+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm so confused by all the foods I'm not supposed to eat so this thread has been interesting.

Eg. I live on toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and usually have them for work. I stopped, but presumably it's okay if it's heated/toasted??

I was also wondering about sushi. I wouldn't eat raw fish (though I love smoked salmon) but if the place is of high quality and they will make you fresh 'cooked' ones (eg chicken teriyaki etc) then presumably it's okay??

I find this so confusing! I had some hollandaise sauce the other week totally forgetting about the raw egg in it... But it's such a small amount and the sauce is heated anyway!?!

Confused!!!
    Its actually the cold rice in sushi that carries bacteria as well as the raw fish and seafood! I'm am addict so I make my own during pregnancy!! Bought a sushezi the other day. Best thing I ever bought!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    Its actually the cold rice in sushi that carries bacteria as well as the raw fish and seafood! I'm am addict so I make my own during pregnancy!! Bought a sushezi the other day. Best thing I ever bought!!
    Yeah I knew there were concerns about the rice. But I thought maybe if it was freshly made. I haven't had any anyway. And when I tried making it myself it was a disaster (and I consider myself a pretty good cook).

I find this food thing hard. Not because I don't want to be sensible etc. but because I ate a lot of the 'banned' foods before and it's hard replacing it when you feel crappola most of the time. Seriously, what do you eat if everything turns your stomach except sushi, or ham salad or BBQ chicken... And the list goes on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've worked in the food industry, done food safety training and now I am studying to be a naturopath with the current unit of study being nutrition. Majority of food poisonings and listeria infections come from poorly prepared, cooked and stored food in the home. Restaurants and good food outlets have strict policies in place to ensure their food is the highest quality possible.

How many of us use a thermometer to ensure meat is cooked to 70 degrees and then reheated to 73. Or always complete seal food to be stored. Or make sure all food is in the safe 0 to 4 degrees range if going into the fridge. Or wash all fruit and vegetables. You're more likely to eat contaminated food in your own home then at a fast food joint. The exception being the soft serve, those machines are filthy. They're often not cleaned correctly or if he staff are in a rush often not cleaned at all. Unless you're buying it first thing in the morning and can guarantee its clean I wouldn't eat it at all, period, pregnant or otherwise.

The problem is that women are being so restrictive in their diets because of listeria they're forgetting that you need a balanced intake of all essential nutrients. Iodine, zinc and omega 3 deficencies have all been linked to miscarriage and stillbirths.

Mercury is likely to effect big deep sea fish and shellfish (they accumulate it under their shell) but small fish are fine. And should be encouraged! Fish are a complete protein (which you need more of during pregnancy and lactation) as well as being packed full of essential fatty acids, essential for brain development. They're essential because our body cannot produce them on its own so it's required from our diets.

Leafy green vegetables are power houses of nutrition, and as long as they're washed should be eaten daily.

Even when not pregnant all fruit and vegetables should be washed, especially if not organic, to remove residual pesticides.

A few years back a study was done by a Townsville scientist that showed over 200 harmful chemicals including carcinogens were being found in the merconium of babies born in the local hospital. Over a period of 3 years the merconium of hundreds of babies was studied and every single one of them had a level of chemical exposure. It was published in the back of the Townsville Bulletein and forgotten about. These are chemicals not just from industrial workplaces but in the home. Most of the women worked and lived without touching products labelled harmful and yet they were exposed to chemicals in their cleaning products, make up, bathroom products (shampoo, bath gel), toothpaste, and foods.

Hundreds of babies with chemical exposure in one hospital compared to the small number of women who contract listeria. I know what worries me more, and it's not a salad sandwich.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

kw123  (24-04-2012),peoniesarepretty  (24-04-2012),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-04-2012),~Marigold~  (24-04-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    You're more likely to eat contaminated food in your own home then at a fast food joint. The exception being the soft serve, those machines are filthy. They're often not cleaned correctly or if he staff are in a rush often not cleaned at all. Unless you're buying it first thing in the morning and can guarantee its clean I wouldn't eat it at all, period, pregnant or otherwise.
    ^ No one knows just how filthy those machines actually are; kids clean them. I've worked in a fast food outlet and they have to be taken apart piece by piece and thoroughly santised daily. (and often are not, or not done properly) Same with the thickshakes. There are pipes and pumps inside that are a breeding ground for Listeria. Also, I avoid slurpee machines at franchised venues where it's often up to the individual owners themselves to worry about servicing/cleaning the machines.. the big chains and most servo's will have a contractor who services them, I think? I hope! Slurpee addict here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Mercury is likely to effect big deep sea fish and shellfish (they accumulate it under their shell) but small fish are fine. And should be encouraged! Fish are a complete protein (which you need more of during pregnancy and lactation) as well as being packed full of essential fatty acids, essential for brain development. They're essential because our body cannot produce them on its own so it's required from our diets.
    Would the amount of omega 3 and other essential vitamins be sufficient just from taking a good pregnancy multi vitamin? I take Swisse Ultivite + Pregnancy.

