume the strictness is not for the average mum who sends a muffin but the one who really has no clue and truly sends rubbish food daily? Some parents do need to be told what is healthy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012),RainbowSky  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Some parents do need to be told what is healthy
    Yes! Education, not belittling parents etc... I don't get why people think 'moderation = a little bit once a day' ? Moderation is like once in a blue moon for us! Sugar and high fat foods dont need to be consumed, we get enough sugar from fruits and natural unrefined sweeteners and fats should be consumed from avocado, coconut oil seeds and nuts...

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012),Guest1234  (24-04-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    the problem with this is it is most often not the teacher or care givers fault, we are made enforce this cr@p by the government and docs.
    If we dont follow it, we loose funding.
    From working and studying in childcare I can assure you it is only going to get worse
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    You cannot stop my child from eating what I pack them, regardless of what the policy is. I am responsible for their nutrition for 168 hours per week, kinder has them 12 hours per week, and school 30. It is up to me to decide how to balance their diet, not some child care worker, teacher or government. All hell would break loose if someone pulled this crap on my kid. Education is compulsory, but submitting my child to dietary control by teachers/ carers is not. I would also refuse to sign a policy allowing anyone to control my child's lunchbox and if pushed, would take it further.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's Mum - totally good point
    However I feel that my sending healthy lunches everyday does entitle me to the 'my child, my choice' opinion. It's not as if I'm packing a mars bar or a bag of burger rings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    You cannot stop my child from eating what I pack them, regardless of what the policy is. I am responsible for their nutrition for 168 hours per week, kinder has them 12 hours per week, and school 30. It is up to me to decide how to balance their diet, not some child care worker, teacher or government. All hell would break loose if someone pulled this crap on my kid. Education is compulsory, but submitting my child to dietary control by teachers/ carers is not. I would also refuse to sign a policy allowing anyone to control my child's lunchbox and if pushed, would take it further.
    It is not a matter of what the parent says, we are required to enforce this under docs and govt.

You don't sign a policy you enroll a child into a pre school and by doing so agree to a policy,

We as workers are required to send items that fail to meet the requirements home, yelling at the worker is like yelling at the front counter chick at maccas because your burger wasn't cooked right or yelling at the girl doing check outs because the item didn't scan right.

The worker may or may not agree themselves but the government says do this or loose your funding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    Elijah's Mum - totally good point
    However I feel that my sending healthy lunches everyday does entitle me to the 'my child, my choice' opinion. It's not as if I'm packing a mars bar or a bag of burger rings.
    Yes!! This!
    Fatty foods and high sugar foods really shouldn't be a huge part of a child's diet, and I have no issue with teachers/schools making parents aware of this, but for me to not even be able to send a home baked banana muffin is just wrong. It's over the top. I'm not sending prepackaged foods, fatty foods and chocolate/lollies. I'm sending a healthy, varied diet - and I can't even do this!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in Nemmi? I have never signed a form agreeing to these policies and none were listed in enrolment information. Funding or not, policy or not, I wouldn't yell at you, but you would not be telling me what my kid can or cannot eat, nor making them go without. I would be going over your head if you tried. As I said, I don't send allergens, I actually rarely send anything that would not be approved, but if people can get around things by sending fruit in syrup in a different container, then I would be opening a whole can of whoop @ss over this dumb policy if it affected my child. A kinder teacher told me last year that I couldn't send dried fruit because it was too high in sugar. I told her I was the mother and I will send it and she will eat it. That was the last I heard of it, and my child ate the dried fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What state are you in Nemmi? I have never signed a form agreeing to these policies and none were listed in enrolment information. Funding or not, policy or not, I wouldn't yell at you, but you would not be telling me what my kid can or cannot eat, nor making them go without. I would be going over your head if you tried. As I said, I don't send allergens, I actually rarely send anything that would not be approved, but if people can get around things by sending fruit in syrup in a different container, then I would be opening a whole can of whoop @ss over this dumb policy if it affected my child. A kinder teacher told me last year that I couldn't send dried fruit because it was too high in sugar. I told her I was the mother and I will send it and she will eat it. That was the last I heard of it, and my child ate the dried fruit.
    I am in n.s.w,
    You don't have to agree to the policy by signing anything, when you enroll your child at the pre school or childcare setting you should be told that the place has certain policies regarding food consumptions and if you wish to view the policies you can arrange tol

It may be different for primary schools (and private schools again differant)

But the policy is not something made by the parents, it is made by the director and committee in accordance with government requirements (other such policies include clothing requirements - closed in shoes, t-shirts instead of singlets and children must play in shaded areas if no hat is sent)

As a worker yes I often had to tell a child they could not eat a certain item and put a note in the lunch box, over my head would be my director, she would tell you the same thing, after that I guess it would be the committee and after that I have no idea some government organisation.

Dried fruit is also on the not allowed list, too high in sugar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But at least you are sending mainly healthy food, I still think its aimed more at the parents sending crap , I suppose they have to either do an all or nothing policy because even home made muffins can be unhealthy
    ( dried fruit has more sugar than coke! Try and also buy organic if you buy them as they are also full of nitrates and sulphates)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Dried fruit is also on the not allowed list, too high in sugar.
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question but please explain to me the difference between my child eating a whole apple or one that is sliced up and dried in my own dehydrator at home? No sugar is added, the apple is literally peeled, cored, sliced and put in the dehydrator overnight…… I really don't see much difference.

Allergens, closed in shoes, hats, t-shirts rather than singlets all seem like safety issues to me and therefore are reasonable. Perhaps the worry over sugar content is because teachers feel some children become hyperactive and they, the teachers, are unable to deal with this?

All I can say to this is thank goodness my child attends a private school where this rot hasn't yet been leaked. My children don't often get lollies, chips and chocolate so if I wanted to treat them with a surprise in their lunchbox I should be able to.

And just had to comment on the previous post about a little boy messing his pants because he didn't want to lose a point for his house - what an utter disgrace and poor excuse for a human being that teacher must be!! I hope that boys parents put in a formal written complaint and that teacher was raked over hit coals for abusing his/her position in such a way!! My DS had a relief teacher in kindergarten one day and came home telling us that this teacher wouldn't let them go to the toilet during class and one little boy nearly wet his pants. It wasn't our son who was put in that position but we spoke to the school about it and they were horrified and the teacher was spoken to.

I wonder how long before the government tells us which bedtime stories our children are allowed to be read and where we must get their haircut?? This makes my blood absolutely boil!!!!!!

Disclaimer - none of this is directed in any narky way at you nemmi :-) just me blowing off steam, only quoted your post cos you said about the dried fruit thing :-)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast