Closed Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes it happens at my ds's daycare and kindy too. It makes me mad. I will decide what my child eats! No one else has that right as far as I am concerned.
    We are very anti sugar and fatty foods anyway but the occasional treat is fine when we choose. Neither daycare or kindy allow muesli bars, crackers with Vegemite etc in lunch boxes. I will put these things in very occasionally to give ds a bit of variety but they always come home. I tried sultanas once too and they were returned. When I asked ds why he didn't eat them he said he wasn't allowed to. I find it infuriating.

Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!
    Because the other child could die!
    Your child will do just fine with out orly at school,

The child anaphalactic to nuts has a high chance of not being fine.

There is a very wide variety of spreads and snacks that do not contain nuts.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    It's a potential risk, how guilty would you feel sending your child to school with a peanut butter sandwich and another child suffers an anaphylactic reaction and could potentially die?

Try sending him with Free-Nut Butter with a note in his lunchbox. You can buy it in the health food section, my kids love it.
    We make Free-Nut Butter biscuits with that sometimes, and my nephew loves having it on sandwiches. Unfortunately when I sent it to school on sandwiches they sent it home despite a note to say what it was. Fair enough though, she can have Mighty Mite or salad or something. I give it to her on toast some mornings, not giving her nut butters then sending her to school, all it takes is one particle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    It's not harsh! All you needed was a little bit of education and you can clearly see that potential danger. What's harsh is parents deeming their child's "wants" (not "needs"!) over the LIFE of another child.
    Now that IS harsh.

what im getting at is several people in this thread jumping down the persons throat because she doesnt understand, imo, just how easily a child can pick up traces of peanut butter and have a potentially fatal reaction to it.

you said all i needed was a bit of education. how about doing that for the pp in a nice way? so maybe she will understand the why most places are nut free instead of attacking her.

back to topic please (cant seem to get the little emoticon up for that!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I allowed DS to have sweet williams spread which tastes and looks like nutella during vacation care as a treat. He had to eat it elsewhere and the teachers spoke to me after because they were convinced it was nutella. I was just glad they take the allergies seriously enough because, as we know, there are parents out there who insist on sending high-allergen foods because they are either unaware or don't care about the consequences for the allergic child.

I seriously could imagine some bogan sending peanut butter/nutella and saying it's something else.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-04-2012),share a book  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    As an outsider, it wasn't my place to ask specifically, but the significant precautions taken indicate a severe allergy. During a class party when I had expressed concerns about her sitting alone, her mother explained that she couldn't play because she was allergic to wheat and there were cupcake crumbs everywhere. We (myself and her mother) had a small discussion about the difficulty finding suitable foods and her mother pointed out the added complication of the nut-ban, because nuts formed a large part of her diet at home.

However there was no on-display information about the severity of her allergy. Whereas out of the three children with a nut allergy there was one on-display information sheet with a photograph and an explanation about a severe allergy to peanuts and that she had an epi-pen in her schoolbag and another in the teachers draw.

Note however, the only child with the on-display allergy information was only allergic to peanuts, not other nuts. The previous year the child with the on-display peanut allergy information had been the only child with an allergy in the class and only peanuts were banned, with nuttella being suggested as an alternative. This year there were two more children with nut allergies (one of which was all nuts - but obviously not serious enough for an on-display information sheet with his photo) which is why all nuts were banned.
    My daughter has an A4 sheet with her photo on it to say she has coeliac disease, which means that she cannot have gluten which is the protein found in barley, oats, wheat and rye. It also lists the items in school that people might not think of and could offer dd including vegemite, muesli bars and some ice blocks. It's in her classroom, in the office and in the tuckshop. I'm not sure why there wouldn't be one for that child, seems a bit slack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    what im getting at is several people in this thread jumping down the persons throat because she doesnt understand, imo, just how easily a child can pick up traces of peanut butter and have a potentially fatal reaction to it.

you said all i needed was a bit of education. how about doing that for the pp in a nice way? so maybe she will understand the why most places are nut free instead of attacking her.

Trust me, by the time your child starts pre-school the pre-school educates you, then the school educates you...only a little bit but enough for you to gain a little understanding and then of course you can ask the teacher for more info if you're not convinced that you need to be mindful of what you are packing your child to school. The only way you couldn't be educated on it by the time your child was in school would be if you lived under a rock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    The only problem I see with it is the double standard. I remember one year 1 class where there were three students allergic to nuts and one little girl alergic to wheat. No-one was allowed to bring nuts in consideration to the children with nut allegies. But the little girl with a wheat allergy had to sit alone during lunch to avoid the risk to herself.
    This is us unfortunatly. We don't have gluten, sugar or dairy and are vegan, well BEEgan, we eat honey. Lucky we are in a nut allowed class so dd takes bliss balls that are PACKED with seeds and nuts for her recess. She eats SO slow so her lunch is small but it doesn't sustain her needs so I give her a smoothie before AND after school. If dd eats dairy or sugar she comes up in a huge rash, it's not anaphalctic but when the kids have a birthday she cries cause they all get nice cakes... It's hard. Our classes eat before going out cause they are so young, that's a good way of eliminating the nut thing I think...

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post

Whilst I understand what you are saying I honestly believe you have to be living under a ROCK to not be aware of the potential threat of allergies.
    The poster said that she wasn't ALLOWED to pack peanut butter sandwiches because of a nut policy... soooo wouldn't that be education enough to put two and to together and realise that your child's desire for peanut butter could have tragic and fatal consequences?
    ie - "Wow, we aren't allowed to have nut products at kinder/school etc because of a nut allergy, jeepers it MUST be life threatening and serious for them to enforce such a rule.. I'll gladly adhere to it as my child's love for PB is irrelevant when we we are talking about a potential fatal reaction"

I think a bit of common sense isn't to much to ask.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I allowed DS to have sweet williams spread which tastes and looks like nutella during vacation care as a treat. He had to eat it elsewhere and the teachers spoke to me after because they were convinced it was nutella. I was just glad they take the allergies seriously enough because, as we know, there are parents out there who insist on sending high-allergen foods because they are either unaware or don't care about the consequences for the allergic child.

I seriously could imagine some bogan sending peanut butter/nutella and saying it's something else.
    That was the other one I sent her with and it was sent home. I felt the same as you, glad they take it seriously.

Believe me it can be tricky when you have to find gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian food for a low-weight picky eater who is allergic to tomatoes, but the range is fantastic and we have never had a problem with banana muffins or pikelets or anything being sent home except when a teacher (somehow) thought the shortbread had nuts in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok.. Last I checked this post was NOT about allergies.. There are PLENTY of threads regarding that. As the PP why doesn't everyone get back to topic?

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (24-04-2012)