+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I get a new carseat after an accident??

As the title says.... Should I??
    A lady ran up the back of me yesterday and luckily there is not too much damage and due to her being in a small car and me in a medium sized 4x4. She copped more than I did and im just so thankful that nobody was seriously hurt. Anyways, i was reporting it to my insurance and she advised that any carseat that had been involved in an accident should be replaced and I am in two minds about it.
    The impact was hard enough that I have some whiplash and a sore back but dd seems to be fine. We are off to the dr tomorrow to get checked out.
    The carseat I have is the safe and sound meridian ahr so its really padded and has the side impact head things...
    My insurer will pay up to $400 for me to get a new seat and they destroy the old one.
    I guess I'm in two minds because I hate to be wasteful if the seat is perfectly ok but I also want to do the safest thing for dd. I'm pretty confident the accident did not cause any damage to the carseat but I'm no expert!
    So what would you do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I probably would, it's the sort of thing I'd rather err on the side of caution with.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would. I'd always have the what if scenario playing in the back of my mind otherwise

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would get a new seat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the quick replies! I definitely think I would always be thinking 'what if' and if anything ever happened and the seat was faulty I would never forgive myself.
    .... So carseat shopping we go!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

Hollywood  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if there is no visible damage the car seat would have buffered the impact. It's the damage that you can't see that is the problem. If you were to be involved in another crash the seat may not provide sufficient protection for your child. I don't know you but I am sure you would never forgive yourself if anything happened. Don't be left wondering what if...
    Especially if insurance will pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    Even if there is no visible damage the car seat would have buffered the impact. It's the damage that you can't see that is the problem. If you were to be involved in another crash the seat may not provide sufficient protection for your child. I don't know you but I am sure you would never forgive yourself if anything happened. Don't be left wondering what if...
    Very true! Of course the safety of dd comes before anything so I will be off tomorrow to buy a new one! We have been using the spare one in dh's car since yesterday so I guess my mind was already made up but just wanted to see if I was being too paranoid!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    Yes, this. That's exactly why they say to replace it. The webbing and safety features can be compromised in an accident. Your accident didn't sound too bad, but even after that one you wouldn't want to be involved in a more serious one after that seat has been involved.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    wow, just read your post, hope you're both ok! Yes, i'd definately get the new seat too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you are both ok!
    I'm not too sure how it works, but it might be worth a call to safe n sound / britax to find out... When we bought our meridians, I remember reading something about a crash exchange program for car seats that have been involved in accidents...

Personally, I would get it replaced just for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Kadence; 22-04-2012 at 20:03.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kadence For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-04-2012)