• Aitch

29 78.38%
  • Haitch

8 21.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I don't understand how it could be aitch when the letter H represents the breathy sound hhhhhh as in Hello.. We don't say Ello in Australia we say Hello

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    how do you say 'water'?

the letter is called 'double U'

when you put a 'c' and an 'h' together - the H doesn't make a huffing sound.

I think the name for letters comes from waaaaaaaaaaay back when they were just symbols for things and had many different sounds.

..and damn - I should've taken Peg up on teh offer of a poll -- I've lost count now of 'aitchers' Vs 'Haitchers'

Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 24-04-2012 at 14:05. Reason: letter not latter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    -- you beat me to it as I was typing!

..my DS2 says 'Wubble youuuu'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lol I just always thought aich was American.. I was always taught it with the H in front. How funny!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't understand how it could be aitch when the letter H represents the breathy sound hhhhhh as in Hello.. We don't say Ello in Australia we say Hello

All leters are actual words. Just like the number 2 can be written as "2" or "two". Letters can be represented as letters or spelt out as words. The correct spelling for the 8th letter of the alphabet is "aitch".

My 4th grade teacher tried to tell us it was "haitch" and I told my Mum who wasn't very impressed. Later the principal was taking the class and the subject came up and insisted it was "aitch" in front of the teacher who was looking very akward.

Give me an "A"
    Give me an "I"
    Give me a "T"
    Give me a "C"
    Give me an "H"

What have you got? H!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    But applying the fact that the sound should be the name doesn't work - nearly every letter can have different sounds according to the word they are used in.

A (ay) - short sound in ant/as, then long sound when teamed as: ai, a-e, ar..., oh - then it sounds like o in yacht, watch
    C (see) - harsh sound in cat, sounds like the letter in city, but changes with ch combo
    R (ar) is another someone said about we pronounce it ar, not rah
    X - can be (cks) sound in fox/box etc, but Z sound in xylophone
    Q - isn't pronounced unless we team it with a u
    Y - sounds like an e in city

There's heaps more, but the majority of the alphabet is not sounded the same every time it's used, therefore applying the logic that the title of the letter should be as it sounds can't apply.

PS. I was educated in WA and I pronounce it aitch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im a western Aussie too :-) Though if we apply that logic maybe we should be saying wubbleyou instead of doubleyou for 'W'... Maybe 'H' and 'W' are the only 2 letters who don't have to be said how they sound??

You obviously didn't see my post from yesterday!

"And F, L, M, N, S, X which all start with E when said out loud, R which starts with an A, U which starts with a Y and Y which starts with a W :-/ The phonetic excuse just doesn't cut it!"

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We can't apply the logic of making the sound of the letter it's title as the majority of letters do not sound as they are titled - and can't be because they change their sounds dependent upon the word they're used in.

EG:
    A (ay) sounds short in ant/an/at, then long when teamed with ai, a-e, then as an O in yacht, watch, or e sound in said (with ai again)
    C (see) sounds like see in city, but harsh sound in cat, then changes when teamed with h for ch sound
    E (ee) short sound in bed/get, but then long sound with e-e, ee, ea (but can be short as in read or read
    G - can be Gee or geh sound (eg. hedge, hog)
    R - pronounced ah not rah
    Q - can't even be used without a u
    X - can be short in fox/box, or z sound xylophone

There's heaps more examples -but that's a start.

PS. I'm educated in WA and I was taught aitch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aitch
    I thought all aussies said it as Haitch! everyone I have met says it like that,but kiwis say Aitch

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's "aitch". My eldest has been saying "haitch" lately and I jump on him in horror every time.

"Haitch" is just one of those errors that has become so common that it's accepted by many people... But it's still an error

Here's what good old Wikipedia has to say...

And it's interesting (and satisfying) to note that Oxford online dictionary doesn't have an entry for "haitch", only for "aitch".
    Last edited by lambjam; 24-04-2012 at 14:33.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (24-04-2012),Mod-pegasus  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poll added - but I can't work out a way to add more votes in than myself - so if others come back -they'll have to vote themselves.