+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    Do you mean soft cheese like feta? My GP said no imported cheese. Something like Philadelphia cream cheese is pasteurised so should be OK ... or is that just me being hopeful??

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub
    Cream cheese is fine. In Australia most soft cheeses are made from pasturised milk.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

angelini  (22-04-2012),Guest1234  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have taken on board all of the lists my GP and Ob have given me, but I do take them with a pinch of salt. I already eat a restricted diet as i dont eat any colours, flavours, preservatives etc and try to only eat organic fruit and veg. A lot of what is on the lists I dont eat due to reasons other than listeria, for example deli meat is full of preservatives, most prepared salads are covered in dressing thats full of colours, flavours, hydrogenated oil, msg, preservatives. Sushi and soft cheese, although i love them and usually eat them, i have avoided the whole pregnancy. But geez avoiding mushroom because its not cooked (appeared on one of my lists) is taking it too far.

While I respect that there is a very dangerous risk attached to eating these so called 'no-no foods' I feel that if you eat a very good diet before getting pregnant and make sensible choices you should be at very low risk of getting sick or it making the baby sick - thats just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for all the info. Very interesting.
    I've never heard the mushroom thing though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't consider Feta a soft cheese. I eat it often.

Is cold chicken okay if you cooked it yourself the night before?

e.g. this is something I have regularly, not sure if I can continue now that I'm pregnant (first pregnancy). I cut up chicken breasts into pieces, strips & marinate them during the day in a bit of pesto. Then cook them (stir/pan fry) for dinner and have them hot with salad. I usually make enough that there is leftover chicken, so I take it in a salad (freshly made the next morning) to work and eat it for lunch and I have feta in the salad!). But the chicken is obviously cold, not heated, in that scenario. Is that okay? Sorry, I just don't know. It's my first pregnancy - don't see the ob for weeks and haven't seen my GP yet as this is all through my IVF clinic. They haven't said I shouldn't eat anything.

I find this all a bit OTT, to be honest. Are women in Europe losing babies from listeria left, right & centre? No. I read that the Australian guidelines are by far more restrictive than any other country, for seemingly no good reason.
    Last edited by peoniesarepretty; 22-04-2012 at 11:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just ate sensibly, didn't really cut out anything. If I feel it is safe enough to eat while not pregnant, I'll eat it while pregnant. So good use by dates, smells/looks fresh, washed and clean, stored correctly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    I just ate sensibly, didn't really cut out anything. If I feel it is safe enough to eat while not pregnant, I'll eat it while pregnant. So good use by dates, smells/looks fresh, washed and clean, stored correctly.
    Same here.

The other month I even found out you shouldn't eat too much parsley coz it can cause uterine contractions. Can't use Vicks too. It's all OTT, way OTT.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's funny about parsley. My friend at work has four grown up children in their twenties. Each pregnancy she craved parsley she told me and ate loads of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm friends with a neonatologist. When I was pregnant I asked him about it all.

Women in Europe have an increase rate of complications from EColi, found in deli meat. It causes severe brain damage inutero.

He has looked after babies infected with Listeria, and recommends women follow the guidelines.

When I was pregnant, there was 2 recalls of food with suspected contamination of listeria. I ate deli meat on pizza i cooked myself, I didn't eat prepared food in a fridge -that included sushi, sandwiches and salads. I slipped up once or twice, by accident. But I believe that you need to make the decision based on what you can live with. If my girls were infected with listeria or another preventable infection, I would never be able to forgive myself. And so I don't take the risk. People used to tell me that they ate ham/alcohol/ect and they're babies fine. I think they are trying to justify their own decisions, and they have no investment in your baby.
    Last edited by speckled; 22-04-2012 at 12:55.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to speckled For This Useful Post:

CheekyChicken  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    in regards to Listeria monocytogenes - the bacteria that causes listeriosis in pregnancy is transmitted via contact with infected animals and their faecal material (cattle, pigs, rodents and birds) as consumption of unpasteurized milk/soft cheeses and unwashed vegetables.

Medical Microbiology (2001) p291

70% of the human population have this bacteria in their gut for short periods of time without showing symptoms/disease.

ALL australian milk products are pasteurized. so tasmanian brie is fine to eat as are any australian milk products. Yes you might be happier eating it pre packaged rather than from the deli.

Listeriosis is very different from just getting gastro/food poisoning which just makes you sick (throw up/diarrhoea).

What amazes me is people confusing a tummy bug with listeria. Listeria is extremely rare! 11 people in the WHOLE UK had it during pregnancy in 1990. And that halved from the previous year when they included French cheese in the not eat list. You are more likely to get nutritional deficiencies than listeria.

Yes it makes sense not to eat food sitting around for ages - pregnant or not. Yes dont eat food that you are suspect as to its prep. But you would avoid dodgy eating joints even if you werent pregnant.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The mushorooms thing makes sense to me, they're a fungi grown in moist humid conditions and grown in animal manure, so yes uncooked it may be wise to avoid them. If you choose to eat them uncooked, remove stalks, peel them and wash well.

Home cooked chicken eaten within 24 hours whether cold or hot should be totally fine so long as correct handling and storage is followed.

My mum worked in a nursing home and the elderly were not given salads due to listeria risk.

Listeria probably won't affect the pregnant mother much or at all if she's healthy. It does cross the placenta where the baby must fight the infection with its own (non existent) immune system. If there is no tests carried out on a still born or miscarried baby you would probably never realise why it died.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyChicken For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (22-04-2012)