Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a question...

For those children who are told they aren't allowed to eat their food, are they made go hungry? Or do teachers/carers provide something else?

I would absolutely flip out if my child was not allowed to eat his/her lunch.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 23-04-2012 at 22:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    Just a question...

To those children who are told they aren't allowed to eat their food, are they made go hungry? Or do teachers/carers provide something else?

Not allowed to eat it and it's sent back. Which is why I send 2 sandwiches for my DD coz I know she won't eat the other stuff unless she sees me modeling it, too. I only send the other stuff coz I can only imagine how it would look if I only sent the sandwiches and the fruit for sip and crunch. Bit of a waste, but what can you do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is just awful.

and how is one treat a bad lunch????

I always put a little treat in, if they eat all the good stuff, the day before!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question...

For those children who are told they aren't allowed to eat their food, are they made go hungry? Or do teachers/carers provide something else?

Were I worked if they had nothing else we encouraged them to eat the healthiest items.

Not allowed to provide food without parents concent , big big trouble if we did
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 23-04-2012 at 23:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    144cm tall?! How old is ur child?? Far out he is 4cms off me!!!! I hate picking dd up at school, I swear one day a teacher is going to tell me off for not running to class!!! Lol

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Were I worked if they had nothing else we encouraged them to eat the healthiest items.

Not allowed to provide food without parents concentration, big big trouble if we did
    I was going to enroll DD's into that pre-school but I don't think I will now. (If I'm correct and it is the baptist one?) Not that I would just send my kids off with a heap of junk but I don't like the thought of somebody making my child go without. I don't understand how this is allowed without parental consent. When my DD's went to FDC they always got one treat which was incidentally usually a rice bubble LCM.

B&B have you ever made a complaint or confronted about this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow!!

I am a teacher and to be honest at times I do cringe at what I see in children's lunch boxes (think roll up, packet of shapes, packet of biscuits, packet of chips, nutella and a Freddo in one lunch box with nothing else). I have said to these kids where's your brain food, you should see if you can bring some fruit or a sandwich. But never have I punished them for it.

When on eating duty I also encourage the students to eat their sandwiches and fruit first just so they fill up on that rather than the junk. But I'd never stop them eating their own lunch! I also have had kids in my class who don't have breakfast so I let them eat a bit of their lunch early if they ask. Doesn't happen often though.

The sad thing though is that often in my experience the kids without a decent lunch are the most unsettled. I don't think the lunch the OP has mentioned is really unhealthy. In fact it'd be on the healthy side compared to most.

I'd suggest asking the teacher about it. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I'm gonna kind of go against the grain here and say I think it is good they are trying to get kids to eat healthy, I loved it at kinder when the kids were not allowed anything but water, no chips, pkts of biscuits, etc. Makes my job SO much easier getting my kids to eat healthy food when all their friends aren't having chips, tiny teddies, chocolate bars etc...

However, I agree they went about it the wrong way and a child should never be shamed because they had the 'wrong' lunch, and I do recognise that a lot of people are a) not educated on nutrition and its unfair to single their children out, and b) nutrition is not as much a priority for many people as it is for me- and I don't mean that in a condescending way (I'll have a pig sty of a house but am happy if I know the kids are fed well) and c) we don't all go by conventional nutrition guidelines ie I don't buy into the whole low-fat thing. I like how my DDs teacher did it, they have table points and they got points for each vegetable item in their sandwich and lunchbox- so all of a sudden DD LIKED having salad sandwiches and carrot sticks for lunch haha!

I think the yogurt thing is absolutely ridiculous, there is NO WAY I'd be buying those pouches for my kids, the only time any of them get that is as a bribe to keep my 2 yr old quiet on a grocery shop (because its tidy lol). And homebaked goods- I don't believe there should be a restriction on that either, I find if I can give my kids a piece of homemade cake/muffins it satisfies their sweet tooth to a certain extent in a way where there is some nutritional content as well.

