+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Listeria confusion/paranoia

You would think after as many pregnancies as I've had I'd have worked this one out. BUT, no I haven't.

Soft cheese, ham, sushi: don't eat. That's easy.

But salad.
    Prepackaged coleslaw type things, okay, I get that. But what about the salad in my fridge? Can I make a salad at home and it will be safe? If pre-chopped salads at restaurants should be avoided, then can I not cut a slice of tomato or cucumber and then cut another slice the next day and the next day? How long can I keep a lettuce for before it's not safe to eat anymore?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm very interested in this too, as I'm clueless. So subscribing.

When you say no ham, is that just no cold ham? So say, a hot ham & cheese toastie would be fine, yes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read somewhere that prepacked salads you buy is fine as long as you wash them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure the listeria would come from the dirt from being fertilized etc. So it's easier to control at home as you know you've washed it thoroughly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ham and deli meats are fine if heated to steaming. Eg on pizza or if VERY hot in a toastie. Heat kills listeria.
    If you cook a roast the night prior, you should be ok having that as a cold sandwich meat the next day if you store it safely in fridge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's no deli meat, because it sits out all day long and can be touched by other meats and contaminated.

BUT deli meat is fine if you cook it until its sizzling, which kills any bacteria that could be in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know that when the food is steaming it is fine, as the heat destroys the bacteria but the cold doesnt. So I eg followed my salami craving simply by putting it on pizza or in a sandwich maker.
    As for salad, i wouldnt look as much on the day count but just in general if it appears fresh. I wouldnt eat soggy tomatos anyway eg. I eat take away from the salad bar as it is always fresh and very clean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Salads from home are more easily controlled. Wash your lettuce and veg.
    I would take fresh washed lettuce to work and then whole tomatoes and pieces of cucumber etc, and give it a quick wash and fresh chop at work. If this is not possible for you, freshly made that morning would be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's all getting quite restrictive and seems to be suggesting women limit their diets so much that they're probably not getting many nutrients in.

TBH, pregnant or not, if I want something I eat it. I can see sense in avoiding high-risk foods like raw seafood... but going, "OMG, that tomato might have been sitting there cut for 5 whole minutes before I swallowed it... I'm such a bad mother and my baby is going to die!" is a bit OTT for me. I'll eat that damn tomato if I so wish.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

babycake  (22-04-2012),Bellaxo  (25-04-2012),bokkie_wotwot  (22-04-2012),Bonkers  (24-04-2012),Guest1234  (22-04-2012),kk88  (22-04-2012),peoniesarepretty  (22-04-2012),Wippy  (22-04-2012),~Marigold~  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that if you pre-prepare a salad at home it's fine, in the fridge, for several hours until dressing is added.