I was meaning that they freeze their mudcakes. Just to give you an idea that they still taste great after freezing.
You can get their mixes at your local cake decorating shop. You will have to google to find your closest one. They will also have fondant there. To get it to keep its shape for stars etc sticking out, then you will need to add some tylose powder to the fondant that you are using for the stars. It is very cheap and lasts ages. You can buy wire for the stars there too. As for icing, sorry, not my area! I can't pipe to save my life!
I have the perfect cake recipe for cutting and icing. Will type it up for you
be right back
Birthday Cake - easy to cut shapes, store and decorate.
melted butter to grease your pan
375g butter, softened
645g (3 cups) caster sugar
9 large eggs
155g (1.5 cups) almond meal
225g (1.5 cups) plain flour
115g (3/4 cup) self raising flour
1tsp ground/powdered cinnamon
1x 300g carton sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius (I find 140 works best in my oven). Brush a 24x36cm baking pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electrc mixer to beat the butter for 3 minutes. Add the caster surgar 1/3 at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, until pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well (approx. 1 min) after each addition, until combined.
4. Stir in almond meal, flours, cinnamon, sour cream until combined (don't over stir!).
5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan
6. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted come out clean.
7. Remove from oven, turn out onto a wire rack after letting sit in pan for 5 mins.
** This cake survives freezing VERY well. Is very very easy to carve and not crumbly at all really.
I personally make my cakes the week before they are needed and freeze them. Then I cut and ice them while they are still semi-frozen
Do you need a buttercream recipe as well?
I would love a buttercream recipe please!
Milky mumma since July 2011
Ok, will dig out my recipe and come back.
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!