+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you hide your little secret?

how did you "hide" your pregnancy for those first 12 weeks from family and friends? Especially at birthdays and social occasions where you would usually be seen having a couple drinks?

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just drank lemonade and pretended it had vodka in it lol I found most people never even asked what was in my drink!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd have plain ginger ale and refer to it as "my usual" - as in "DH, could you get me another glass of my usual" or " just the usual for me thanks" and nobody blinked so much as an eye.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Wippy  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had dh pour me a small wine (like a half glass so it looked like I had been drinking) & then I just carried it around while talking. People never seem to notice how much (or how little) you drink! I always made sure they knew I was the designated driver so my glass couldn't be topped up (another excuse for drinking slowly).

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elbie View Post
    I had dh pour me a small wine (like a half glass so it looked like I had been drinking) & then I just carried it around while talking.
    Oh I'd forgotten that one, I did that too.

And the rueful smile, "designated driver tonight I'm afraid" always worked well

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elbie View Post
    I had dh pour me a small wine (like a half glass so it looked like I had been drinking) & then I just carried it around while talking. People never seem to notice how much (or how little) you drink! I always made sure they knew I was the designated driver so my glass couldn't be topped up (another excuse for drinking slowly).
    This. Every now and then put the glass to your lips, and every now and then "accidentally" leave it somewhere so people can see you getting another. I also did the ol' switcheroo with my DP when his glass was almost empty. No-one notices a thing. In fact, I told my 2 BFF's I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago after being with them 3 full days while everyone else was drinking. One of them was practically yelling at me- "but I've SEEN you!!! you've been drinking ALL WEEKEND!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We found out not long before xmas.. we told our parents and close friends but the rest of the family had no idea. We used the excuse "we dont drink when we are out and have the kids" (which is half true, but usually we would still have one or 2). It was more trying to hide the debilitating all day sickness xmas day. Im lucky in that Im not a big drinker anyway, so nobody really bats an eyelid if i dont have a drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't end up waiting lol. We told hubbies best friend because we needed to find a good doctor in town, then I told Mum because I thought if friends knew before mum then that was a bit slack so I rang her too After that word just spread lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just used my normal excuse that I was driving and hubby was drinking. Everyone knows I'm mega paranoid about having a drink if I'm driving and the girls in our family are always the designated drivers softie our hubbies so I went unnoticed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm driving, or I just pretend to drink by carrying wine around and eventually chucking it.
    This week I have a big family dinner so I might have a few lemonades/ginger ales sans vodka and then say I'm driving. Fingers crossed it works!