Closed Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1
    Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!
    How freaking selfish can you be? Who cares if your child misses out on peanut butter if it means another child is safe for the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    sweetseven was she anaphilactic to wheat? There's a vast difference between an intolerance, an allergy which willl cause hives and a child stopping breathing altogether from coming into contact with food.

If she is anaphilactic, I agree, she should've been kept WELL away from other kids and been allowed to snack on nuts while being kept safe from other children's wheat.

I guess the problem with wheat is it'd be SO difficult to ban an entire classroom wheras nuts are a snack, sandwiches tend to be the meal of choice for school.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (24-04-2012),Opinionated  (24-04-2012),Pina Colada  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh dear god....! I must reconsider my selfish desire to have my son alive (who is anaphylactic to nuts) so the poor poor children of this world can have their beloved peanut butter!

You never ever cease to amaze me with your self righteous, self entitled dribble.
    People like YOU bug the cr@p out of ME!
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 24-04-2012 at 12:06.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Areca  (24-04-2012),Bibs  (24-04-2012),Elijahs Mum  (24-04-2012),GothChick  (24-04-2012),Guest1234  (24-04-2012),GuestMember  (24-04-2012),Lincolns mummy  (24-04-2012),shelle65  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Yeah, why should your child miss out on enjoying a peanut butter sandwich at school when another kid could die as a result. Geez, parents of kids with allergies these days who want to be able to send their kids to school AND be able to pick them up at the end of day, healthy and ALIVE. I mean, how selfish are they? Why can't their child die so your child can enjoy some food at school. Have some compassion and understanding for the parents of the child who could DIE. These restrictions aren't in place to upset you, they're put in place to ensure the health and saftey of ALL children at school. Trust me when I say that you do not want your child witnessing another child having an anaphylactic reaction. so if you can't be compassionate enough to understand the need to protect someone's precious child from death at school then take comfort in the fact that they are preventing your child from witnessing a truly traumatic event. Kids have died from anaphylactic shock in schools. There was one in Sydney just last year that was kept out of the media. It bugs the absolute crap out of me that parents of kids without allergies can be so bluddy selfish to think that their child's taste buds are worth more than the life of another child. How bluddy selfish can you get? Seriously.
    I'm so mad and can't be bothered getting an infraction so I just want to also agree with this fabulous post.
    Off to cool down...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

share a book  (24-04-2012),Witwicky  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Yeah, why should your child miss out on enjoying a peanut butter sandwich at school when another kid could die as a result. Geez, parents of kids with allergies these days who want to be able to send their kids to school AND be able to pick them up at the end of day, healthy and ALIVE. I mean, how selfish are they? Why can't their child die so your child can enjoy some food at school. Have some compassion and understanding for the parents of the child who could DIE. These restrictions aren't in place to upset you, they're put in place to ensure the health and saftey of ALL children at school. Trust me when I say that you do not want your child witnessing another child having an anaphylactic reaction. so if you can't be compassionate enough to understand the need to protect someone's precious child from death at school then take comfort in the fact that they are preventing your child from witnessing a truly traumatic event. Kids have died from anaphylactic shock in schools. There was one in Sydney just last year that was kept out of the media. It bugs the absolute crap out of me that parents of kids without allergies can be so bluddy selfish to think that their child's taste buds are worth more than the life of another child. How bluddy selfish can you get? Seriously.
    I think that's a bit harsh. I used to think the same as pp- 'why should my kid ( hypothetically, he's only 1!!) miss out on having a peanut butter sanga cause someone's allergic? It's not like the other kid would eat it' but someone I work with has a kid that's anaphylactic to peanuts and she explained to me that she can't eat peanuts if she's going to see him in a few hours cause there might still be traces on her hands etc. so I understand a bit better just how easily someone could come into contact with peanuts and cause a potentially fatal reaction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    sweetseven was she anaphilactic to wheat? There's a vast difference between an intolerance, an allergy which willl cause hives and a child stopping breathing altogether from coming into contact with food.

If she is anaphilactic, I agree, she should've been kept WELL away from other kids and been allowed to snack on nuts while being kept safe from other children's wheat.

