Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Oh my god that makes me so angry - isnt this just setting our children up for having a bad relationship with food? I see a mutritionist for my oldest son as he does not eat anywhere near what he should (he is almost 4 but my 20 month old out-eats him!) And she said the worst thing we can do is label foods good or bad!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that's fine as long as that teacher gives me a list of what she has eaten that day in front of the class that we can all look at and tear apart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lotti For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG! This makes me so angry! What if you have an oral food allergy? (cant eat RAW fruit or veg) my DH has this and DS may have it too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post

How old is your DS? 41kg seems quite big to me?

I would be speaking to the teacher voicing your concerns over this system and if she insists on continuing the reigime asking them to compile a handout of appropriate and non appropriate foods so parents know in advance and their children aren't unnecessarily punished!
    DS is 11, is 144cm tall and wears size 10~11 clothes, dances 3 times a week for 1.5 hours and walks or rides to school every day - so I thought he was just about right? He's growing ATM - he has grown 4 cm in the last three weeks as he was only 140cm at the end of last term and I had to ring my MIL to NOT take up his winter school pants after all. Does 41kg seem too big/heavy?

I am seeing the teacher this week and am on school council so will be bringing it up there

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've seen him, he is definitely not overweight.

The whole allowed foods and disallowed foods frustrate me no end. DD is vegan which means we already have a limited scope, she is also very fussy and won't eat vegies raw or in large pieces, which means no chance of her taking them to school. Plus she takes forever to eat things, so she is simply down to one solitary sandwich at school, because we are sick of wasting food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Elijah's Mum - I found your comments on dried fruit confusing as it's different from what's been said in my current unit of study, nutrition. The drying process doesn't strip fruit of nutrients like vitamin C. They only have excess sugar if sugar is added before, during or after the drying processes. Traditionally dried fruit is actually very healthy and the US and European Union have them listed as part of their healthy eating policy. Dried fruit because it has most of its water absorbed provides a great source of fibre.
    !
    My MIL and SIL are nutritionists/naturopaths and are both against dried fruit as a staple food ( fresh is always best!)
    Dried fruit is still obviously a better choice than sweets/junk food because it still has lots if vitamins/minerals/iron but because dehydrating it concentrates it's calories the sugar becomes a problem, (diabetes is becoming a huge problem ) especially as we would normally eat 1 apricot when dried its easy to eat a handful of them, commercial ones being worse as they can have trans fats, added sugar , nitrates and sulphates ( dried fruit still has some fibre but most of the fibre is in the apple skin so I was referring to pp who peels the apple before drying it!)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-04-2012 at 09:17.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Mmm, I don't know. I definitely disagree with a child being punished or shamed for his food but I do think it is a good idea to not allow packaged goods/juice etc. in schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some schools must be ignoring this directive, I know a prep who gets a chicken nugget lunch order and comes home to them for dinner. Why are they selling nuggets?

Her teacher keeps some healthier bits and pieces to share with her.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 24-04-2012 at 08:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Mmm, I don't know. I definitely disagree with a child being punished or shamed for his food but I do think it is a good idea to not allow packaged goods/juice etc. in schools.
    I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Imagine a whole school with children eating nothing but fruit, cut up vegies, grains, wholemeal salad sandwiches and water every single day. Would be awesome!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (24-04-2012)