+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks CheekyChicken, that's excellent information.... but can anyone tell me why soft serve ice cream is on there? I have always known 'not' to eat it when pregnant, but don't know why? It says on that info sheet that 'frozen' ice cream is safe - is it because soft serve is not maintained at the colder temp?? If so, then why is milk, hard cheese, etc ok at a non-frozen temp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLexiesmum View Post
    Thanks CheekyChicken, that's excellent information.... but can anyone tell me why soft serve ice cream is on there? I have always known 'not' to eat it when pregnant, but don't know why? It says on that info sheet that 'frozen' ice cream is safe - is it because soft serve is not maintained at the colder temp?? If so, then why is milk, hard cheese, etc ok at a non-frozen temp?
    I think this is more to do with the bacteria that may be on the soft serve machines. You don't know how often they are cleaned

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Letoti  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm so confused by all the foods I'm not supposed to eat so this thread has been interesting.

Eg. I live on toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and usually have them for work. I stopped, but presumably it's okay if it's heated/toasted??

I was also wondering about sushi. I wouldn't eat raw fish (though I love smoked salmon) but if the place is of high quality and they will make you fresh 'cooked' ones (eg chicken teriyaki etc) then presumably it's okay??

I find this so confusing! I had some hollandaise sauce the other week totally forgetting about the raw egg in it... But it's such a small amount and the sauce is heated anyway!?!

Confused!!!
    With sushi it's the rice that's a potential issue as well as the raw seafood obviously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLexiesmum View Post
    It's because in the machine, if it's not cleaned often enough and the turn over isn't good, then it can breed one of the nasties ( I get confused between the two, lol).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Letoti  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told as long as its pasteurised cows milk it's okay. I buy it in a bottle, it's marinated and the label states its pasteurised cows milk. I wouldn't eat unpasteurised feta. (like in the deli) but if I can read the label then I know for sure.
    A quick google search brought up loads of pages. Here's one:
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20031...k-in-pregnancy
    I think this is why I'm so confused all the time!! Haha.
    Sorry Tamtam, the link you've posted contains incorrect information unfortunately. Listeria can and does multiply at fridge temps. Here is a recent recall of an Australian (therefore pasteurized) brined cheese product that was contaminated with listeria http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1011043 with feta and other cheese during he pasteurization processes the bacteria is killed but the cheese is then allowed to mature in brine which means it can become reinfected unfortunately as listeria thrives in a moist environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cheeky... Interesting! No wonder I live in a constant state of confusion about food when pregnant. I've probably found s ton of websites that say the same and a ton opposing.

Bell and bug... Presumably if the sushi is fresh though and rice isn't reheated it'd be okay. ?? Japanese women must eat sushi still??

I think I'll just stick with vegemite on toast. Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you make sushi yourself it's fine. In Japan the rice is mixed with a stronger vinegar concentrate making the ph more resistant to bacteria. The other risk with sushi is a long of handling and cross contamination risk.

Tamtam, different countries have different guidelines regarding pregnancy. The link I gave is the aust and nz guidelines and yes they're very cautious here compared with other countries. It is up to you what level of risk you take, listeria is very rare, unfortunately very dangerous to unborn babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've heard it's the rice in sushi that can be a problem. I remember watching the news and they said the vast majority of sushi outlets were found not to have good hygiene and food practices. I havent't bought sushi since, pregnant or not :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bell and bug... Presumably if the sushi is fresh though and rice isn't reheated it'd be okay. ?? Japanese women must eat sushi still??
    I've never known rice to be heated for sushi.
    The risk comes from the rice being cooked in big batches, and stored for long periods of time. The moisture in the rice is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
    French women still eat soft cheeses. I'd assume Japanese women still eat sushi. It's different in every country. I'd probably trust sushi in Japan more than I would in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes benji, unfortunately true. There was a government study done on sushi outlets in act and I think over 80 places were tested 12% of samples contained listeria, there were also other bacteria present such as e coli and bAcillis cereus- the nasty one found in rice.

Heres the link to the study http://health.act.gov.au/health-serv...ality-of-sushi