View Poll Results: Multi - best options for 'attached parenting style'you do?)

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single pram (if you need double later upgrade)

4 50.00%
  • Pram that can be turned into double straight up

1 12.50%
  • Stoller - NB - toddler

0 0%
  • Best quality for what you want regardless of price - everyone needs a good pram/stroller

2 25.00%
  • Cheap pram - you will barely use it

0 0%
  • Bassinet - suitable for pram

1 12.50%
  • Bassinett - just for home

3 37.50%
  • Bassinett - don't bother

2 25.00%
  • Car capsule - connects with pram

2 25.00%
  • Car capsule - doens't connect to pram

3 37.50%
  • Pram - Baby Jogger City Select 1 car

0 0%
  • Baby jogger city select - 1 car + bassinett

0 0%
  • Phil&Ted - smart buggy + bassinett

0 0%
  • McClaren stroller

0 0%
  • Other pram - tell me your favourite

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Prams, bassinets, car caspules - HELP PLS!!

Im sure this question has been asked, but I can't fint it cos my internet is being crapola.

So first bub due November, don't want to label myself because who knows what will happen but I suspect I will be following attachment principals and baby will be carried majority of the time.

As for sleeping, plan on 'co-sleeping' with the 3 sided cot pushed up against bed.

So I am trying to work out best options for
    1. car capsule
    2. car seat
    3. pram
    4. bassinet??
    PRAMS
    looking at Baby jogger city select as it goes into a double. But its alot of money for something I may never use. Someone else has showed me the phil&ted smart buggy + bassinet (only $300ish). Not sure if I should go single and upgrade to double pram if/when I need it, or buy one that can be a double straight up (even if more $$$). Plus I heard some dodgy things about phil&ted? Or do I just get a single stroller that suitable from NB - toddler (liek mcclaren)

BASSINET
    do you need one? will you use it alot (especially considering I think I will mostly carry bub). Would a good option be to buy a bassinet that connects to pram, so it can be used inside as bassinet in different rooms, when travelling and also for transport? Or do I just buy a cheap bassinette for home?

CAR SEAT
    was thinking of hiring the capsule for first 6-12mths and then buying a bigger seat. Or can you buy a seat that goes from NB - toddler?

advice welcomed and poll to follow...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    haha - I have been ttc for 2yrs - so done lots of research on wraps /carries and pretty much happy with my decisions about that. I had thought I wouldnt bother with a pram at all, but apparently I am nuts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love the city select. It is wide though and sometimes I wish i had a stroller too. BUT I really like DS facing me so I can talk to him. Might be something to think about? I had a p&t explorer which I sold because DS hated facing away. The p&t smart looks good bit I'm not sure if the seat is on the small side? I bought the second seat for my city subject even I bought the pram and now that I'm not utd with number 2 yet I'm wondering if I'll even need it. That said, I do find it to be a fantastic single pram anyway. My next choice would have ben a bugaboo bee plus for only one child and I feel like I got more value with the city select.

I used an ergo almost exclusively for 5 months but after that DS stopped liking it so much. He won't go on at all now at 12 months. It was great. I had to hold him for his day sleeps til around 4 months so it really helped and I found it really supportive.

I used a capsule til 7-8 months then rear facing in a convertible (0- 4 years) seat til 11 months and then forward in the same seat. The capsule was handy to carry him into people's houses when he was small and I used out as a travel system with my p&t explorer.

I had a bassinet which lasted 4 months next to my bed. Then I ended up moving the cot in there anyway because I wasn't ready for him to be in his own room. The bassinet was really only really good for wheeling around the house for day sleeps so if I had mu time again I would purchase one for the pram instead which would have been handy visiting people too.

I can't remember if there were any other questions.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh i am starting to get alot of 'you planning on doing WHAT?' - I am just gonna do what I think is right and seems natural to us you know.

what prams do you have?

btw - for the carriers/slings i was thinking (excuse the name typos - can't bebothered looking them all uponline and i can't quite remember all the details yet).

anyway, the stochen woven wring sling, stochen woven wrap (heard you need lots of skill for this but if you can master it is great), hugabub stretchy type that ill make myself (a couple of these), a meduca carrier??? I think that should cover most situations - or you think I need somethign different?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly the pram..I have the Phil & teds smart buggy and basinett. For us it was a waste. DD was born 3.8kg and fit in the bassinet maybe til 8/10 weeks. In that time I used it maybe three times and if I had found a stretchy wrap i wouldn't have used it at all! I had a nurture sling I used in cradle position most days.

Bassinett- I had one and a cot and so far have used neither lol but in your case obviously cot is worth it but I'd skip the bassinet.

Car seats- I bought the safety 1st capsule as it was the only 5 star rf seat at the time. I found it horrible, DD's head would fall forward constantly and I hated using it. I don't know if you want to invest in a good convertible since the laws on ISOFIX are changing next year. So you may want to hire the capsule then look at what is newly available.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was looking at the Phil and Ted range and found that they looked too large for a newborn baby. I ended up opting for the iCandy in which I purchased the bassinet attachment. The bassinet attachment wasn't essential as the safe and sound unity capsule we have fits the pram.

Our capsule I put bub into when I'm around the house, he loves it and has no issues sleeping in it. I like the fact it can rock. A capsule is an essential so finding what's best for you is good. We bought the unity because you can buy the base separately, we have the base installed in both cars and just rotate the capsule between cars as we need to.

