Closed Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ....Well that's just great....
    Im all for healthy eating but The next thing will be all these children with food complexes and anorexia at 6.

God forbid if any child enjoys a treat once in a while like a banana muffin... Thought that would be better than a happy meal or a packet of chips.
    Balanced diet?? Do they not know what this is?? Moderation?? Didn't know the only way to enjoy a "healthy" "nutritious" "No added sugar" "preservative free" Yoghurt was if I had to suck it out of a pouch.. Ill keep that in mine next time i offer my daughter Home made or Pot set Yoghurt...

if they go to school packed with out a rabbit lunch then they loose house points?? Opens another door for other children to Bully too.

What about picky eaters?
    But I suppose letting a child go with no food all day because they didn't want to eat there carrot sticks is better then having that oh so unhealthy muesli bar, home made muffin or "inconvenient packed" yoghurt.
    Little do they know our children will come home hungry and try to "binge eat" if there lunch just gets taken off them.

What great eating habits our schools are teaching our children...not...
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 24-04-2012 at 09:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This makes me really nervous for my son. He starts prep next year and heaven knows he had issues with food.. Always has! We've worked so so so hard over the last few years to get his appetite expanding and to increase the foods he will eat, ill be dammed if a teacher us going to undo all that!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    P. S op I would not take this lying down. Start a petition from parents at the school and go to the principle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think this could be a positive thing for some children who aren't fed healthy foods at home, at least their parents are forced to give them some kind of nutrition while they're on school time.

However, two pieces of fruit would not fill my DS up

He takes carrot sticks, cheese, fruit, organic sultanas, rice crackers, wholemeal sandwich/wrap, natural yoghurt with berries, cucumber, jatz and sometimes a homemade LCM bar or a zucchini/banana muffin or oat bar. The LCM bar is insanely rare for him which is why IMO it is fine, but some kids would be taking a white sandwich with jam, chips, juice, chocolate muffin etc daily.

DS' school only allows water which I'm happy about. Makes it easier for me, DS can't pull the "but so and so takes juice".

Fruit isn't actually all THAT great for children, it's still acidic and sugary. They still need other foods of course veges, but also things that will fill the active ones up.

DS' school has quite a few children with anaphilaxis to nuts so I steer clear of anything storebought even if I *know* it has no nuts because I don't want to send the teacher into a panic.

I think the punishment for a rare treat for children with otherwise healthy lunchboxes is not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all the replies.

I wish we had the lunch police in our school. I see some of the kids with nothing but packets of crisps and sweets in their lunches sometimes and it makes me so sad.

I do not agree that the child should be punished for what is in their lunch box.
    I think a letter should be sent home in a sealed envelope asking for more nutritious things and to keep the artificial stuff to a minimum.

From skimming over a few of your replies, some people obviously have taken it too far....not allowing savoury muffins or piklets as part of a balanced lunchbox is just crazy.
    I have been told I give DD too much in her lunchbox, but the way I see it, she can always leave what she doesn't feel like.
    DD has 2 pieces of fruit,a packet of rice wheels,vegemite sandwiches, a weight watchers fruit bar(she loves them), cheese and crackers, some cucumber or carrot sticks and an all natural orange juice, along with her water.

She's 7 and weighs 24 kilos so I think that is pretty normal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    This makes me really nervous for my son. He starts prep next year and heaven knows he had issues with food.. Always has! We've worked so so so hard over the last few years to get his appetite expanding and to increase the foods he will eat, ill be dammed if a teacher us going to undo all that!

My friend has huge ongoing issues with the school her daughter attends because all the kid eats is certain white/yellow foods, so her lunchbox consists of a banana up and go and a white bread sandwich with a processed cheese slice on. That's it. She hasn't eaten a piece of fruit, or a vegetable, ever. The school got the mum to pick her up one day because she was throwing the biggest tantrum ever because the teacher was trying to make her eat the orange she had brought from home for herself...

Poor kid was distraught and hasn't wanted to go back to school.

That said, the mum makes NO effort to try and change her daughters eating habits, I know this for a fact. She just thinks she will grow out of it.

I think if you talk to the school beforehand and make the teacher aware of the situation they should be a lot more accommodating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My MIL and SIL are nutritionists/naturopaths and are both against dried fruit as a staple food ( fresh is always best!) Dried fruit is still obviously a better choice than sweets/junk food because it still has lots if vitamins/minerals/iron but because dehydrating it concentrates it's calories the sugar becomes a problem, (diabetes is becoming a huge problem ) especially as we would normally eat 1 apricot when dried its easy to eat a handful of them, commercial ones being worse as they can have trans fats, added sugar , nitrates and sulphates ( dried fruit still has some fibre but most of the fibre is in the apple skin so I was referring to pp who peels the apple before drying it!)
    Honestly, no fruit should be a staple. Some of the healthiest traditional societies actually eat minimal fruit.But if I was sending fruit to school up here in Townsville in the summer when it is extremely hot I'd probably send a piece of fresh fruit for first break or little lunch and a small amount of homemade dried fruit or a homemade fruit leather (which is just fruit cooked, spread and then dried) because I can't guarentee that fresh fruit would keep. I agree dried fruit shouldn't be for every day, but it shouldn't be compared to junk food or coke. It still has many nutrient benefit if consumed occasionally where as coke, chips, lollies, they do not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dried fruits don't have trans fats?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just looked it up in my text book, dried fruits should be without sulphates or nitrates. A maximum of 60grams per day. In hot climates where hot starchy carbohydrates are unfavourable a small portion of dried fruits can be added to a salad based meal to ensure the carbohydrate needs are met (like dried cranberries on a garden salad or raisins in a Moroccan based salad). Traditional methods are preferred like sun or air dried. Organic is best as conventional dried foods are highly concentrated in pesticides.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Honestly, no fruit should be a staple. Some of the healthiest traditional societies actually eat minimal fruit.But if I was sending fruit to school up here in Townsville in the summer when it is extremely hot I'd probably send a piece of fresh fruit for first break or little lunch and a small amount of homemade dried fruit or a homemade fruit leather (which is just fruit cooked, spread and then dried) because I can't guarentee that fresh fruit would keep. I agree dried fruit shouldn't be for every day, but it shouldn't be compared to junk food or coke. It still has many nutrient benefit if consumed occasionally where as coke, chips, lollies, they do not.
    A lot of schools here have fridges in classrooms, others keep lunchboxes in airconditioned classrooms. I send bananas, watermelons and strawberries, along with apples, oranges, mandarines etc and they are fine in an airconditioned room.