+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default School and moving house .. Opinions please

Hi guys I have DD who is in Kindy at a school I'm soo happy with. It's private and it goes k-12 which is what we were looking for. Currently takes me bout 20 mins to get there.
    Ok problem is.. We are currently moving which means school will be half hour away, I will be having twins soon too.
    Do we keep her there and just do the drive because we love the school or do I find a local school and enrol her there??
    I figure I will have to leave home by 8 am to get to school and get a park unload and get to class, then leave again at 2.20 ish to do the same. Just concerned with 2 bubs how it will be on them?
    Arrgh!! What would u do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd move her. There's no way I'd personally put up with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are upsides to moving her
    To a school near home, like having neighborhood friends, smaller drive, lift rosters, as she gets independent she can ride etc.

However if you want to send the babies there too I would just keep doing the school run. If the schools in the new area are not good keep her there.

She is young so will not even remember the change in years to come so long as you do it soon. IMO (as a mum and a teacher)its now or never I wouldn't want her starting f/t school and then swapping her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends how much you love the school and what other options. We did it for four years for dss cause the school was amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will the move (of area) be long term? If so then I would change schools, provided the new school is a good one.
    I currently drive my kids 45 minutes to school, it's a bloody nightmare and I hate it, it's SO time consuming and draining. But I do it because we are without a place of our own to live at the moment and are living with family out of the area, it was only supposed to be short term though which is why I didn't change schools. That said, we've been here almost 2 years now much longer than I planned!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it will be long term move! Last move for a loong time. There Is the option of a bus service for when she's in high school, but the twins will go there too, so I will more than likely drive them.
    I'm thinking I just give it a go, she loves the school and has so many friends that all came from the pre kindy programs . I will feel awful changing schools

Thanks
    Reviews
    Half and hour isn't that far away. I would leave her there and see how you go. Especially since you are happy with the school. Being closer wouldn't be worth it if the school wasn't as good.

I used to walk DD1 to school most days when she was little and that took me 25mins. But yeah the school drop offs and pick ups were hard especially when my twins were little. Driving used to actually take me longer than walking because our car was in the street. We had 3 flights of stairs, then I had to get the pram, walk to the car, get them in and then out again at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly the worst thing about the kinder/school run with bubs in tow is actually getting out the door. It doesn't matter if school is 5 minutes drive away or half an hour. It's a real hassle sometimes just to get in the car, especially if it means waking a sleeping baby. I will say that being further away from school will increase the potential for you to need to feed on the go (and change nappies, but that's not such a big deal). I have had to feed my dd quite often at either kinder drop off or pick up (ds goes to kinder from 9 - 3 every day). I can imagine with twins this would be more difficult. But if you're out for an hour each morning and each afternoon that's quite a lot of time out of the house.

I'm only 15 minutes from where my ds goes to Kinder and I find it hard. That's an hour of driving each day and an hour out of the house. That means less time for other things like shopping, sleeping, cleaning, etc. We're hoping to move closer to his school cause it goes to year 12 too and we love it.

Honestly with twins on the way I'd be switching schools. Imagine how much more time you'd have in the day if you lived 5 minutes from her school. She'll make friends wherever she goes, that shouldn't be a factor. You're going to need your sleep, you're going to need the ease of feeding/changing the bubs at home rather than on the run and you're going to need the maximal amount of time between drop off & pick up to do things like shopping, sleeping, feeding, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your opinions! Is still don't know what to do!! Pregnancy brain maybe! Hmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We send our children to a school which is an hour away because we love the school. It is also K-12 so all 5 kids will go there together eventually We leave the house at 7.20 and get back around 4.10 It is huge but we feel we have made the right decision. Half an hour doesn't sound that much to me!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MummaG23  (23-04-2012)