+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Atheists' children who attend religious schools

What do you say when they come home and want to pray/say grace/talk in a 'believing' way about god etc? I'm an atheist and, although my DS doesn't attend school for two more years, wonder what I will say? I feel like I don't want him to be religious but is it wrong to force my opinion on him? Or do you already talk about religion/atheism etc before school? If yes, how did it come up in conversion or did you have 'a talk'?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son attends a lovely catholic school and comes home talking about prayers and what he learned in church. I love it :-) its something he'll not learn from me, I've actually learnt a bit from him!!

I don't think much about the 'religion' side of things, I focus on the fantastic morals and values that he's learning at school which are pretty much the same as what I'm teaching him at home - treat others how you want to be treated, think of others before yourself, use your manners and basically try to be a good person :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I won't send my kid to a religious school for this reason. What's the point in sending her mixed messages and confusing the hell out of her?

If she's at someone else's house and they do grace, I expect her to sit quietly and not eating during it, but not to actively participate (or feel she has to). I would also not really want my daughter coming home genuinely believing we have to do things a certain way or risk eternal damnation or something... so unless it was my absolute only choice, she wouldn't be sent to a religious school.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't speak for other denominations, but generally catholic schools aren't all 'fire and brimstone' sass :thumbs up: though I must admit, I thought the same as you before I looked into it lol.

Personally, I want my kids to have the information and make their own choices :-) this way they get to learn about it but I don't have to go to church lol.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ My Catholic education definitely included a fair amount of teachings regarding sinning and its apparent consequences (there was a lot of associated guilt thanks to those teachings!).

My child will attend a religious school over my cold, dead body. I plan on teaching them about different religions of the world and their associated customs and beliefs, but it will be from an educational perspective, not in a throat ramming, one-sided, all-consuming manner.

If my children wish to start saying grace, then I will sit quietly and be respectful of their wishes. If they wish to pray, then fine. I'm an atheist, that doesn't mean they have to be.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 22-04-2012 at 19:39.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We went to private Anglican schools and they really were not that religious, my friends at catholic schools had a lot more, all we had was 1 scripture lesson a week and at assembly said prayers and end of school term church services, mum said we never questioned or asked anything, my memory from primary school was the stories and songs were fun and in high school no one paid attention any way! If any thing it gave us an understanding of basic christian religion, We are sending DS to an Anglican private school not because it's religious but because its a great private school and the small percentage of religion is nothing we are worried about , I think if your kids ask questions answer honestly, some people believe it and some don't and you can make up your own mind ( most private schools don't care what religion you are as long as you pay the fees! We had Catholics, Jews ( us) heaps of atheists and one Muslim girl!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter starts school next year and whilst she is not attending a religious school her public school has scripture classes. My husband and I are non religious but from a a catholic and methodist families. We have chosen that she will do a year
    In each of the different scripture groups and then choose herself which to attend or to not attend. We hope this way she will get an overview of what religion is and which ones there are. We also teach her the backgrounds to Easter and Christmas do she understands why the celebrations exist even if we don't believe in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really understand why you would send your child to a religious school if you don't want or at least, are not open, to your child being brought up in school learning about that religion and perhaps choosing to identify with that religion themselves.

If you're an atheist and don't want your child to be "religious" then don't send him to a religious school..... Otherwise you can pretty much expect him to come home and talk about what they are teaching him at school regarding God or faith. IMO unless you are willing to "allow" him to embrace what he is learning...there's not much point sending him.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

austmum  (22-04-2012),HugsBunny  (22-04-2012),OneNowOneLater  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    I don't really understand why you would send your child to a religious school if you don't want or at least, are not open, to your child being brought up in school learning about that religion and perhaps choosing to identify with that religion themselves.

If you're an atheist and don't want your child to be "religious" then don't send him to a religious school..... Otherwise you can pretty much expect him to come home and talk about what they are teaching him at school regarding God or faith. IMO unless you are willing to "allow" him to embrace what he is learning...there's not much point sending him.
    It's a compromise between religious influence and quality of education in many instances.

You need to explain thoroughly the schools beliefs, your beliefs and how she can be respectful of the schools beliefs. It's hard with primary students.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (22-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's a compromise between religious influence and quality of education in many instances.

You need to explain thoroughly the schools beliefs, your beliefs and how she can be respectful of the schools beliefs. It's hard with primary students.
    Yep. This is mostly why I went to a catholic high school.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (22-04-2012)