+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gallstones ..... And being pregnant

Hello I have been in emergency for the last night with the most shocking pain ( worse than a contraction!) turns out I have 4 large gallstones.

They said when I have another attack to go back to hospital as I am 4 weeks pregnant.

Has anyone got gallstones how did you treat this? I am dreading another attack I don't want to eat a thing but then I have too because of the bub.

The sheet says no dairy/eggs or legumes as this can set thing off alongside with fatty foods how can I keep my diary up?

Why does this happen to me, I feel so guilty that i have done something to bub so that I could have some pain releif - the docs said what they gave me was safe but you never know (morphine tablets and green whistle)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I started getting mild gallstone attacks after DD1 was born, and I still get them now 4 years later. I'm scared of them turning into something full blown
    Dairy doesn't set it off for me, but fatty foods and spicy foods do. I woke up with uncomfortable pains this morning because I had a handful of chips last night, they seem to be getting progressively worse.
    A lot of people, once they know what triggers the attacks in themselves, are able to avoid attacks by avoiding their triggering foods. The only real way to cure them is to have them removed. Though, in saying that, DF who used to get very severe attacks saw a naturopath who gave him some juice or something (tasted foul) that dissolved the stones and he hasn't had an issue since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started getting my main attacks after DS2, but when I think about it I was getting pains (warning I suppose) while pregnant. The pregnancy hormones set it off apparently. The attacks were the worse pain I have had in my life. I had 11 attacks while waiting for my hospital date to get it out. I ended up in emergency as a stone got stuck and no matter what I ate/drank I had attacks. I went 4 days without eating anything.

Avoid ANYTHING with ANY fat in it. I lost 18kgs from just not eating any fat in the time I was waiting. I ate alot of those lean crusins, weight watcher dinner things as well as allot of grilled chicken breast, rice, pasta with crushed tomatoes etc. For some reason I could never stomach steak. I cooked everything I had in extra virgin olive oil spray no butter or oil.

Good luck I hope you can avoid as many attacks as possible while you are pregnant until it is time to get it out and I recommend getting it out ASAP after you have bub. Congrats on your pregnancy, I don't think the attacks can hurt your baby did you ask the dr at the hospital?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I spent the last four months of my first pregnancy in and out of hospital on a morphine drop and my baby was perfect :-)

Don't feel guilty, they wouldn't have given you anything that wasn't safe for bub.

I ended up having my gall bladder out when bub was 4.5 weeks old. Best thing ever!! Honestly, my gall attacks were worse than labour itself.

Anything can set an attack off unfortunately. Just eat really really really bland foods and I found that if I felt an attack starting, I could lay down on my right hand side and sometimes stop the attack before it started (the gall bladder hangs off the right hand side of the oesophaegus, and the pain comes when the stone tries to leave the gallbladder so laying on your right side means the stone can fall back into the gallbladder)

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i feel your pain! I had a gallbladder attack when I was 28 weeks pregnant i thought i was going to die. Went in for monitoring and dd was fine, perfect heart rate! Didnt affect her at all. I had my attack straight after eating 2 large donuts (the really yeasty kind). I avoided too much fat the rest of my pregnancy and havent had another attack since. Ppl told me gallbladder attacks were worse than childbirth. I do NOT agree lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ouch! I had the same when DS2 was 8 weeks old- it was excrutiating. I had morphine and was sent home. Second attack came a week later- was in hospital for 6 days and had all sorts of tests but no results. So, I came home again and haven't had an attack since. I agree with other posts- stay away from fatty foods- there must be somethign about being pregnant that causes these things to flair up. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    So when I start to have cravings I need to reach for a carrot stick then
    I am just dreading if I have to go through an attack again!
    They gave me panadine forte and said to take that if I get one if it doesn't go away go straight to the hospital I would hate to think that the pain is hurting the baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The pain won't be hurting the baby at all

Panadeine Forte and morphine can work against you though as it constricts vessels which can trap the gallstone in your bile duct - OR, as it did in my case, force it through.

You've been given great advice about eating bland foods. Fatty foods always set mine off!