+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Luckily there is a Coles next to my work. I just went & stocked up. I bought Ryvitas, cheese, a couple of tomatoes, small tins of tuna, and a couple of tubs of soup. And even bought my own knife and soup spoon, and glad wrap. People at work probably think I'm crazy, especially as we have a free buffet/cafeteria. They have hot dishes and salads - I guess the hot dishes would be okay, but I don't eat there very often as it is. The other pregnant ladies at my work eat there all the time.

One more question: there is a really nice chicken shop near my work too. It's not a food court type place - they do nice, free range BBQ chooks, as well as sides of roasted veggies, chips, burgers, etc. And they have a whole heap of different salads - leafy ones, pasta, rice, etc. And a lot of them contain chicken, which is obviously the cold chicken from the unsold BB chooks cooked the day before. I usually get lunch from there regularly, and the ladies know me. What do you all reckon? They are very busy & seem to go through enough chooks that I think hot chook would be fine. But the salads? I am sure they would follow very good hygeine practices. Would you do it?
    Last edited by peoniesarepretty; 23-04-2012 at 14:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told to stay away from rotisserie chicken. Can't remember why.

As for salads, I bring my own from home every day. Was doing this before pregnancy so not much has changed there.

My only issue is missing sushi like mad, already. Oh and the 200mg a day safe intake of caffeine. That's homeopathic!!!!

By the way, if anyone was going to try Equal with stevia (in a green pack), it's foul.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I like to take salads from home anyway as well - I just don't always have enough time/motivation in the mornings. Sushi and wine are going to be the toughest for me.

I never had more than one cup of coffee a day anyway. Now I kind of alternate days where I have that one cup, days where I just have juice or water and days where I have a green tea instead.

I thought BBQ chooks were okay as long as they're cooked & bought fresh and eaten hot ... or put straight in the fridge and eaten the next day. Going to see my GP tonight where I will hopefully be given some guidance. The IVF clinic don't tell you any of this stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been going off the NSW health guidelines. There is a little booklet you can print out with red/green/yellow warnings for food.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...ood/pregnancy/

Also, the NSW fisheries dept have advice about mercury levels in fish and RDIs. Not that I ever remember what fish I froze, except for salmon which is kind of obvious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, I already know about the mercury/fish thing. I work near the fish markets, so often buy fish for dinner. You're supposed to avoid/minimise certain types of fish even before TTC as it stays in your system for a while.

Will check out the NSW booklet, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always thought bbq chooks were ok if fresh. If you trust the place, you should be ok - let the ladies know. If the salads were made fresh that morning I would think it would be ok. I would steer clear of the chicken ones though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BBQ chooks when hot if properly cooked should be fine. Hot sprouts that are cooked are also fine it is the hydroponcally grown in moist conditions that means sprouts can harbour bacteria, there have been recalls for spouts in the past for e coli and listeria. So no alfalfa or snowpea sprouts etc in salads and be careful with thai noodles like pad thai as it is often topped with uncooked bean sprouts.

There have been at least 2 recalls in the past 2 months for listeria, one was a premade supermarket salad and the other a soft cheese.

I also have GD and TBH it is very difficult when eating out, it has to be a hot meal with veges for me, I will not eat salads and chips, rolls, pasta etc can be bad for the gestational diabetes. If I was working I think I would have a very hard time with lunches as even fruit intake needs to be considered. At home I generally have leftovers of hot meals from dinner the night before or I have 2x vitaweet meal size or whatever theyre called, hummous, salad and tuna.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Holy crap that list is extensive. But it doesn't explain why you can't eat stuff. Ricotta and fetta not allowed?!?!? Sprouts?!?!? Mushrooms?!?!?

Well then my ob sucks cos she has no issues with almost all the food on that list.

I've broken every rule there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Holy crap that list is extensive. But it doesn't explain why you can't eat stuff. Ricotta and fetta not allowed?!?!? Sprouts?!?!? Mushrooms?!?!?

Well then my ob sucks cos she has no issues with almost all the food on that list.

I've broken every rule there.
    It's ridiculously over the top in my opinion but each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    It's ridiculously over the top in my opinion but each to their own.
    Agree. I mentioned up a friend today that I was still at the gym 2-3 times a week and she was shocked that I was still exercising. Couldn't believe that my doctor was ok with it all.

Ummmm I'm pregnant not dead. Life still goes on. I still have to pick up my toddler, chase her around, work and maintain my house.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

kw123  (23-04-2012),moongazer  (23-04-2012)