Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Tamtam I only know about the sip and crunch policy that I 'agreed' to when enrolling DD, where the kids sit down for morning tea to eat a piece of fruit/veg and drink water. I'm cool with that, absolutely. No issues there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm gonna kind of go against the grain here and say I think it is good they are trying to get kids to eat healthy, I loved it at kinder when the kids were not allowed anything but water, no chips, pkts of biscuits, etc. Makes my job SO much easier getting my kids to eat healthy food when all their friends aren't having chips, tiny teddies, chocolate bars etc...

However, I agree they went about it the wrong way and a child should never be shamed because they had the 'wrong' lunch, and I do recognise that a lot of people are a) not educated on nutrition and its unfair to single their children out, and b) nutrition is not as much a priority for many people as it is for me- and I don't mean that in a condescending way (I'll have a pig sty of a house but am happy if I know the kids are fed well) and c) we don't all go by conventional nutrition guidelines ie I don't buy into the whole low-fat thing. I like how my DDs teacher did it, they have table points and they got points for each vegetable item in their sandwich and lunchbox- so all of a sudden DD LIKED having salad sandwiches and carrot sticks for lunch haha!

I think the yogurt thing is absolutely ridiculous, there is NO WAY I'd be buying those pouches for my kids, the only time any of them get that is as a bribe to keep my 2 yr old quiet on a grocery shop (because its tidy lol). And homebaked goods- I don't believe there should be a restriction on that either, I find if I can give my kids a piece of homemade cake/muffins it satisfies their sweet tooth to a certain extent in a way where there is some nutritional content as well.

I think the aim should be to encourage healthy eating ( WCM my lunchboxes would fail with their homemade muffins and only 1 piece of fruit too) and less packaging (which often means healthier as well anyway).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What I find inconsistent is that these expectations are in place in primary school, yet in preschool (DS' provide food) they often each food with little nutritional value (ie macaroni and cheese, pikelets). It's also ironic that in high school (well, the school I teach at - which is a government school) they disallow coke based on caffeine, yet sell ice break? *sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    this seems a little overboard to me. I can understand the need for healthy eating, but this is a bit over the top and i would be talking to the school if this was my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Healthy eating is fine, to educate but not dictate. So long as lunches adhere to policies such as allergy etc then kinders/schools need to back up with the holier than thou attitudes to lunch box politics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I only really think they should nag if a lunchbox is full of junk, everyday... or if it contains things like lollies or coke or whatever.

DD had a jam donut in her lunchbox today... along with 1.5 reduced fat salami and lettuce sandwich on Helgas Pumpkin Seed bread... 2 baby cucumbers and an apple. It wasn't 100% healthy, but it was pretty good IMO. If she got told off for her donut, I'd be furious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Tamtam I only know about the sip and crunch policy that I 'agreed' to when enrolling DD, where the kids sit down for morning tea to eat a piece of fruit/veg and drink water. I'm cool with that, absolutely. No issues there.
    Well adhere to the rules for morning snack but apart from that, I would send whatever you see fit for your kids.
    I never usually say to parents go against the school but in this case, telling you what type of yoghurt to send is crazy talk. That's like me telling my class to not bring tuna snacks because I don't like the smell!!! Um no!
    Dare I even say (apologies to my profession!!) but I hope the teachers adhere to it as well. I hope none of them are sitting in the staff room sharing chocolates or chips etc. or drinking anything but water!!!! I sincerely doubt it!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I'd be ****ed that they are punishing the children when last I checked school aged children don't go grocery shopping and most don't pack their own lunches.

Educate parents.

Don't make children 'lose points' for what to me sounds like a fine lunch. LCM as a treat is hardly a punishable offense.

ALSO IMO rather than create anxiety and emotion around food (being frightened or upset by a lunch box inspection) promote positive eating. I really don't see creating guilt around food actually helping children to eat properly when bottom line is they aren't buying the food!
    Yes, all of this!!!

I would be fuming! Can you talk with the teacher?? (sorry if this has been brought up in the thread, I haven't read through).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, this issue bugs me too. I understand about no chips, chocolate, lollies and nuts. But the strict sandwich and fruit only policy is over the top and causes a lot of kids stress. DD would get very upset if I tried to give her variety for lunch because of the pressure and scrutiny on their lunch. I gave her a homemade wholemeal wrap once and she was anxious because it wasn't a sandwich. But she also gets very bored with sandwiches for both breaks (our school has a third break just for fruit so she eats her fruit then).

Trying to tackle unhealthy eatng this way is creating a whole new food anxiety issue with kids and discouraging variety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm perplexed by why they don't want containers??? now I'm thinking this is school BB, not pre school/prep so they are old enough to unscrew a plastic container lid, no? I very rarely by store yogurt at all bc of the preservs, sugar, and crap basically. Easi Yo is full of all the good stuff and not the sugar and rubbish, as is Jalna. So they have a policy on rigid healthy food yet they want the pouch ones over the good stuff??

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast