+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if you are thinking of a catholic school but if you are not a practicing catholic (ie attend church within the schools local parish at least a few times a year) and if your child is not baptized you would have great difficulty getting them accepted anyway. I can't speak for every religious school obviously but this is my experience enrolling my DD in the local catholic primary. FWIW it's more my husband who wants the catholic education for our DD. I had 12 years of catholic education and have made an educated decision it's not for me. However I am willing to give my DD the chance to learn about religion and then she can make up her own mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's a compromise between religious influence and quality of education in many instances.

You need to explain thoroughly the schools beliefs, your beliefs and how she can be respectful of the schools beliefs. It's hard with primary students.
    Unfortunately it is our main option for schooling because where we live our only other school within 30 min drive is a large public which isn't a great school (its not bad, just not ideal). The best public schools here are too far away for us to fall in their catchment.

I went to a private Anglican school for primary and high school and have agnostic parents and I never ever believed. Ill have to ask mum how they approached it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say i am more agnostic..

I am so lucky that my kids talk to me...Ds and I have huge conversations about it.
    I never say well, I believe ..I always say What do you believe or think, or feel?

We have huge conversations about it and I bought him a book called religions of the world so we compare all the time..

I say to him all the time...that no one really knows and it comes down to faith or belief ...and no one is wrong.

He has a muslim friend that he rings and talks to about religion...lol..

He loves it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    My son attends a lovely catholic school and comes home talking about prayers and what he learned in church. I love it :-) its something he'll not learn from me, I've actually learnt a bit from him!!

I don't think much about the 'religion' side of things, I focus on the fantastic morals and values that he's learning at school which are pretty much the same as what I'm teaching him at home - treat others how you want to be treated, think of others before yourself, use your manners and basically try to be a good person :-)
    Same for our DD..... I'm not 'technically' atheist though, like Beryls Mum I am more agnostic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's a compromise between religious influence and quality of education in many instances.

You need to explain thoroughly the schools beliefs, your beliefs and how she can be respectful of the schools beliefs. It's hard with primary students.
    Ding ding ding.

Im in the exact same shoes. I am of nil religion, went t public school until year 6 and sat out of all RE. dad sends us to a Christian school, not full on but prayer and hymns sort of thing. We were old enough by that point to know what we want to know and feel how we want to feel about it. I did what I had to do to get by and thought nothing of it.

We have no good schools here, education is what is important for me and my school is where I'm wanting to send her and it's still 35 min away. I'm not going to sacrifice my child's education because I think religion is a bunch of hoo ha. Hopefully she will learn that that is just what some people believe and will leave it at that. She can decide for herself when she is old enough. I am concerned she will just think that is the norm, she goes to school to learn to read and write so if they're teaching about god what's to stop her from thinking that is just how it is too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs P For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's fine if you don't have strong opinions on it or won't force your opinions/beliefs on your children.
    But if they come home tell you all about Jesus and hear from the parents "what a load of BS" then in my opinion that is wrong.
    Its confusing for the children especially little ones.
    As long as you are willing to accept the possibility of your children strongly believing in a religion then it's fine. I'm not saying they will but really sending them to a catholic school you are in a way teaching them beliefs from a very young age and those beliefs can have a lasting influence.
    Note that I said "can" not "will".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I think it's fine if you don't have strong opinions on it or won't force your opinions/beliefs on your children.
    But if they come home tell you all about Jesus and hear from the parents "what a load of BS" then in my opinion that is wrong.
    As long as you are willing to accept the possibility of your children strongly believing in a religion then it's fine. I'm not saying they will but really sending them to a catholic school you are in a way teaching them beliefs from a very young age and those beliefs can have a lasting influence.
    ... and if the child went to school and said 'well my mum says that's a load bullsh!t' there's a chance they'd remove your kid from the school I believe. I had to sign forms about keeping with the 'special spirit' of the school as a non-Catholic student.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    ^^ My Catholic education definitely included a fair amount of teachings regarding sinning and its apparent consequences (there was a lot of associated guilt thanks to those teachings!).

My child will attend a religious school over my cold, dead body. I plan on teaching them about different religions of the world and their associated customs and beliefs, but it will be from an educational perspective, not in a throat ramming, one-sided, all-consuming manner.

If my children wish to start saying grace, then I will sit quietly and be respectful of their wishes. If they wish to pray, then fine. I'm an atheist, that doesn't mean they have to be.
    Minus the religious education, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    This is my predicament. I do hold disdain for religion (I appreciate its values and morals etc, its the God stuff and worship and sins and the like that I have strong opinions on). I will raise my children as non-religious, and will not hold back my opinions on the topic and I admit I will have a hard time accepting it if my children were to become religious, and will not pretend to be religious for their schooling. It's so difficult to decide whether to sacrifice a better education, smaller, nicer school that will preach to my kids for a large, old, lower socio-economic public school.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They don't have to pretend at all, I sat quietly through prayer, attended mass and didn't participate, enjoyed the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, politely declined to offer prayers or participate in other religious activities.

I personally thought it more respectful to politely and discreetly not participate in the religious side than to pretend. For RE I of course did the work and approached it as theory work, I enjoyed the section on architecture a lot.

The school enrolls your child as a non-Catholic and must respect that. Just like you must respect it's a 'special character' school.