Closed Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah umm schools who does allow baked goods clearly havent seen the food pyramid. ???

I did get annoyed if I sent packets of rice wheels or heaven forbid once I sent tiny teddies!!! They would be in his bag when I picked him up. Air popped pop corn awarded me a note. :-/ but at least they went through me.

Though jasper started his first day at his new daycare today and they provide meals! Yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a PP made a really good point about the 'it's my kid, I'll feed them what I want' attitude- true, it is your kid, but how many threads have been in here about 'I saw a kid with a coke and a donut on the way to school' followed by a brigade of self-righteous parents, mortified about these kids' diets!!?? Our community health is everyone's business! And a lot of the snack foods like muesli bars and yogurt covers sultanas etc, even a packet of sultanas, or a yoplait yogurt ate FULL of sugar and all sorts of nasties!

I sometimes give my kids a little chocolate heart in their lunchbox, they often have homemade muffins etc, and definitely yogurt (although not flavoured ones) I'm not the food police and completely disagree with singling kids out and making them feel bad. But I think we can all agree, for the sake of the kids calming to school with absolute rubbish- SOME restrictions are helpful? Maybe the issue is just that they are too strict?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    DS is 11, is 144cm tall and wears size 10~11 clothes, dances 3 times a week for 1.5 hours and walks or rides to school every day - so I thought he was just about right? He's growing ATM - he has grown 4 cm in the last three weeks as he was only 140cm at the end of last term and I had to ring my MIL to NOT take up his winter school pants after all. Does 41kg seem too big/heavy?

I am seeing the teacher this week and am on school council so will be bringing it up there
    OMG he is 11 and these teachers are acting like this!!!!!!

I thought we were talking about a junior primary class here!!

Why do teachers need to do this sort of policing with upper primary kids!!

Sorry for my original post! 41 seems quite reasonable!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    SOME restrictions are helpful? Maybe the issue is just that they are too strict?
    I think that is absolutely people's issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD's Pre-Prep (Qld - 4.5-5.5yrs) was rubbish free and total lunchbox wardens.
    DD was in trouble for taking 2 home made pikelets (made with a tiny amount of sugar in the batch) with a tiny smear of butter on them - apparently they are a sometimes but NEVER at kindy food
    - No vege muffins - in case a kid thinks they are sweet ones, no nuts (obviously no problem with that one). The water one was a bit of an issue for me too as DD got a bit funny with it if she didn't drink what the teacher deemed "enough" came home uset a couple of times due to this (and the pikelet incident). We talked about it and I reasured her she was drinking enough as she had more water at home before and after school and milk with breakfast.
    One of the mums was a Nutritionist and she sent her son with some very health (well balanced) muesli slice and banana bread (at different times) and both were sent home - She argued and offered to come in and talk to the kids about healthy eating, do some cooking with the kids and talk to the parents - all of which were knocked back.

Was very frustrating as DD is a bit fussy so she had pretty much the same lunch each day. Now she is at prep (in a state school) they have no such restrictions - they do say only water to drink (which is fine as DD mainly drinks water anyway) but I can now do batched of tiny cupcakes and pikelets and freeze them (and her sandwiches too) which makes my life easier as she can get her own lunch - grab sammy and one treat out of the freezer plus an apple for fruit break, some carrots with a tsp of sour cream for dipping) some rice crackers or popcorn (air popped plain) or a few tiny teddies! its great! I do love the fruit break though as I can send the apple and she mosly eats it which is a bit of a struggle a lot of the time!

I can see the merit in encouraging healthy eating but making it a punishable offence is a bit OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Occasionally, I get told in advance that lunches are going to be checked on a certain day, so ensure that day they comply with the requirements for maximum points. My children have never encountered random checks.

Different days will have different requirements.
    * Sometimes it is "rubbish free" - so no glad wrap.
    * Sometimes it is "healthy" - so no processed bars

I always get several days warning, and my daughter has always received full points.

And the odd thing ... is the class that gets the most points often gets rewarded with a free iceblock each. (Which seems to me like an odd reward for bringing a healthy lunch.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it happens at my ds's daycare and kindy too. It makes me mad. I will decide what my child eats! No one else has that right as far as I am concerned.
    We are very anti sugar and fatty foods anyway but the occasional treat is fine when we choose. Neither daycare or kindy allow muesli bars, crackers with Vegemite etc in lunch boxes. I will put these things in very occasionally to give ds a bit of variety but they always come home. I tried sultanas once too and they were returned. When I asked ds why he didn't eat them he said he wasn't allowed to. I find it infuriating.

Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Another thing that bugs me is not being able to send anything re peanuts because of allergies. Yes I do get it that some kids may have allergies but why should my child miss out on a peanut butter sandwich which he loves because another kid may have an allergy. Bugs the crap outs me!
    Because if your child eats a peanut butter sandwich and touches another child with anaphilaxis the other child could end up dead or in hospital. That would be incredibly traumatic for all involved, your child included.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (24-04-2012),babyla  (24-04-2012),delirium  (24-04-2012),Guest1234  (24-04-2012),GuestMember  (24-04-2012),Maybelline  (24-04-2012),share a book  (24-04-2012),Witwicky  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    A lot of schools here have fridges in classrooms, others keep lunchboxes in airconditioned classrooms. I send bananas, watermelons and strawberries, along with apples, oranges, mandarines etc and they are fine in an airconditioned room.
    My kids aren't in daycare or kindy yet so I have no idea where bags get kept or lunches, I'm just going by my own experience as a kid in Queensland. But the schools weren't air conditioned then so things change. I'll cross the "what do I pack my kids for lunch" bridge when I come to it

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Because nut butters are messy and get on kids hands and faces. It only takes transferance from a door knob, a drinking tap or a piece of play equipment for another child to be exposed to an allergen that could potentially kill them. I understand the need for that rule and if I had a kid that was anaphylactic, would be so damn greatful for it. Life must be scary enough for those parents as it is. I don't mind my kid being inconvenienced missing out on a peanut butter sandwich to make their lives a little safer and less stressful.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (24-04-2012)