Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Legal advice on abandoned goods and money owed

I'm putting this here for the traffic and hoping someone can help me here. I have mentioned this previously in other posts too so hoping people are familiar with my story.

Last year I let my best friend of 15 years move in to help her out. She was a recovering heroin addict and was almost off the program, our deal was for her to move in here away from everyone, she was from the city I live in the burbs, and clean herself up for once in her life and get somewhere.

Come January she decided to get back on it and hooked up with another friends ex. February was the last I saw her. She told me she was going into rehab and left, including leaving all her belongings bar one bag of clothes.

Come the start of march I received threats off her new man against my daughter and I, I then had them break and enter into my house after having the locks changed and our other friend also has been robbed numerous times.

Then they disappeared off the side of the earth again. Upon cleaning out her room I found dirty syringes, numerous police warrants and a bottle of cigarette butts, despite asking her not to smoke in my house as my daughter is asthmatic, I was furious.

Come Monday last week they made contact again, more threats, demanding I return her things. Now I have two problems, one, obviously I do not want them stepping foot on my property and two, she owes me over $2000 for rent, utilities, damages and what was stolen. I have been to the police who are unable to do anything until they become violent, so I have changed my number and arranged for an intervention order which can't take place until may 3rd.

During this time I tried numerous attempts to contact her, via phone (disconnected) via Facebook and also contacted her family, all to no avail.

So I've decided in lieu of what's owed I will be keeping her bedroom set and fridge as payment.

I want them out of my life and I want to move on. I have advised her she will get everything back upon payment of the $2000 but until then I will keep these things instead.

Does anyone have any legal knowledge on this situation? The police have advised me it's a civil issue as the things where abandoned not stolen, however she is claiming she will be charging me with theft if I don't give everything back, which I do find funny cause I can't see many people taking on a case when her story is, 'umm I decided to get back on the smack and abandoned everything and now 2 months later se won't just give it back to me'.

As stated, happy to return it upon payment of monies owed but I doubt that will happen so this is my next option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Id check with police or ring a lawyer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure you can't withhold her items from her, and she can have you charged with theft, though giving the circumstances I highly doubt she would approach the police. (My dad was withholding personal items of mine, and I called the police who told me it would be considered theft, but I got it back so didn't need to get the police involved)
    Personally, I'd give her her items back, but seek advice from a lawyer WRT getting the money owed to you - the right way. I don't think you have much chance in getting $2000 off of a drug addict, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't withhold her items from her, and she can have you charged with theft, though giving the circumstances I highly doubt she would approach the police. (My dad was withholding personal items of mine, and I called the police who told me it would be considered theft, but I got it back so didn't need to get the police involved)
    Personally, I'd give her her items back, but seek advice from a lawyer WRT getting the money owed to you - the right way. I don't think you have much chance in getting $2000 off of a drug addict, though.
    That's what I was going to say...give it back and chalk it up to experience. At least you'll no longer have the fear of retaliation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If she & her bf have threatened your family why on earth would you hold on to her stuff over $2000. I would be giving her things back & moving on with my life grateful they are gone. It's not worth the battle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Yep  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd forget about the $2000 which you obviously aren't going to get from her and I'd return her things. If your house has been broken into before what's stopping them from doing it again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp, if u want them out of your life & to be able to move on, just give her stuff back. Hugs to you cause what a ****ty thing to go thru :0)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dump the stuff on the verge and tell them to collect it before someone else steals it. Forget the $2000 it's not worth it IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just tell her to come and get it and be done with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    If she & her bf have threatened your family why on earth would you hold on to her stuff over $2000. I would be giving her things back & moving on with my life grateful they are gone. It's not worth the battle.
    This. Some things you just have to write off.