+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Made in England View Post
    I've had the 2 hour test 3 times now (3rd time was today) and I've never been told I have to eat a high carb diet before hand. i was told to just eat my usual diet. Same for the 1 hour test. Just eat a normal diet before.
    I was told normal diet for the hr test but Sullivan n Nicolades gave me a handout they r supposed to give to anyone who's booking in for the 2hr GTT and went thru the importance of the diet for those 3days. If u booked over the phone they may have been slack n not said anything or the person who answered the phone may not know how to do their job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    Sorry but what you eat does not affect the test.
    Actually... I'm pretty sure it does. During my first pregnancy, I failed my first test because I had just finished guzzling a bottle of coke and eating a Red Rooster Rooster Roll and chips just as I walked into the door of the Pathology place. If you are consuming more sugars just before the test, then of course it is going to take longer for your levels to get down.

Silly thing to do, but I didn't know any better, and was having a naughty craving. Red Rooster was right near the Pathology place, and I just HAD to have it. :P Needless to say, I passed the second lot of testing with flying colours. When I asked my midwife/the pathology people if my 'pre test meal' could have had an impact on my results first time around, they all pretty much responded with an incredulous "You ate/drank what before your test?! Hahaha. Well that explains your results!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Of course what you eat before a blood sugar test effects your blood sugar levels otherwise what impact would diet have on gd?

A normal breakfast shouldnt have really impacted you though op. It doesn't mean you will fail your two hour test though.

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasssssy View Post
    I was told normal diet for the hr test but Sullivan n Nicolades gave me a handout they r supposed to give to anyone who's booking in for the 2hr GTT and went thru the importance of the diet for those 3days. If u booked over the phone they may have been slack n not said anything or the person who answered the phone may not know how to do their job.
    For the one I had today i booked in person at the hospital and they gave me an info thing to read but it just says to eat a normal diet prior to the test. Strange. And I had to answer some questions before they took the first lot of blood and one of them was about eating a normal diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil5 View Post
    Thanks for replying! I was just so shocked to hear 11.. I'm not overweight, don't eat too badly (hubby's on my back about that all the time) and I do exercise so I really didn't expect it. Fingers crossed the 2nd one goes well.
    I was a 9 on my first test, 8.7 on the second.
    What you east before the test has NO effect on the test result, it's all to do with that sugary drink and the way your blood processes the sugar...

Also..
    Being overweight has nothing to do with GD...
    Your more likely to have it if you are overweight.
    One of my friends had GD and she was a personal trainer.
    It's all to do with pregnancy hormones blocking the insulin production.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (24-04-2012)

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I was a 9 on my first test, 8.7 on the second.
    What you east before the test has NO effect on the test result, it's all to do with that sugary drink and the way your blood processes the sugar...

Also..
    Being overweight has nothing to do with GD...
    Your more likely to have it if you are overweight.
    One of my friends had GD and she was a personal trainer.
    It's all to do with pregnancy hormones blocking the insulin production.
    Ok so I'm just thinking aloud here and trying to get my head around the eating having no affect on the 1 hour test results, so forgive me if this makes no sense...,

Say for example you eat a high gi breakfast before the test. If you have gd, then the results would show a high reading (obviously), as your body can't process the excess sugar, but if you didn't have gd, the results would be normal as your body can process the excess sugar normally. So what you eat shouldn't affect the results of the 1 hour test.

That's my interpretation of it anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, a lot of non gd sufferers fail the 1 hour test. Of course if you drink 500ml of OJ then have he sugary drink there's a good chance you'll fail. 500mls of OJ contains a least 50g of sugar so it would be aki to drinking the drink twice and expecting the same result as if you'd just drank it once. For a lot of people orange juice is part of a normal breakfast, doesn't meAn you'll pass the test though.