For the pram, I would buy a single that can be transformed into a double. I'm planning on going back to back and I loved how on the iCandy I could still use the bassinet for bub and have a toddler seat on. I like to see bub so being able to rotate the seats as I pleased was essential, I also wanted a pram that had accessories to fit our capsule in the event I don't want to take bub out. Basket space was another plus but again all those extras is up to what you want out of your pram.

I use a bassinet but didn't actually buy it. Hubby had purchased it for his kids to a previous marriage and his ex gave it to us. I probably would of just stuck to a cot otherwise, it's a bit expensive to buy things that will only last so long. The bassinet I roll around the house so I can keep a close eye on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few points.

I think a pram is worthwhile. There are heaps of posts of mums saying they wish they hadn't bought the cheap pram cause now they are needing to buy another one as it's useless! I have a mountain buggy (I have the Urban Elite, but I'd recommend the Swift) and I love it. It was more expensive than lots of others but it's great for long walks/shopping trips cause it's comfy for bubs and easy to push/steer, even when fully loaded. I have a stroller (steelcraft profile) that can be used from birth and it's ok, but it's hard to steer when fully loaded (you need to use 2 hands, not one) and it's not so comfy for bubs. It's ok, but I like the option of the Mountain buggy too (but I don't like the fact that my MB takes up my whole car boot!).

You may think that you'll carry bubs everywhere and maybe you will, but I can't carry bubs much at all. I ended up with bad back issues later in both pregnancies and then I had BIG bubba's. If you have a 2.5kg newborn that is still only 5kg at 3 or 4 months then I imagine carrying bubs everywhere is easier. But my ds was 4kg at birth and my dd was 4.4kg and that might not sound that heavy, but trust me, after a while it gets heavy ... even in the Ergo. My kiddies grew quickly too, with my ds at 9kg at 6 months and my dd at 9kg at almost 7 months. Try carrying 9kg on your chest for 2 hours around the shops ... that is hard work! Especially with a nappy bag over your shoulder (boy those things get heavy!), a few bags of shopping in your other hand ... oh, and then you drop your keys on the middle of the road! I'm not trying to knock attachment parenting, I'm just saying that for bigger shopping trips, especially as your child gets older & heavier, a pram can be fantastic! It gives you the option of carrying your bub in a sling/Ergo/etc for part of the trip without having to also lug your bags/etc (they go on the pram) and then when you need to go to the toilet/eat lunch/try on clothes yourself or when bubs is asleep and getting really heavy, they can go in the pram.

Sorry, I have to go now, but I'll try & come back & answer your other questions at a later time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need a pram. I know people who use theirs up until their kid's 5 years old. I'll probably be one of them.

My babies quickly outgrew my capacity for baby wearing, I'm not the strongest and even have difficulty lifting them some days, let alone wearing them. I also find it good for when family have my kids.

My DS didn't walk until he was 17mo and now at 2 trying to convince him we're going one way when he wants to sit in the middle of the road is insanity. He's more comfortable and safer in a pram most days, at 20kg I can't carry him.

I very much agree with a PP having a pram while you shop and baby wear is great as it makes a great trolley.

I have a P&Ts, a very old one and need to upgrade it, but it's great and in great nick, it's just visibly struggling to carry 30kg of kids + cargo. I find the double seat when I have one kid is great for extra storage as that's one thing the P&T doesn't have in abundance. It's a bit short for me though and not as comfortable for me to push as my first pram ($10 garage sale) which is sadly a single. It folds away tiny and is nice and light. I don't love the newborn double mode for it, it's awkward to get the baby in, but as we baby wore for the first months, we went straight to double mode sitting up, so it wasn't an issue.

I found the bassinet useful to take my sleeping babies around the house with me while they slept.

We used the family capsule for the first few months. It was great being able to just lift them out and take them where we were going without waking them.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 25-04-2012 at 06:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My thoughts are you need a pram. I had two Nov babies and I wore my babies but some days it was just way too hot to carry them, or some days I just didn't want a baby attached me to 24/7 and the pram was a nice break. I won't advise you onwhat type of pram, I bought one in 2005 for my first and used it for all three so my advice is think about what you want in a pram, think about how close you'd like your children and decide if a single will be fine or you need to look at one that can convert to a double. Lots of people on here seem to go through 2 or 3 prams before they find the one they like...it's a lot of money to fork out on prams!

I never had a bassinet...I just didn't see the point. We co-slept from birth with DD2 and DS and DD1 just went straight in to the cot. I'd only get a bassinet if I wanted baby in my room but not my bed and I couldn't fit a cot in there....otherwise, waste of time IMO.

Car seats - I never had a capsule. Even if they fell asleep in the car they'd go to sleep again pretty quickly once they were settled in their pram or in the wrap. Lugging a car seat around just didn't appeal to me. The only time it would have been convenient was if I had to duck in to the shop to buy one or two things but I'd just wait until the baby was awake to do things like that anyway. A convertible car seat was a much better investment for my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your planning on carrying baby maybe look on eBay or in local 2nd hand stores for a nice pram that's cheaper that way you have one but don't need to worry if it doesn't get used.

You can buy a convertible car seat which goes from birth to 4 yrs.

We hired a hospital bassinet for about 60 dollars it was either a 3 or 6 month lease. I liked that ds could be in his own bed but in our room.

It really is personal preference. Also depending on your height carrying baby might not be ideal. I'm barely 5 foot and found the pouches put a lot of strain on my back