I think the aim should be to encourage healthy eating ( WCM my lunchboxes would fail with their homemade muffins and only 1 piece of fruit too) and less packaging (which often means healthier as well anyway).
    I completely agree. The premise is good and as another poster has said, it is due to accreditation requirements that these sorts of policies are in place. I can only speak for preschool, not primary school but the centre I worked at was a healthy eating, nut-free centre and the parents were made aware of that and agreed to work within the guidelines when enrolling their child.

I can totally see why they did it. Bottom line is...many, many, many parents feed their kids utter crap. Especially in the area where I worked. Most of the kids came with a lunch box full of prepacked junk (chips, lollies, choc milk or fanta bottles etc) or the most popular option was to stop at the bakery next door and buy 2 sausage rolls and call that lunch. The obesity issue in Australia is a HUGE issue and is getting worse. In years to come, the pressure on our health system will be unbearable. They are trying to do something to help ease that. In the years since the centre I was at changed their food policy, there was a total turn-around. It worked! And it had to be done for accreditation anyway.

I totally think that some of it is over the top. I absolutely and completely 100% disagree with children losing house points or being punished or treated negatively at all. That is SO wrong. It is about educating the parents and encouraging healthy eating habits, not to cause children anxiety or fear or making them upset.

This is how it worked in my centre. There was a massive eduction and pre-warning on it, for months. It was gradually introduced. Then once it was in, if a child came in with an unhealthy lunch, a note was sent home and the child was offered a healthy replacement (freshly made sandwich with various toppings that we would keep on hand and cut into fun shapes which the kids thought was so cool and chopped up fruit plus cold water to drink if they had fizzy or flavoured milk). There was a massive focus on healthy foods and everyday foods vs sometimes foods. The kids pick it up pretty quick!! Sometimes they'd open their lunchbox and know straightaway! I don't remember it ever being a battle though, there was no shaming of anyone, it was all done really well with the kids, no tears or fear or anything like that.

They could have things like a sandwich or salad or wrap or whatever, yogurt (any kind but no yogo etc). fruit, veggie sticks, cheese and crackers etc plus they were allowed one snack item so a muesli bar or le snak or muffin or whatever. No chips, chocolate, lollies, donuts or anything of that nature.

Water or plain milk only to drink. There were a few parents who balked at this. "But my child only drinks juice or cordial. She wont drink water". Every single kid drank water happily and with no fuss when no other alternative was offered. If they asked for juice, we'd just say "remember we only have yummy cold water at preschool" etc and it was fine.

Although we always allowed cake or cupcakes for birthdays, heck who wants a veggie bday cake?!

So, I can totally see why schools and preschools have to do it BUT they do need to be sensible about it. Stipulating that the only yogurt allowed is yogurt in a pouch or punishing a child is appalling. I'd definitely be taking that up with the school. I would guess that those things are individual teachers ideas and not the official school stance.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to enroll DD's into that pre-school but I don't think I will now. (If I'm correct and it is the baptist one?) Not that I would just send my kids off with a heap of junk but I don't like the thought of somebody making my child go without. I don't understand how this is allowed without parental consent. When my DD's went to FDC they always got one treat which was incidentally usually a rice bubble LCM.

B&B have you ever made a complaint or confronted about this?
    Nah I used to work under the bridge.

I think most pre schools here have the same policies,

When you enroll the child you sign forms about healthy eating policies and if you understand the food requirements etc

Family daycare is suppose to enforce it too but it is easier to let it slip with only 5 kids then with 30.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-04-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nobody will be telling me what my children can and cannot eat. I do not send any allergens to protect other kids. Other than that, it's my business what's in their lunch box and if any body upsets my kid about what I have packed, there will be hell to pay. No baked goods? What the heck is wrong with a veggie and cheese muffin instead of a sandwich? It's bureaucracy gone mad. Until there is a nutrition component to a teaching degree, they can bite me!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (23-04-2012),HugsBunny  (23-04-2012),mrsdj1234  (24-04-2012),penny92  (27-05-2014),Stiflers Mom  (24-04-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast