+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my first pregnancy I remember standing in a food court looking around nearly in tears because I didn't know what was OK to eat and what was not.

This time around I'm not as worried. I'm still careful, but I've eaten the BBQ chickens from coles and I've had smoothies from McDonalds. My diet is already really restricted by diabetes, and blood sugar issues are far more likely to cause problems with bub than listeria, so I'm focussing on that and eating as balanced a diet as I can. If eating ham keeps my BSL in the good range for longer then I will eat it!

Sometimes I wonder if the listeria hysteria thing is created by Drs to give paranoid pregnant women something to stress about

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still eating everything I did before ( I hate soft cheese and shellfish anyway).
    I'd never touch half the things in a food court because I think they're germy. That's all the time, especially Subway, sushi, self-serve Chinese food. Eww! Every time I've had food poisoning in the past it's been from Oportos or a kebab!

I read recently that women are now so paranoid about listeria they're eating hot chips and soft drinks more often. This cannot be healthy.
    In the end use your common sense and eat fresh healthy food that you know has been prepared safely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wippy View Post
    I read recently that women are now so paranoid about listeria they're eating hot chips and soft drinks more often. This cannot be healthy.
    In the end use your common sense and eat fresh healthy food that you know has been prepared safely.
    This is what bothers me. It seems it's safer to eat a burger and chips than a salad, and I just find it hard to believe that this could be better for our babies. That's my issue with some of these guidelines and how strictly some people interpret them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    This is what bothers me. It seems it's safer to eat a burger and chips than a salad, and I just find it hard to believe that this could be better for our babies. That's my issue with some of these guidelines and how strictly some people interpret them.
    It's a tough one, in my experience the only things that have made me sick (salmonella) have been burgers (McD's). You would think they would be one of the safest.

Eta...obviously this is different to listeria, which can come from contaminated food of many descriptions but is rare.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 22-04-2012 at 14:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post

Is cold chicken okay if you cooked it yourself the night before?

Yep - cold chicken which you have cooked yourself is fine. I worked on the premise that if I cooked it myself and I knew I used good hand hygiene then it would be fine for lunch the next day.

Ideas for lunches - I would cook chicken breast up and have chicken avocado and lettuce rolls or sandwiches.
    I would make curried egg the night before.
    I would cook up bacon and make a BLT the next day.
    I would eat chicken or tuna salads.
    I got right into vita weats with tomato and avocado.
    I took left overs and heated until steaming.

Just a few ideas as I really struggled at first. My usual was a ham and cheese sandwich, so being utd and the restrictions felt very hard.
    Last edited by moongazer; 22-04-2012 at 20:21.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    re the salad thing - I would not eat salad from a food court place, where it is obvious that the food has been sitting there a while....UNLESS I knew there was an extremely high turnover and had faith in the place.
    Salads from a cafe or such are most likely ok, as they are made to order.

I ate hot chickens too. The place we bought from cooked them fresh throughout the day as they were busy.

Gotta use your common sense and work out what risk is best for you.

Re the listeria thing - both times I was pregnant there were listeria breakouts and food recalls. Last pregnancy it was in a jar of semi dried tomatoes.
    My understanding is that there is no advice to avoid these foods in the UK as the risk is extremely low, however, as another poster said, if I can do anything to decrease the chances of infection, then I will.

Good luck guys! At least remember that it will end and you can gorge yourselves silly once bub comes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    I'm friends with a neonatologist. When I was pregnant I asked him about it all.

Women in Europe have an increase rate of complications from EColi, found in deli meat. It causes severe brain damage inutero.

He has looked after babies infected with Listeria, and recommends women follow the guidelines.

When I was pregnant, there was 2 recalls of food with suspected contamination of listeria. I ate deli meat on pizza i cooked myself, I didn't eat prepared food in a fridge -that included sushi, sandwiches and salads. I slipped up once or twice, by accident. But I believe that you need to make the decision based on what you can live with. If my girls were infected with listeria or another preventable infection, I would never be able to forgive myself. And so I don't take the risk. People used to tell me that they ate ham/alcohol/ect and they're babies fine. I think they are trying to justify their own decisions, and they have no investment in your baby.
    I completely agree! As a NICU nurse I have looked after 2 babies following in-utero listeria infection, both died. As a midwife I have looked after 3 women with prem labour bought on by listeria infection, one baby was 22 weeks and died, one was 30 weeks and survived with serious lung complications, and one was 32 weeks and died...a small number compared to the huge number of women and babies I have cared for, but would I risk it because I'm craving some ham, hell no!
    I am currently pregnant with my first, and I think if you can't say no to high risk foods or alcohol for 9 months, you're being very selfish and short-sighted.
    Hate me if you will, but that's my opinion.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicpic For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (24-04-2012),MissMuppet  (24-04-2012),moongazer  (22-04-2012),smootch  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read the other day that you can't eat any type of sprouts - alfa alfa sprouts, brussel sprouts, etc hot or cold.

Is that true??

I ordered from chinese last night, stir fried vegetables and soft noodles, cause I figured that was the safest option, and not until I was about half way through did I realise there were sprouts in it. Can't remember what ones, but they are commonly used in chinese food. I didn't eat another thing after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrookieR View Post
    I read the other day that you can't eat any type of sprouts - alfa alfa sprouts, brussel sprouts, etc hot or cold.

Is that true??

I ordered from chinese last night, stir fried vegetables and soft noodles, cause I figured that was the safest option, and not until I was about half way through did I realise there were sprouts in it. Can't remember what ones, but they are commonly used in chinese food. I didn't eat another thing after that.
    Where did you read this? Sprouts like all veges need to be washed. There is no reason to not eat them otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read not to eat sprouts as well. I can't remember where I read it though, or the reasoning behind it.

ETA http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...egnancy-table/

food authority of NSW is the first website I came across to suggest not eating sprouts. I haven't looked further. When I was pregnant I had heard this many times. Not to eat them raw, or just lightly cook them to eat.

Brussels sprouts are fine - they are a vegetable and cooked accordingly. Just don't eat sprouts in a salad I guess, similar to raw mushrooms. Once cooked, they are fine.
    Last edited by moongazer; 23-04-2012 at 13:58.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Leafy  (25-04-2012)