Closed Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    A lot of schools here have fridges in classrooms, others keep lunchboxes in airconditioned classrooms. I send bananas, watermelons and strawberries, along with apples, oranges, mandarines etc and they are fine in an airconditioned room.
    My children (and myself when I was a child) have attended several schools and never had the advantage of a fridge or airconditioned classroom.

Exception - one school had a small barfridge in their prep room. This enabled some children to put an item in the fridge if required. (There wasn't enough room for everyone, or entire lunches, but typically six kids would bring something small (like a yoghurt) each and had no trouble keeping it in the fridge. I don't know what would've happened if everyone had tried to take advantage of it at once however.) The teacher also kept milk in there for tea/coffee which they offerred to parent helpers that volunteered their time.

-----------------------------------------

I was at a P&C meeting once and parents were complaining about lunches spoiling in the heat. Someone suggested raising funds to provide fridges for students lunches. Someone else said that at another school they had attended, the P&C had bought fridges for the students lunches and the school refused to use them because it would increase their power bill. The main objection to the idea however for the school that was discussing it at the time, was the lack of physical space for fridges. There was nowhere to put them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post

Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!
    Yeah, why should your child miss out on enjoying a peanut butter sandwich at school when another kid could die as a result. Geez, parents of kids with allergies these days who want to be able to send their kids to school AND be able to pick them up at the end of day, healthy and ALIVE. I mean, how selfish are they? Why can't their child die so your child can enjoy some food at school. Have some compassion and understanding for the parents of the child who could DIE. These restrictions aren't in place to upset you, they're put in place to ensure the health and saftey of ALL children at school. Trust me when I say that you do not want your child witnessing another child having an anaphylactic reaction. so if you can't be compassionate enough to understand the need to protect someone's precious child from death at school then take comfort in the fact that they are preventing your child from witnessing a truly traumatic event. Kids have died from anaphylactic shock in schools. There was one in Sydney just last year that was kept out of the media. It bugs the absolute crap out of me that parents of kids without allergies can be so bluddy selfish to think that their child's taste buds are worth more than the life of another child. How bluddy selfish can you get? Seriously.

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-04-2012),Elijahs Mum  (24-04-2012),Etienne  (24-04-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-04-2012),fichicken  (24-04-2012),GothChick  (24-04-2012),GuestMember  (24-04-2012),Lincolns mummy  (24-04-2012),mad house mumma  (25-04-2012),MamaC  (24-04-2012),Maybelline  (24-04-2012),share a book  (24-04-2012),shelle65  (24-04-2012),Witwicky  (24-04-2012),WorkingClassMum  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nut bans are incredibly important. My non-allergic daughter can save her nutella sandwich for after school, an allergic child can't save his allergy for later. There are so many alternatives to nut butters.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-04-2012),Elijahs Mum  (24-04-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-04-2012),Guest1234  (24-04-2012),Pina Colada  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Air popped pop corn not allowed? Wow.. That is going to far. Pop corn that you pop yourself at home is one of the healthiest snacks around!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 is now 18yo and in uni and finally she can eat lunch.

She has always been a slow eater and never managed to eat enough in the ten minutes allotted in primary school. She used to always complain of being hungry. We found the best thing to send her to try and fill her up was a pasta salad, but it wasn't enough.

In high school, she cheated a little. She would take soup (or some left over dinner) and heat it up in the microwave in the art room. But she was still constrained by limited time to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!
    ARe you serious? I would think it would be alot easier for your child to miss out on peanut butter than for another parent have their child die?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a potential risk, how guilty would you feel sending your child to school with a peanut butter sandwich and another child suffers an anaphylactic reaction and could potentially die?

Try sending him with Free-Nut Butter with a note in his lunchbox. You can buy it in the health food section, my kids love it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

share a book  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had it happen both in Daycare and in Prep. I have always packed a healthy lunch for my kids. The daycare didnt even tell ME they just told my near 4 year old that his lunch is very unhealthy and he should get mummy to pack a better lunch!!! The Prep teacher told my son his lunch was unhealthy... a sandwich with cheese and vegemite, strawberries about half a dozen shape biscuits and a cheese stick i think it was??? I can't really understand what was unhealthy except maybe the bickies???
    I know there is some really unhealthy things out there but as i far as i knew they just encoraged them to eat what is healthy first.
    Things have changed alot since my 18 year old went to school LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were the strawberries covered in chocolate and the cheese stick deep fried?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

SammiJane  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    ARe you serious? I would think it would be alot easier for your child to miss out on peanut butter than for another parent have their child die?
    The only problem I see with it is the double standard. I remember one year 1 class where there were three students allergic to nuts and one little girl alergic to wheat. No-one was allowed to bring nuts in consideration to the children with nut allegies. But the little girl with a wheat allergy had to sit alone during lunch to avoid the risk to herself. Also her diet was significantly limited because nut products were one of the few things she could eat, and she wasn't allowed to bring them due to the other children's allergies. The class also had a bring-a-plate class party at the end of each term, and this little girl couldn't even play with the other children because they were going back and forth from the play area and the party tables. Even one day when they had a special class party where her mother supplied all the food so that it was suitable for her, she was so used to sitting out that she was hesitant and didn't really join in with the other children playing.

I was not the mother of this little girl, nor the mother of any of the children with nut allergies, but it really did seem unfair to me how this little girl was not only excluded because of her allergy, but also restricted in what she could eat due to the others allergies.

I really think that either:
    * wheat should've been banned also so that everyone was on an even footing, or
    * this little girl should've been allowed nut products because she was already being isolated and thus with proper hygene wouldn't have posed a threat to the others.

PS: I have mentioned that little girl on this forum before because seeing her disadvantage really impacted me.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 24-04-2012 at 11:31.