+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Some people demand feed with formula too. Do you only get thirsty every 4 hours???? I need a glass of water every hour at least.
    That's a very good point. I'v never heard of people demand feeding with formula. I guess because the guidelines say every 4 hours,and it's what all my family/friends who FF do,I assumed that is what most people do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Don't worry op. Not all BF babies feed every hour. From a few weeks my bubba would feed every 3-4 hours during the day and go 6-8 hours overnight.
    That's relieving to hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Great idea. See if you can get yourself some books, too.

It's not easy in the beginning but long-term it's well worth it. No need to buy bottles, sterilizing equipment, formula. You don't have to get up at 2 am to prepare a bottle of milk, just whack them on your chest and off you go.

Yeah I think I definitely gave up far too quickly last time round, this time im not buying any of that stuff, bottles, sterilizing equipment etc, i'm determined lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

And also you can still demand feed with formula, some FF babies do feed frequently. Either a little feed frequently or big feeds. Because every baby - like every adult - has different nutritional and energy needs.
    Sorry Bo0b, I just realised you said this about demand formula feeding first, sorryy! I hate it when people quote the person after me and reply when I have said the exact same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    It has also been found that often formula can cause early stretching of the stomach, because babies doesn't generally have a lot of control over how much intake they have.
    You mean because rather than generally smaller frequent amounts, FF babies generally have larger amounts, just less often?
    Last edited by GothChick; 23-04-2012 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Yeah I think I definitely gave up far too quickly last time round, this time im not buying any of that stuff, bottles, sterilizing equipment etc, i'm determined lol.
    That's the frame of mind I had when I had DS, I had no "just in case" equipment around, if we were having a tough night we had to just struggle through it. Believe me, it wasn't always easy, but often you'll have a difficult/painful night here and there but you CAN generally get through it.

We lasted to 2.5 years despite a traumatic birth, him jaundice and lethargic, bleeding nipples and him wanting to feed allllll the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think breast feeding is 'easier' (I would - i think ive forgotten what its like to not be either breast feeding or pregnant) for all the reasons with buying stuff mixing it etc but also when you bottle feed you hold the baby in one arm and the bottle in the other - how do you Facebook on your smart phone while bottle feeding!!!! that right there should be the fore front of the 'breast is best' campaign.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-04-2012),MilkiCuddles  (23-04-2012),MissMuppet  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, breast fed babies can start feeding more frequently from time to time and can become Unsatisfied with the volume of milk and get frustrated and grizzly, because milk works on supply and demand and their bellies grow so fast early on, so the amount of milk that filled them last week no longer satisfies them, so they feed frequently until your breasts get the 'message' to increase supply (couple of days)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on the weather too. When it's hot your baby would feed more frequently because their thirsty than when it's cold. Also the consistency of the milk changes when it's hot and cold. On growth spurt days they'd feed more frequently too so as to build supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am going to give it 100% to try and BF this time. I know it still may not work but I feel I know more with this being my second.. hahaha.. I think I am kidding myself LOL. But with saying that I had a SHOCKING experience with BF last time and formula was a godsend for my tiny IUGR baby. So if I can BF then great and if not then OH WELL
    and yeah, Gothchick i agree with ur above comment. My son would drink till he was full and if the bottle was half empty when he was full he would just stop?