+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Some success

I thought I would post a success story. I've been coming to this section for awhile now and I love reading when others have success with the "no-cry" concept. It makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing when there is so much pressure to just let my DS cry-it out.

To start DS was never a great night sleeper. Until very recently he NEVER slept through the night. He was a BF baby and in the early days we would sometimes (but not solely) co-sleep. At times he would wake up 10-12 times during the night and not just in the early days- when he was 12 months. DH and I were both exhausted but we were both determined not to let him cry. Obviously he needs us for some reason. I also refused to attend sleep school.

We started with the No-cry sleep solution and had some success in the first couple of weeks. We got down from 10-12 wake ups to 1-2 which was really awesome. It took persistence and a lot of patience. Most of all we did not have to let him cry. The routine I think was the number one idea that worked best. I thought we had a routine until I wrote it down and realised we weren't consistent. The dark room and "lovey" didn't work for us.

DS is now 18 months and I have weaned him (i was ready to do this although I don't think he was quite as keen as I was). He sleeps from 7pm to 4:30-5:00am when he wakes up for a milk bottle then it's back to sleep until 6:00am when he wakes up ready to go. That's when the household gets up anyway so we're fine with that. I will eventually switch that milk bottle to water but for now I figure we've come a long way from 10-12 wake ups.

Ultimately I wanted others to know that you do not have to use a CC or CIO method to have a baby that will sleep. You do need to have some patience and not expect miracles over-night. DH and I are so much happier with the way we have gone about it and to all the "helpful" advice from friends and family telling us we should try another method- I say mind your own business!!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (25-05-2012),ilovehats  (28-04-2012),smallpotatoes  (01-05-2012),Tazzy  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi that is great to hear! What method/routine did you use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd love to hear your routine also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you use the no cry book?

Im at wits end with my 23 month old. He can not fall asleep (or go.back to sleep) without nursing, being held and touching bare skin.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great! I'm just about to try wean my 19 mo and getting him to wake up less at night. This gives me hope thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    The routine was fairly simple and based roughly on the no-cry toddler book. It starts around 5pm with his dinner which usually lasts 30 minutes but sometimes longer. From 5:30 until 6:30 we have more quiet playtime. So there is no TV, music or computers. We do sing songs, read, play with DS's cars or blocks etc.. Now here is where the routine sometimes comes undone- when DH gets home DS gets super excited. If DH gets home before 6:00 then it's okay. If, however, DH gets home around 6:30 (or 6:45) then my routine gets pushed out by another 30 minutes while DS calms down again. At 6:30 DS has a bath. I put on his pajamas and he has a warm bottle of formula while I sit with him in the glider with the night light on. When he's almost asleep I put him down in his bed with the bottle and walk out. If DH is home then I usually get him to give DS the bottle and put him down. That really helped when I was weaning.

The biggest things for us were no TV, computers or music about 1 hour before bed and a bath right before bed. I will eventually try to get DS to lie down in bed to drink his milk instead of on my lap. I also found DS needs a night light. The pitch black room freaks him out.

The best thing I did for weaning was go away for the weekend. I wasn't there so DS had no choice but to drink cows milk or formula- both of which we had tried before I left. He just preferred boobies. When I got back I still hadn't dried up so DS did try to latch on but I kept saying that boobies had gone away. Once I dried up he hasn't tried, although I do get the odd hand down my top.

I hope that helps. It wasn't anything major but it works for us. Plus DS is not perfect. We still have bad nights- like last night when DS had several coughing fits that would wake him up. I figure colds and teething are a different story. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the happy ending. We're just starting to work on weaning back the co-sleeping and the constant wake-ups during the night and it's nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

cheers

cas

Visit my current project:
    http://southcoastweddings.org/

and on facebook
    www.facebook.com/southcoastweddings

9. The Following User Says Thank You to southcoastmummy For This Useful Post:

CDNinOZ  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who wrote 'The No Cry Toddler Book'? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was Elizabeth Pantley as well. Some good tips although I didn't use it religiously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great. Thanks!

I've just ordered a copy!
    Last edited by LJMsMum; 07-07-2012 at 09:30.