• Haitch

8 21.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    There is no logic to the English language... is there?
    Cough, Bough, though and so on... lol
    I constantly questioned the English language when I was a kid.. It makes NO sense!!!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's actually a lot more sense to the English language than most of us realise. If you learn rules-based spelling, there's very little that's not actually covered. It's when we learn by rote that it makes no sense.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (24-04-2012),NancyBlackett  (24-04-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    It's "aitch". My eldest has been saying "haitch" lately and I jump on him in horror every time.

"Haitch" is just one of those errors that has become so common that it's accepted by many people... But it's still an error

Here's what good old Wikipedia has to say...

And it's interesting (and satisfying) to note that Oxford online dictionary doesn't have an entry for "haitch", only for "aitch".
    I like this bit... Sums it all up pretty well.

In almost all dialects of English, the name for the letter is pronounced /ˈ/ and spelled ⟨aitch⟩[1] or occasionally ⟨eitch⟩. The pronunciation /ˈh/ and hence a spelling of ⟨haitch⟩ is often considered to be h-adding and hence nonstandard. It is, however, a feature of Hiberno-English[2] and other varieties of English, such as those of Malaysia and Singapore. In Northern Ireland it is a shibboleth as Protestant schools teach aitch and Catholics haitch.[3] In Australia, this has also been attributed to Catholic school teaching and is estimated to be in use by 60% of the population.[4]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aitch. Without a doubt. Unfortunately DS's prep teacher said haitch. Nothing I could say would change his mind cause he adored her... He's now grade four and I still cringe when he says haitch...

Interestingly as I type this on my phone, the little red line indicating a misspelt word is underlining haitch but not aitch. Glad my iPhone agrees!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    oh gosh dont get me started

its aitch ..

it says HHHHH .. but the letter itself is aitch ..

having two parents that are teachers, it was drilled into me from a young age - so much so that even growing up, people on Wheel of Fortune would make me twitch because they all said "haitch" .. which is incorrect .. lol

Last year I had to fight with my then 5year old because his prep teacher says "haitch" ... and I was constantly correcting him at home .. his defence was that his teacher says it that way, so it must be right .. sigh

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    Aitch is correct Australian English. In Victoria they used to teach it with a "h", but now they are on board with the rest of us

Now we just have to wait for them to catch up on us with the Rockmelon & Potato Scallop issues.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    But applying the fact that the sound should be the name doesn't work - nearly every letter can have different sounds according to the word they are used in.

A (ay) - short sound in ant/as, then long sound when teamed as: ai, a-e, ar..., oh - then it sounds like o in yacht, watch
    C (see) - harsh sound in cat, sounds like the letter in city, but changes with ch combo
    R (ar) is another someone said about we pronounce it ar, not rah
    X - can be (cks) sound in fox/box etc, but Z sound in xylophone
    Q - isn't pronounced unless we team it with a u
    Y - sounds like an e in city

There's heaps more, but the majority of the alphabet is not sounded the same every time it's used, therefore applying the logic that the title of the letter should be as it sounds can't apply.

PS. I was educated in WA and I pronounce it aitch
    Don't get me started on the pronunciation of a Q! My real name starts with a Q. I have gotten the Q sound like Quinn. But it's Spanish, it uses the C sound. the first part of my name should be pronounced like Car, but my parents saw it had an 'E' so pronounced it like Ker.

I had most friends use a nick name by age 10 and then by 17 used Kerri cause people just assumed that's why my nickname was short for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    We say aitch.
    Apparently haitch is American.
    Aitch for us too (my 5 year old Harrison's nickname). We're British and my Dad was a stickler for us pronouncing H correctly when we were growing up so it's ingrained in my brain and hearing someone say haitch is like finger nails on a blackboard to me !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh so glad I was able to find this thread! DP and are just having a huge debate about this and others words like "Castle" and "Vietnam". Once he finishes having his tantrum, i'll show him this thread

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-04-2012),lambjam  (28-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

personally?

-- 'castle' = car - sel

'vietnam' = vee - et - nam [rhymes with ham, damn]

but I know this depends on where you were raised...

MIL says 'fil-um' for film and it drives me INSANE!