I guess the problem with wheat is it'd be SO difficult to ban an entire classroom wheras nuts are a snack, sandwiches tend to be the meal of choice for school.
    As an outsider, it wasn't my place to ask specifically, but the significant precautions taken indicate a severe allergy. During a class party when I had expressed concerns about her sitting alone, her mother explained that she couldn't play because she was allergic to wheat and there were cupcake crumbs everywhere. We (myself and her mother) had a small discussion about the difficulty finding suitable foods and her mother pointed out the added complication of the nut-ban, because nuts formed a large part of her diet at home.

However there was no on-display information about the severity of her allergy. Whereas out of the three children with a nut allergy there was one on-display information sheet with a photograph and an explanation about a severe allergy to peanuts and that she had an epi-pen in her schoolbag and another in the teachers draw.

Note however, the only child with the on-display allergy information was only allergic to peanuts, not other nuts. The previous year the child with the on-display peanut allergy information had been the only child with an allergy in the class and only peanuts were banned, with nuttella being suggested as an alternative. This year there were two more children with nut allergies (one of which was all nuts - but obviously not serious enough for an on-display information sheet with his photo) which is why all nuts were banned.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 24-04-2012 at 11:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh. I used to think the same as pp- 'why should my kid ( hypothetically, he's only 1!!) miss out on having a peanut butter sanga cause someone's allergic? It's not like the other kid would eat it' but someone I work with has a kid that's anaphylactic to peanuts and she explained to me that she can't eat peanuts if she's going to see him in a few hours cause there might still be traces on her hands etc. so I understand a bit better just how easily someone could come into contact with peanuts and cause a potentially fatal reaction
    It's not harsh! All you needed was a little bit of education and you can clearly see that potential danger. What's harsh is parents deeming their child's "wants" (not "needs"!) over the LIFE of another child.
    Now that IS harsh.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

share a book  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Oh dear god....! I must reconsider my selfish desire to have my son alive (who is anaphylactic to nuts) so the poor poor children of this world can have their beloved peanut butter!

You never ever cease to amaze me with you self righteous, self entitled dribble.
    People like YOU bug the cr@p out of ME!
    Amen!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    Well you're entitled to your opinion, I just strongly disagree with it. Trust me I held back. If I said what I really wanted to say I'd get a life ban from BH but my thoughts are there with FOBS. The selfishness of some people is absolutely oustanding...there's a difference between ignorance and plain out selfish righteousness.

FTR my child can eat peanuts and being able to send her to school with some peanut butter on her sandwich or corn cruskits would be a great option. But there is one child at her school who is anaphylactic to peanuts so it is banned. It can get tricky sending my DD off to school with enough healthy food for the day...she's anaphylactic to tree nuts (which aren't banned due to the stupid P&C), dairy and eggs. None of these foods are banned in the school due to the fact that parents would find it way to difficult. However, I am lucky that DD1 won't go in to anaphylactic shock unless she consumes one of these foods so there is a strict 'no sharing' policy in place at the school (most schools do this I believe) and if they have a party in class with foods DD1 can't have the kids have to sit at the tables to eat, they must wash their hands and mouth after they've eaten and then all the tables get wiped down straight away. My DD1 is in year 1 and last term one of the girls in her class touched DD1's food (claiming she wanted to eat it and grabbed it off DD1) and she was sent to the school prinicipal. So I am lucky that DD1's allergies are taken so seriously and I'm extremely lucky that the parents of her friends have decided to just not send their kids to school with any nut products to help remove the risk to my DD. They understand that I love my child just as much as they love theirs and that my child has a right to go to school and come home alive. It absolutely floors me that, with all the education on knowledge there is on the seriousness of food allergies these days, that people can still be so selfish as to get upset that their child is restricted from eating a certain type of food between school hours.

FOBS I love what you posted...there was so much that I deleted out of mine knowing I'd get a life time ban from it, reading that made me beyond furious too.
    Last edited by Areca; 24-04-2012 at 12:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have no nut policy at out school of over 600 kids so I have to rely on DS being extremely cautious. At the start of each year a note is sent on making parents aware that there is a severe allergy in the class and it it up to their discretion as to what they put in their kids lunchbox.
    Lucky for us we have a great group of parents that are very happy to avoid a tragic situation and happy for their kids to wait until they are home to have nut products..
    Anywhooooooo!