I often think that I'm not getting an adequate intake of this stuff through food alone and especially fish (I eat it maybe once a week/fortnight)...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    ^ No one knows just how filthy those machines actually are; kids clean them. I've worked in a fast food outlet and they have to be taken apart piece by piece and thoroughly santised daily. (and often are not, or not done properly) Same with the thickshakes. There are pipes and pumps inside that are a breeding ground for Listeria. Also, I avoid slurpee machines at franchised venues where it's often up to the individual owners themselves to worry about servicing/cleaning the machines.. the big chains and most servo's will have a contractor who services them, I think? I hope! Slurpee addict here
    My sister worked at McDs and went to clean the chocolate sauce dispenser and found it full of mould. I still eat it though lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=elleandsam;6523279]

The problem is that women are being so restrictive in their diets because of listeria they're forgetting that you need a balanced intake of all essential nutrients. Iodine, zinc and omega 3 deficencies have all been linked to miscarriage and stillbirths.

Leafy green vegetables are power houses of nutrition, and as long as they're washed should be eaten daily.

Even when not pregnant all fruit and vegetables should be washed, especially if not organic, to remove residual pesticides.

A few years back a study was done by a Townsville scientist that showed over 200 harmful chemicals including carcinogens were being found in the merconium of babies born in the local hospital. Over a period of 3 years the merconium of hundreds of babies was studied and every single one of them had a level of chemical exposure. It was published in the back of the Townsville Bulletein and forgotten about. These are chemicals not just from industrial workplaces but in the home. Most of the women worked and lived without touching products labelled harmful and yet they were exposed to chemicals in their cleaning products, make up, bathroom products (shampoo, bath gel), toothpaste, and foods.

Hundreds of babies with chemical exposure in one hospital compared to the small number of women who contract listeria. I know what worries me more, and it's not a salad sandwich.[/QUOTE]

thank you!!!

its ridiculous how pregnant women have this huge list of "DO NOT EAT" but with no bloody reason why? I'm still confused as to why you cant eat sprouts. I've faxed my OB the question late last night and am hoping to hear from her soon. sprouts in late pregnancy are really good for you! they are galactologues and boost milk supply. How can cheddar cheese which is less nutritious for you be worse than ricotta/fetta which contain more protein/less salt/higher calcium?

I find the bigger issue are chemicals/pesticides and preservatives than Listeria.

THANK YOU for posting this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    My sister worked at McDs and went to clean the chocolate sauce dispenser and found it full of mould. I still eat it though lol
    Yeah that's the same with slurpee machines; I used to work in a cafe that had it's own little slurpee/granita machine and the times I was asked to clean it it was always full of mould. Turned me off for life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would the amount of omega 3 and other essential vitamins be sufficient just from taking a good pregnancy multi vitamin? I take Swisse Ultivite + Pregnancy.

I often think that I'm not getting an adequate intake of this stuff through food alone and especially fish (I eat it maybe once a week/fortnight)...
    you need to eat fish/high omega foods 2-3 times a week to get the correct amount. Why not eat it?

I'm very anti-vitamins. Eat a balanced diet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would the amount of omega 3 and other essential vitamins be sufficient just from taking a good pregnancy multi vitamin? I take Swisse Ultivite + Pregnancy.I often think that I'm not getting an adequate intake of this stuff through food alone and especially fish (I eat it maybe once a week/fortnight)...
    The problem with pregnancy multi vitamins is that the folic acid is not the same as folate that is in green leafy vegetables and is what your baby really needs. It'a absorbed differently and used by the body differently. A multi-vitamin can give your body a boost but you shouldn't rely on it for your total nutrient intake. A diet complete with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain or whole meal breads, pastas, brown rice, whole fat dairy preferably organic as the vitamin D level is higher and the farmers don't use hormones or antibiotics, and plenty of nuts, seeds, beans, legumes and pulses. Meat shouldn't be eaten with every meal. Fish should be eaten once a week.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-04-2012)