+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you wash everything it is fine. I do follow everything to the t and don't eat any deli meats - even when heated. But with following all the rules last pregnancy, I had a still born daughter.... trust me, listeria was definitely up there in the causes they were testing for (about a million blood tests were taken before she was born). Once she was born, we knew she had died from a cord accident (around her neck so tight it left welts) but at least I knew I was safe with the listeria thing. Being pregnant again now, I'm doing it all the same, even though I think we've had our share of 'bad luck', I'm not game to risk it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, stupid question then: if I wash my salad vegetables and they are okay, could I theoretically wash my ham and it be find? (Don't worry, I'm not going to start washing my ham!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think it's all getting quite restrictive and seems to be suggesting women limit their diets so much that they're probably not getting many nutrients in.

TBH, pregnant or not, if I want something I eat it. I can see sense in avoiding high-risk foods like raw seafood... but going, "OMG, that tomato might have been sitting there cut for 5 whole minutes before I swallowed it... I'm such a bad mother and my baby is going to die!" is a bit OTT for me. I'll eat that damn tomato if I so wish.
    This. TBH I think women are ridiculously paranoid about listeria. My OB said I could eat whatever i wanted and the chances of getting listeria poisoning are VERY unlikely. He has only had one woman in 25 years affected by it, and she ate pate` and mouldy cheeses several times a week the whole pregnancy. I ate ham (as fresh from deli as poss), precooked seafood (only from my local seafood shop who cook prawns daily) etc. But each their own

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

JDiddy  (22-04-2012),peoniesarepretty  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so confused by all the foods I'm not supposed to eat so this thread has been interesting.

Eg. I live on toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and usually have them for work. I stopped, but presumably it's okay if it's heated/toasted??

I was also wondering about sushi. I wouldn't eat raw fish (though I love smoked salmon) but if the place is of high quality and they will make you fresh 'cooked' ones (eg chicken teriyaki etc) then presumably it's okay??

I find this so confusing! I had some hollandaise sauce the other week totally forgetting about the raw egg in it... But it's such a small amount and the sauce is heated anyway!?!

Confused!!!
    Last edited by Tamtam; 22-04-2012 at 08:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    Well, stupid question then: if I wash my salad vegetables and they are okay, could I theoretically wash my ham and it be find? (Don't worry, I'm not going to start washing my ham!)
    I'm no expert but I think the no deli meat i.e. ham thing is due to fact you don't know the age of it in the deli as there are no date stamps etc on it so you are relying on something to be fresh, stored at the right temp to prevent bacterial growth etc. if you wanted ham I think the prepackaged style like 'hans' ham would be the safer choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    Different bacteria for those things - your concern with deli meats and soft cheeses is listeria, with salad stuff (I think) it's toxoplasmosis which is in soil and can be washed off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mean soft cheese like feta? My GP said no imported cheese. Something like Philadelphia cream cheese is pasteurised so should be OK ... or is that just me being hopeful??

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    Do you mean soft cheese like feta? My GP said no imported cheese. Something like Philadelphia cream cheese is pasteurised so should be OK ... or is that just me being hopeful??

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub
    I was also told that pasteurised was fine. So feta etc is fine as long as its not imported.
    So many different opinions it just confuses me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Philly is fine, feta is not. Its all in here http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/Listeria.pdf

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheekyChicken For This Useful Post:

angelini  (22-04-2012),giggle berry  (23-04-2012),Letoti  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    Philly is fine, feta is not. Its all in here http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/Listeria.pdf
    I was told as long as its pasteurised cows milk it's okay. I buy it in a bottle, it's marinated and the label states its pasteurised cows milk. I wouldn't eat unpasteurised feta. (like in the deli) but if I can read the label then I know for sure.
    A quick google search brought up loads of pages. Here's one:
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20031...k-in-pregnancy
    I think this is why I'm so confused all the time!! Haha.