Closed Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    Just a question...

For those children who are told they aren't allowed to eat their food, are they made go hungry? Or do teachers/carers provide something else?

I would absolutely flip out if my child was not allowed to eat his/her lunch.
    Sent home, not allowed to be eaten. Luckily I packed fruit as well for recess so he had those so I'm not sure if they would have provided something if he didn't have that or not. I've only had one thing sent home, I learnt after that. Partly bc I don't want him to go hungry (he eats like a horse and I doubt the fruit would have filled him up), partly bc I was so embarrassed. The pre school teacher pulled me aside and told me that had a policy and thus muesli bars weren't allowed lol Granted home made is better, but really, I could send a whole lot worse than that.

and to the person that asked if this was clearly outlined, no it wasn't. When we signed up we got a pack stating they had a healthy eating policy but didn't list any banned foods. The week the bar got sent home they did list what they were allowed to have in the newsletter (lol I felt it was directed at me) and it was about 5-6 things

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    B&B I have never been told off for sending yoghurt in a container. The only rule we have is that they eat their sandwich (or equivalent) for lunch and the snacky thing for afternoon snack time (they have fruit at morning tea, it's kindy).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Nobody will be telling me what my children can and cannot eat. I do not send any allergens to protect other kids. Other than that, it's my business what's in their lunch box and if any body upsets my kid about what I have packed, there will be hell to pay. No baked goods? What the heck is wrong with a veggie and cheese muffin instead of a sandwich? It's bureaucracy gone mad. Until there is a nutrition component to a teaching degree, they can bite me!
    the problem with this is it is most often not the teacher or care givers fault, we are made enforce this cr@p by the government and docs.

If we dont follow it, we loose funding.

From working and studying in childcare I can assure you it is only going to get worse.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I wish there were stricter policies at my children's school - I've been kindy/prep mum and lunch for some consists of a large packet of burger rings and a blue pop top.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Sent home, not allowed to be eaten. Luckily I packed fruit as well for recess so he had those so I'm not sure if they would have provided something if he didn't have that or not. I've only had one thing sent home, I learnt after that. Partly bc I don't want him to go hungry (he eats like a horse and I doubt the fruit would have filled him up), partly bc I was so embarrassed. The pre school teacher pulled me aside and told me that had a policy and thus muesli bars weren't allowed lol Granted home made is better, but really, I could send a whole lot worse than that.

and to the person that asked if this was clearly outlined, no it wasn't. When we signed up we got a pack stating they had a healthy eating policy but didn't list any banned foods. The week the bar got sent home they did list what they were allowed to have in the newsletter (lol I felt it was directed at me) and it was about 5-6 things
    The policy should have either been copied or you been directed to where you could read it (we have a folder on the check in desk with all policies) it should have had the information about sugar / salt / fat etc requirements.

There are ways around it ( eg - fruit salad in syrup is not allowed but only expensive brands do juice, put the fruit salad in a container and we would *assume* it was juice.

Only lite sakatas etc were allowed, if a pre packaged one came we knew it was not lite it went home, if they were in a container they were again *assumed* to be lite)

Home made healthy muffins etc were allowed but no milk / juice etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's just control gone mad if you ask me. I support a healthy eating plan 100%, but if I want to put an odd treat like an LCM in a lunchbox that should be my right.

Nemmi - when you say DoCS makes DCs do this - is that just a general rule of healthy eating or do they list what you can and can't allow? I'm trying to ascertain whether my pre school is just a victim of a nanny state themselves or if it's the pre school itself that is imposing these individual OTT rules?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (23-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    Although we always allowed cake or cupcakes for birthdays, heck who wants a veggie bday cake?!
    Me Tastes delicious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It's just control gone mad if you ask me. I support a healthy eating plan 100%, but if I want to put an odd treat like an LCM in a lunchbox that should be my right.

Nemmi - when you say DoCS makes DCs do this - is that just a general rule of healthy eating or do they list what you can and can't allow? I'm trying to ascertain whether my pre school is just a victim of a nanny state themselves or if it's the pre school itself that is imposing these individual OTT rules?
    We dont have 'allowed foods' as such but we could only allow food that was under a certain amount of salt / fat / sugar per 100 grams.

Obviously roll ups, musli bars, tiny teddies etc have a very high sugar content, as do alot of store brought yogurts (natural yogurt is alot more bitter than your ski etc ones)

Your pre school should have the policy book in full view, you can request that they show you a certain policy ( then you can get the numbers right and what is specifically required)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I am concerned what is put in children's lunchboxes is our decision as parents! Not the government, teachers, other parents or anyone else. They are our children! No one else's and we have the right to bathe them, choose which school they go to, how to dress them, teach them manners, etc, etc. As it is our responsibility to do all of these things with and for them plus more, we deserve the right without judgement as to what we put in their lunch boxes.
    Sorry but this topic is just terrible. What is our society and world coming to these days with our children getting judged and scored on their parents decisions. It is not our children's fault neither is it ours because if society wasn't so judgemental these days then things like this wouldn't be happening in our schools.
    No wonder bullying in school is becoming more and more prominent as the years go by.
    Thanks for letting me vent about this topic lol..
    That is all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I'm gonna kind of go against the grain here and say I think it is good they are trying to get kids to eat healthy, I loved it at kinder when the kids were not allowed anything but water, no chips, pkts of biscuits, etc. Makes my job SO much easier getting my kids to eat healthy food when all their friends aren't having chips, tiny teddies, chocolate bars etc...

However, I agree they went about it the wrong way and a child should never be shamed because they had the 'wrong' lunch, and I do recognise that a lot of people are a) not educated on nutrition and its unfair to single their children out, and b) nutrition is not as much a priority for many people as it is for me- and I don't mean that in a condescending way (I'll have a pig sty of a house but am happy if I know the kids are fed well) and c) we don't all go by conventional nutrition guidelines ie I don't buy into the whole low-fat thing. I like how my DDs teacher did it, they have table points and they got points for each vegetable item in their sandwich and lunchbox- so all of a sudden DD LIKED having salad sandwiches and carrot sticks for lunch haha!

I think the yogurt thing is absolutely ridiculous, there is NO WAY I'd be buying those pouches for my kids, the only time any of them get that is as a bribe to keep my 2 yr old quiet on a grocery shop (because its tidy lol). And homebaked goods- I don't believe there should be a restriction on that either, I find if I can give my kids a piece of homemade cake/muffins it satisfies their sweet tooth to a certain extent in a way where there is some nutritional content as well.

I think the aim should be to encourage healthy eating ( WCM my lunchboxes would fail with their homemade muffins and only 1 piece of fruit too) and less packaging (which often means healthier as well anyway).
    Where have you been my whole life?! My house is a mess but my fridge is full of goodness and my family gets the adequate nutritional requirements for them.

A friend once sent her girl to a 'no packet' school, my friend use to sneak Freddo frogs in her kids lunch box, no struggles to get her to eat a banana. I don't think kids should be punished for the parents choice in food and what they buy, I would of freaked if my child had be scrutinized over her lunch.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast