View Poll Results: Have you ever been paid compensation?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 37.93%
  • no, never been in a position to claim

13 44.83%
  • no, and I have been in a position to

4 13.79%
  • other

1 3.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    CTP is compulsory third party insurance, which covers the driver of the insured vehicle for injuries sustained by a third party in case of an accident where they are at fault. This is a component on the registration renewal (and you do have the option of picking your own insurer) and does not cover damage to vehicles.

Third party property is an optional choice you make with your own insurance that you take out, should you choose to do so, be it only third party property or comprehensive that includes damage to your own vehicle as well as others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

share a book  (23-04-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    CTP is compulsory third party insurance, which covers the driver of the insured vehicle for injuries sustained by a third party in case of an accident where they are at fault. This is a component on the registration renewal (and you do have the option of picking your own insurer) and does not cover damage to vehicles.

Third party property is an optional choice you make with your own insurance that you take out, should you choose to do so, be it only third party property or comprehensive that includes damage to your own vehicle as well as others.
    Thanks Pina Colada - this must be unique to Queensland (definitely not the case in WA or NT).

The CTP, not the third party which you may choose to take out on your car against damage to another person's vehicle.

In Australia insurance on a vehicle isn't compulsory for it to be registered (I believe this is the case in some other countries).

Anyone in any other state know if you can choose if another insurer can handle any CTP claims? As I said - definitely not the case in states I've worked in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Thanks Pina Colada - this must be unique to Queensland (definitely not the case in WA or NT).

The CTP, not the third party which you may choose to take out on your car against damage to another person's vehicle.

In Australia insurance on a vehicle isn't compulsory for it to be registered (I believe this is the case in some other countries).

Anyone in any other state know if you can choose if another insurer can handle any CTP claims? As I said - definitely not the case in states I've worked in.

In NSW when registering a car it is compulsory to have whats called a ‘green slip’ when registering your car. There are three (I think) insurers who you can get them off (I got mine from CGU)... this is completely different to the NT where your CTP is included in your registration cost.

DH & I bought a car when we were down there. We had to go to CGU to get a green slip, then take that along with the registration papers to vehicle authority to register the car. I think for a 1996 holden Barina it ended up costing us about $900 for the 12months (thats off the top of my head, might of been less!). We only paid $400 for the car! lol!

I dont know HOW to actually claim whenyou need to access this, whether you claim through the other persons insurer or via acommison/authority in place to deal (in the NT we deal thru the insurer TIO who deal with all MACA claims), but thats my experience with the two states and their CTP insurance.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    But is this in relation to vehicle repairs or inclusive of personal injury?

I work in private healthcare rehabilitation.

My clients either pay their own bills, or they are charged as compensation (ie. workers compensation or motorvehicle), (or other private DVA etc).

The compensation payments for motor vehicle payments only ever come from the state government run department for motor vehicle injury insurance in the states I've worked in (although I'm now more curious about Qld as I haven't worked in Qld).

I'm not saying there's a general pool of funds but in the instance you're saying here is that if MAIC oversee other insurers managing motor vehicle personal injury claims then it sounds like they contract out some of the insurance. Does this sound correct?
    I'm only talking about personal injuries, which we refer to as CTP in Queensland. There is also third party property insurance, but it's not compulsory in Queensland (on a side note, third party property should be compulsory, as people get confused about the type of insurance they have and inadvertently end up with huge bills).

Once you lodge your claim with the CTP insurer, if liability is not in question, then the CTP insurer will often make payments directly to the claimant's physio or other health care provider. So the cheque would come from Suncorp, NRMA, RACQ etc. If the insurer doesn't pay at the time, then the medical expenses will be added onto the settlement amount paid to the claimant.

I've only worked in plaintiff personal injuries, so I don't know the exact logistics of how MAIC operate, but my understanding is they manage the scheme, but the premiums are distributed to each of the 5 or 6 insurers (as selected when you register) and then the relevant insurer is responsible for it. But as solicitors we would only deal with the insurer, not MAIC.

I've not worked in other states though.

eta; fixed CPD to CTP, sorry.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 23-04-2012 at 16:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, I got a hernia from heavy lifting at a previous employer. No one at this workplace was ever taught safe manual handling. I was only paid for the cost of my operation, which is all I wanted. I was treated very badly by the married couple who owned the business because my claim would have increased their insurance premium.

Worst...job...EVER!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I slipped over on a puddle of water in a Coles super market when I was around 36 weeks pregnant with DD and fell on my hands and knees but thank fully neither of us were hurt. I don't know why but I was so embarrassed that I actually didn't even look around, I just got up and kept walking but did mention it to the check out chick when I was leaving.