+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default how long do your nappies REALLY last?

I'm interested to know if you have actually used the same nappies on two children. I only had a small stash for my first son - maybe 15 nappies? - and he was only in cloth for 18 months, and I didn't even use them full time. He was often naked or in terry flats (summer lasts for 11 1/2 months here, so we can get away with that ). Several nappies were had it before he was finished with them.

Only three survived him and then two years of storage: my three BBH fitted. They had been my favourite nappy, so I used them more than anything else. I got another nine months of only at-home use with baby number two before they were so misshapen they wouldn't stay on and I through them out. They had in excess of 350 washes.

My second boy has 18-20 nappies, and is naked more than his brother was. He's been in full time cloth since they started to fit - so far 14-15 months. We stopped using cloth overnight a few months ago. I wash every 3 days, and rarely run out. Already one nappy is just about had it. I wrecked one Itti Bitti AIO by hanging it incorrectly on the line. At least one other nappy is going to be had it by the time he's finished with them.

We're having one more baby in October. I had been thinking that we'll just use up and wear out whatever nappies we had left from DS2 (hoping he'll be out of nappies by then ), and the pile of terry flats that get used occasionally. Then just fill in the gaps when we go out with disposables. But now I'm thinking that maybe that won't be an option because my nappies probably won't last that long.

Have many of you really got use for 2 kids out of your nappies, and has it only been done by having a stash of 30 or more nappies?

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    gosh .. I was a bit more of an addict than you .. lol - I probably had close to 30 nappies by the time I had DS2 ...

the nappies that survived DS1 and DS2 best were the greenkids and honeyboys ... but then they were probably 2/3 of my stash anyway ... tough nappies

I bought probably close to 20 for DS1 .. then reused most of them for DS2 and just bulked up the stash (because I had an excuse lol) but I definitely saved lots of money doing so ..

I love terry flats too especially around the house. I used a bummi if there was any chance he would fall asleep with the terry on, but otherwise it was just a beautiful chunky terry flat

I almost envy you - the idea of shopping for nappies *drool* ... but we are past all that in this house now ..

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just a cheapskate. I have as few nappies as I can get away with!

I haven't tried Green Kids. I HATE velcro, and prefer AI2s to pockets.

Oh, and there is nothing more gorgeous than a baby in a white singlet and a white terry flat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    I'm just a cheapskate. I have as few nappies as I can get away with!

I haven't tried Green Kids. I HATE velcro, and prefer AI2s to pockets.

Oh, and there is nothing more gorgeous than a baby in a white singlet and a white terry flat.
    ahhh see velcro nappies (good quality velcro) were my favs .. I hated snaps .. lol

just proves that every mum is very different

I agree - a bubba in a white singlet and nappy looks so natural and cute

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grade one teacher hated the sound of velcro and forbade us to undo and do up our shoes in her presence. I have hated the sound of velcro ever since. True story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    My grade one teacher hated the sound of velcro and forbade us to undo and do up our shoes in her presence. I have hated the sound of velcro ever since. True story.
    rofl - too funny .. guess that just proves how much someone can influence our lives at that age

I hate the sound of the snaps ... so there ya go .. we're both just a little odd

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    subscribing. My BBH medium magic-alls are currently in storage for baby #2. Used them from about 4-12 months with DS and I only had 15 or so. DS is in the large BBH now but is also in some cheapies for daycare 3 days a week, so i wonder if the large will last better. I'd better get 2 kid's worth of wear out of them, they cost a fortune

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    gosh .. I was a bit more of an addict than you .. lol - I probably had close to 30 nappies by the time I had DS2 ...

the nappies that survived DS1 and DS2 best were the greenkids and honeyboys ... but then they were probably 2/3 of my stash anyway ... tough nappies

I bought probably close to 20 for DS1 .. then reused most of them for DS2 and just bulked up the stash (because I had an excuse lol) but I definitely saved lots of money doing so ..

I love terry flats too especially around the house. I used a bummi if there was any chance he would fall asleep with the terry on, but otherwise it was just a beautiful chunky terry flat

I almost envy you - the idea of shopping for nappies *drool* ... but we are past all that in this house now ..

Jen
    Nah i reckon u should have just one more ^_^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I had way more nappies than that lol. And mine were never in storage as my boys are 20 months apart and I had two in cloth for a while there (hence so many nappies, I only wanted to wash every 2-3 days).

I found the good quality ones such as NicNaps and Wild Child lasted well. I have even passed some of them onto a friend's baby so that's the third child. She had to have a few boosters replaced.

Of course some of them the elastic went, no surprise really, I wouldn't expect any clothes to last that many washes and especially when my kids got the acid teething wee!

I think I got my money's worth out of them. They worked out cheaper than sposies and my reason for using them was environmental anyway

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of my stash is bbh fitteds, both bamboo and hemp. Some of them are about to be used for the fourth child. I like them because they still work fine even when the elastic dies, you just need new covers.