Closed Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    That was the other one I sent her with and it was sent home. I felt the same as you, glad they take it seriously.

Believe me it can be tricky when you have to find gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian food for a low-weight picky eater who is allergic to tomatoes, but the range is fantastic and we have never had a problem with banana muffins or pikelets or anything being sent home except when a teacher (somehow) thought the shortbread had nuts in it.
    They might've been thinking almond meal?

The good news is that people are more aware of allergies and there's so many more options now than there used to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Ok.. Last I checked this post was NOT about allergies.. There are PLENTY of threads regarding that. As the PP why doesn't everyone get back to topic?

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Sorry.
    It's hard as a parent to be quiet when you come across such a comment that could potentially threaten your child's life.
    I agree though. Sorry to de-rail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Whilst I understand what you are saying I honestly believe you have to be living under a ROCK to not be aware of the potential threat of allergies.
    The poster said that she wasn't ALLOWED to pack peanut butter sandwiches because of a nut policy... soooo wouldn't that be education enough to put two and to together and realise that your child's desire for peanut butter could have tragic and fatal consequences?
    ie - "Wow, we aren't allowed to have nut products at kinder/school etc because of a nut allergy, jeepers it MUST be life threatening and serious for them to enforce such a rule.. I'll gladly adhere to it as my child's love for PB is irrelevant when we we are talking about a potential fatal reaction"

I think a bit of common sense isn't to much to ask.
    Agreed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Having been juggling foods since my kids started on the education merry go round, I would never elevate my kids entitlement to have a food they liked to that of a child who must avoid a food in order to stay living.

Over the years we have had it have special diets due to intolerances, we've had to avoid different allergens depending on the very safety of of other children within the class and the whole school community.

I understand that the school is attempting to act in the best interests of all of the kids, but I feel that they are going about it the wrong way.

Really, though, my annoyance at the teachers actions pale in comparison when you consider the life and death implications for kids like FOB's and some people's sense of self entitlement to eat what they want when they want regardless of the potential tragic impact on others.

I will speak to the school, but this has helped me to put my sense of outrage and affront into some real perspective.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Areca  (24-04-2012),Benji  (24-04-2012)