Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aitch

29 78.38%
  • Haitch

8 21.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Exactly what CreatureKindness said.

So, when in doubt, there are two ways you can figure it out. Either...

a) Remove the other person from the sentence, eg "Dad took Liam and me/I to the movies" becomes "Dad took me/I to the movies". "Me" becomes the obvious choice. Or;
    b) Switch the two people around, eg "Dad took me/I and Liam to the movies". You would never say "Dad took I and Liam to the movies", and it's just as incorrect to say "Dad took Liam and I to the movies".

As an aside, in this example putting the word "Liam" in front of the word "me" is not a grammatical rule, it's just polite. So, grammatically, it's no different to say "Would you like to come with I and Sam to the shops" as it is to say "Would you like to come with Sam and I to the shops"; both are equally incorrect. Yet this is how so many people are taught to speak.

ETA: BTW Pegasus, it never changed, your earlier teachers just had it wrong (as I would say the majority of them do).
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-05-2012 at 13:15.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (01-05-2012),Mod-pegasus  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm set to autopilot on the 'Me, Myself or I' thing!

and blame (give credit to ) my grandfather.
    Force of habit has me correcting the kids and/or DP all the time - I really have to bite my tongue around friends.
    I don't intentionally mean it - it just comes out if I hear it said the incorrect way.

DP gets the absolute sh!ts... Him- "me, I..myself - what ever, same thing thing !!"
    Me - "Yeh, no..not really. ..."