+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cake recipes for decorating

I'm attempting to make DS a birthday cake next weekend and really need help with recipes tried and tested. I have been looking at mud cake recipes but thought some experienced mummy's and daddy's might be able to help.

It will be made into a race car track fingers crossed. Also has anyone also got any handy tips (things that have worked or not)?

TIA :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing! I have to do the same thing in 2 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I am making special cakes (like your race track) I tend to use a packet mix cake. I find it makes me feel less stress and pressure.

I like the greens ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a win some lose some situation lol most cake mixes I've tried are terrible and last yr I made a 5 cake for my nephew using a butter cake recipe out of woman's weekly cake book and it was such a greasy cake my only suggestion if you choose not to go with the packet mix is to test out the cake recipe if you have never baked it before also PDA tide icing if you think it will be tricky. But it's awesome that we get a good 6 or so yrs to practise the cakes because in those 6 yrs all cake is good cake even if the decorating is a little off. My nephew this year will be hard to please lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also find it easier to buy a premade sponge from willies for like $5 so all my focus can be decorating lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it easier to use denser cakes or freeze the cake before cutting/shaping and icing as I end up with less crumbs in the icing etc.

I also agree there is nothing wrong with using packet mix or premade cakes. Save the stress for the decorating

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sponges for buttercream, mud/fruitcakes for fondant. I agree, either bake the cake the day before you will decorate, or freeze it so it is less crumbly. I usully work with buttercream, so I just use my regular buttercake recipe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are using fondant then I would go for a mud cake as it will support you decorations better. A great thing to do is go to your local cake decorating shop and buy one of their cake mixes. They are usually great, I have never had a bad one, and comparable in price to supermarket ones. They will also be able to give you exact advice on cooking times, tins, and the amount of cake you will need. Remember you can freeze the cake ahead of time too so that you have less to worry about. They actually taste better after being frozen. I used to wonder, til I found out the cheesecake shop freeze all of theirs! You will need to cut the top off to level it, so bake ahead of time and taste before freezing to make sure you are happy! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So honeymoonBub at the cheese cake shop you can buy cake mixes?
    i wanna make my best friend her bday cake =D
    Where can i get fondant? (exact type: i wanna cut shapes and have them set so they can stick out of the cake.)
    also i would like a very tasty icing recipe one that can be piped. thanks!