+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    869
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked
    70
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im glad you went and got it checked out. But honestly that doctor sounds horrible. Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

  2. #12
    Opinionated's Avatar
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,509
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked
    808
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Do you mean an abscess? It might be. It could also be infected insect or spider bites. I would skip the home surgery (and I wouldn't clean a needle with bleach before sticking it in my skin- poisonous much!!- if you MUST do this, use something like isocol) and go straight to the gp.
    Bleach is not particularly poisonous in low concentrations. If it was we would all drop dead from our chlorinated drinking water. Bleach is chlorine. Any amount still on a needle is going to be very minor, but enough to kill bugs. It's better than sticking a dirty needle into your hands.

    I recommended the home approach because I knew exactly what the Dr would do. Same thing was done to my daughters finger last week because we couldn't get the infection under control at home. If you can, try not to let something like that get so out of hand. Often if you soak an abcess in boiled, salted water, it will burst on it's own, and the water softens it enough so that you need less pressure to empty it. Salt also helps draw out the infection, whilst helping to kill germs.

    If you started treating this early, you might have avoided antibiotics and a doctors visit. Glad it is sorted now op, make sure you take the full course of antibiotics.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Bleach is not particularly poisonous in low concentrations. If it was we would all drop dead from our chlorinated drinking water. Bleach is chlorine. Any amount still on a needle is going to be very minor, but enough to kill bugs. It's better than sticking a dirty needle into your hands.

    I recommended the home approach because I knew exactly what the Dr would do. Same thing was done to my daughters finger last week because we couldn't get the infection under control at home. If you can, try not to let something like that get so out of hand. Often if you soak an abcess in boiled, salted water, it will burst on it's own, and the water softens it enough so that you need less pressure to empty it. Salt also helps draw out the infection, whilst helping to kill germs.

    If you started treating this early, you might have avoided antibiotics and a doctors visit. Glad it is sorted now op, make sure you take the full course of antibiotics.
    Chlorine undiluted isn't safe to go on skin. Bleach can mean chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, lye or a couple of other things. Household bleach is not in a low concentration and not safe for skin application.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP that all sounds awful- glad it's over and done with!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    121
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have tried doing it myself but i just couldnt do it .

    These antibiotics are knocking me about thou, falling in and out of sleep.
    I havent had any medication or panadol or anything in 3 yrs

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    153
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing, that must absolutely kill! I'm glad you ended up going to the Dr as it sounded a bit too far gone to be attempting to drain it yourself. You'll feel heaps better once the antibiotics get into your system and start working on the infection.

    Just try and rest and do as little as possible until you start to feel better. You'll be right hun.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ouch that must have hurt so much! Glad you went to the doc.

    Just as far as the anaesthetic goes, it is very painful to numb fingers as you need a ring block. Basically two or more injections at the base of the finger. And very painful.
    So I think you were better off the way the doc did it. Still b@@dy hurts though!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Dislocated thumb
    By kdsd in forum General Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-06-2012, 18:53
  2. Dummy or Thumb
    By HappinessQuest in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 21:34
  3. thumb sucker
    By michelle2 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 10:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!