View Poll Results: Have you ever been paid compensation?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 37.93%
  • no, never been in a position to claim

13 44.83%
  • no, and I have been in a position to

4 13.79%
  • other

1 3.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hmm yeah that is the danger of a work cover claim for a casual. My mum made a work cover claim tripping down stairs at work and injured her shoulder, so she needed some time off her casual job as night fill at Coles. Surprise surprise the moment the words work cover were uttered she didn't get another shift. It wasn't even that job she was injured at, she wasn't making a claim against them, it was just because she was injured working in job no 1 she could claim lost income for job number 2 as well? (or something like that - im
    Pretty sure thats how coles knew she had made a claim) so it didn't cost Coles a cent, but they still didn't give her any more shifts knowing she had put a claim in against her other employer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, but I wouldn't hesitate to if I needed to.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Coersion or intimidation is a big no no in IR. Infact the individual can face fines for doing so, even if they were under instruction from a supervisor. Pretty scary thing to be doing in this day and age
    This was in 98-99 I worked there. TBH I can't say anything poorly of the higher management/HR or union ppl as I haven't ever dealt with those ppl. It was the food and beverage managers and the executive chefs (I guess lower middle management that looked after say 6 outlets each kinda thing?) They used to be very unprofessional and bully you and intimidate you. I was only 19 and working as an apprenctice chef, they would threaten your immediate bosses would get fired (who where my friends), they would threaten you with no more shifts or to cancel your apprenticeship. They always worded in a way that sounded professional and say it was 'up to you but bear in mind x,y,z COULD happen if you proceed'. And then they would give you an alternative (ie. take two days off and they will pay when i hurt myself. or when i was s3xually harrased my the 2nd chef - they told me 'although nothign was prooven to make me more comfortable they would put him and I on different shifts).

There would always be about 3 of them all in suits, ALWAYS male sittign inbetween you and door - very, very intimidating and confronting. TOTALLY illegal but I was too young to really know how to defend myself or where to go. To me they were the managers that were meant to protect me, but in reality they were just protecting themselves and wanted no trouble.

Obviously I should have gone straight to HR but you don't think that at the time.

In the end I quit because it was so awful going to work and being harrased, hit on, told I was 'another chick who woudl never make it a chef'.

Awful, awful place to work!
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 23-04-2012 at 10:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never been in the situation that I have had too. But I would if I ever am (knock of wood that never happens!).

I work in workers compensation (*hides head before something gets thrown at me*) and I dont feel any nastiness towards those that make claims! Its a scheme thats their for a reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I'm an x-hairdresser who got RSI, my bosses continually lied about me and I nearly lost the case, loosing my career wasn't enough apparently and I had numerous job offers because of being a state competition winning stylist!! I got a pay out that let me take an office job before having babies, my arm and shoulders have never been the same and I have to lift weights to keep up the strength. Have difficulties holding babies, can't work in a salon....

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    In qld, you claim through the other driver's cpd insurance (the insurance you pay with rego), so the insurer pays, not the government. You can claim for medical expenses, and also loss of wages, any expected future loss of wages, and pain and suffering for the injury itself.

other state governments may have a different system though.
    As far as I can tell - it's CTP (Compulsory third party insurance) in Queensland - which is government run. The departments are all called different things in different states - but they are government run.

Compulsory third part insurance is on every car registration in every state - and the money goes into government funding of whichever state run insurance department in that state. (When I worked in NT it was MVIC (Motor vehicle insurance commission), in WA it's ICWA (Insurance commission of WA)), however these are all government run departments.

The Queensland department is the MAIC (Motor Accident Insurance Commission) which is a government run and owned department.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 23-04-2012 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    As far as I can tell - it's CTP (Compulsory third party insurance) in Queensland - which is government run. The departments are all called different things in different states - but they are government run.

Compulsory third part insurance is on every car registration in every state - and the money goes into government funding of whichever state run insurance department in that state. (When I worked in NT it was MVIC (Motor vehicle insurance commission), in WA it's ICWA (Insurance commission of WA)), however these are all government run departments.

The Queensland department is the MAIC (Motor Accident Insurance Commission) which is a government run and owned department.
    When you register your vehicle in Queensland, you have the choice between several insurers (there is a slight premium variation and slightly different terms, eg. Suncorp offer at fault driver cover for a capped amount).

If you have an accident, you serve the claim on the other driver's CTP insurer, eg. Suncorp, RACQ etc. You then deal directly with their claims department and they pay out the settlement. So you get different outcomes depending on insurers, eg. some are easier to deal with than others in settlement negotiations. MAIC oversee it the whole system, but you don't deal directly with them for a claim, and the money doesn't come from a general pool.

If the car was unregistered, or unidentified (eg. hit and run type situation), then you serve a claim on the Nominal Defendant, which is a government pool of money also sourced from registration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had a car accident while working almost 6 years ago. Took me a long time to recover from the soft tissue damage. I was on comp for 7 months til I found another job I could do. I also suffered from severe depression too. Medical expenses for Mede, doctors and physio etc was over 50k and I asked for my claim to be settled whilst I was pregnant with my first as I was stressed and unwell. Insurance claims are expensive and time consuming. I took a cash settlement of $15k. In hindsight I should have asked for more as I still have issues but I just wanted it over and for the pain to go away.

For most of us it's never about the money as such just getting what we are untitled to for care of ourselves and our family. I would never begrudge anyone a genuine claim.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    When you register your vehicle in Queensland, you have the choice between several insurers (there is a slight premium variation and slightly different terms, eg. Suncorp offer at fault driver cover for a capped amount).

If you have an accident, you serve the claim on the other driver's CTP insurer, eg. Suncorp, RACQ etc. You then deal directly with their claims department and they pay out the settlement. So you get different outcomes depending on insurers, eg. some are easier to deal with than others in settlement negotiations. MAIC oversee it the whole system, but you don't deal directly with them for a claim, and the money doesn't come from a general pool.

If the car was unregistered, or unidentified (eg. hit and run type situation), then you serve a claim on the Nominal Defendant, which is a government pool of money also sourced from registration.
    But is this in relation to vehicle repairs or inclusive of personal injury?

I work in private healthcare rehabilitation.

My clients either pay their own bills, or they are charged as compensation (ie. workers compensation or motorvehicle), (or other private DVA etc).

The compensation payments for motor vehicle payments only ever come from the state government run department for motor vehicle injury insurance in the states I've worked in (although I'm now more curious about Qld as I haven't worked in Qld).

I'm not saying there's a general pool of funds but in the instance you're saying here is that if MAIC oversee other insurers managing motor vehicle personal injury claims then it sounds like they contract out some of the insurance. Does this sound correct?
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 23-04-2012 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got a payout of a few grand. It cost way more than that to recover. I lost my job, could only find a casual job, was unable to work some shifts which meant loss of income, and more than a decade later I am on limited work capacity still. So no, I agree, not exactly a money-making venture. Just recovers some or all of our losses really.